Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #76
Veteran Member

I had the Pentax version and it's the only lens i sold and didnt like. so many people and tastes =]

09-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
SDM and $900, no thanks

Makes me glad I have an 18-250 with good old fashioned, and reliable, screw drive technology. Now, if it's really DC technology like the 18-135WR that is a completely different story.
My SDM 18-135 already outlasts my 18-250 by Tamron... Although I must admit it is not the screwdrive that failed but twice already the aperture lever sticks... And coincidence or not, when that happened the same thing happen4d to my up till then trusted and much appreciated Tamron 28-75/2.8. What a lens that was, but not sealed .

Now that I think of it, I never got excited about the idea of FF Pentax, just not for me, but if that may lead to a sealed DFA* 20-70/2.8 I will be the first to order... (the 28-70 that is...)
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

18-135 heeft DC geen SDM
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Hey, I have the Pentax DA 18-250. And, despite the technical compromises inherent in the lens design, it is a surprisingly good lens in the real world. It remains in demand to this day. Yes, there is some distortion at the extremes but those who have never used this lens would be shocked at how good it is from 28 to 200mm. The newer 18-270 is reportedly every bit as good and even a bit better. In fact, if memory serves correctly, the Tamron 18-270 won all kinds of awards when it was first released. If the Pentax version of the 18-270 has WR and the ring focusing motor, I'm sure it would be a home run. Of course, that's unlikely.
I resist the temptation to buy a superzoom. No matter how good it is, it will never be as good as primes and shorter fast zooms, so best to avoid wasting money on something I'll end up never using.

The "awards" for lenses usually go to the best superzooms, they're awards aimed purely at selling to the average joe, and that means superzooms almost exclusively.

09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #80
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I resist the temptation to buy a superzoom. No matter how good it is, it will never be as good as primes and shorter fast zooms, so best to avoid wasting money on something I'll end up never using

I strongly agree. I've even taught exactly along those lines.

If I had to start all over on any new camera system. I'd start off with primes; preferably the best optical lens, but still also keeping a good aperature. It's strange to see a lens that has a very poor aperature or one that somehow strays into that area with a variable aperature. Sure it cuts down on cost, size/weight and all, but... It also then adds to it when having to deal with poor lighting. Which is also why I have a gadget bag typically needing as many lens' as possibly, versus just two or three