Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Aside from the 645 lens, When are Pentax going to get serious and release some new fast primes!? Seeing this makes me glad I made the right move and switched to a FF Nikon.
If Pentax did release some new fast primes, they wouldn't fit on the FF Nikon you've switched to. Now, back on topic let's see, the equivalent to a 18-270 APS-C on the Nikon FF you've switched to would be a 27-405. I don't think Tamron makes one of those, even for the Nikon FF you've switched to.

But, back on topic again, I'm glad I made no move, and stuck with my old fast primes, because they fit my K2DMD, and my LX, as well as my K-5 and my K20D, although, if I did buy a Pentax 18-270, it could replace to Tamron 18-200 that wouldn't fit a FF Nikon, either, even if I did switch to one.

(sorry, did you say you'd switched to FF Nikon? )

09-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If Pentax did release some new fast primes, they wouldn't fit on the FF Nikon you've switched to
Who said anything about trying to fit them onto Nikon? They would fit my MZ-5 however...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think Tamron makes one of those, even for the Nikon FF you've switched to.
Meh, no loss for me. I dont like zooms!
09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Soccer Mom with her unprotected camera on a strap without a hood (and probably with no lens cap and a cheap UV filter) buys zooms and the longer the reach the more likely it is to sell
Problem with that being, soccer mum and her unprotected camera without hood doesnt buy expensive lenses, she sticks to the kit lens/twin lens kit because thats all she wants.
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, to Prime Aficionados that lens is the antithesis of what they love about their hobby. However, for a company struggling to build market share that lens represents two VERY important things: 1) its a rebuilding of a VERY important relationship with a 3rd party lens maker, and 2) it represents a VERY attractive lens for the consumer market.

Soccer Mom with her unprotected camera on a strap without a hood (and probably with no lens cap and a cheap UV filter) buys zooms and the longer the reach the more likely it is to sell - particularly if it is smallish. A LOT more buyers like that one then like us here on PF. So, if Pentax really wants to enlarge its presence in the consumer range of dSLRs it has to offer a wider range of cameras (K-300, K-30, K-5mkII, and K-3) and it has to offer a solid range of consumer zooms (the longer the better frankly).
While not improbable, the soccer mom would need some serious convincing to spend $800 on a lens. I'd guess the DA 18-135mm WR would be the compromise lens they decide upon (maybe that's the goal to have in local shops... ).

I'd rather see the 3rd party sell the lenses as a 3rd party than to see marked up Pentax versions (WR being one of the few exceptions unless Tamron rolls their own form of WR). I'm guessing their continued relationship is partly why Pentax mount didn't see all of their designs (the other part being Pentax market share).

I'd say there is a decent chance the lens will be cheaper than we think, or at least go down in price quickly. If it does have WR and somehow is decent optically... Yeah, it would be a decent option for situations where a lot of range is needed and expected weather conditions will be bad enough to not consider switching out lenses.

On a related note, I'd like to see more Tokina lenses for Pentax.

09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
On a related note, I'd like to see more Tokina lenses for Pentax.
Wishful thinking here but I agree, as I'd also like to see even a few new ones from Zeiss and Voigtlander
09-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #36
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If the 18-270 is released as a Pentax-branded lens, would it be safe to assume that Pentax bodies will be able to correct distortion? Looking at the Photozone review of the Nikon mount variant of this lens, distortion seems to be a major drawback.

Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD - Review / Test Report

Actually, looking at that review, at seems that the lens is not a great performer. Of course the Nikon version has vibration correction, which the Pentax won't need, so it won't be exactly the same.

I think it is good to have this in the line up. Some customers are attracted by the extreme specs of such lenses, so it could help sell more DSLRs. If you don't like the performance, get more moderate lens. If you don't like the price, the Tamron 18-200 is available much cheaper.
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Problem with that being, soccer mum and her unprotected camera without hood doesnt buy expensive lenses, she sticks to the kit lens/twin lens kit because thats all she wants.
Yes but soccer mom would be willing to buy a super zoom that way she does not have change lens and when she does she will be financing all the R&D for the expensive lens that others want. If the soccer moms did not buy Mini Vans there would be no Corvettes.

09-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

You obviously don't have kids playing in the leagues mine do. The wives of the doc's and lawyers only care that its expensive and a long telephoto at many of the games I've been to over the past couple years.
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
.....On a related note, I'd like to see more Tokina lenses for Pentax.
I'd settle for ANY Tokina lenses being currently made in K mount.
09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
When the Tamron 18-250 was around, you get get that lens as either the Tamron-branded version or as the Pentax DA 18-250.
But neither had quick shift nor WR, features that many Pentax folk really appreciate. I have enjoyed several Tamrons in my A200 and K200d days, but would prefer Pentax to produce its special-feature lenses in house rather than contract out.
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

My first digital SLR was the K10D. I bought it at Ritz and their package was the 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 70-300 thrown in for free. I doubt that anybody will be offering a package with the 18-270 if the selling price is that high. The 18-55 and 55-300 are sold as a bundle sometimes and gives the soccer moms all they need. Personally, I would rather use a super zoom P&S than carry around a DSLR with a big honking lens mounted all the time but I see a lot of them around on Nikons and Canons so there is a market for them.
09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
900 for a superzoom is expensive...
09-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #43

Tamron 18-270 should be fine lens so this is good news...assuming that we pentax users get something extra for paying much more money to get DA 18-270 compared to price of Tamron 18-270...if we only pay extra to get DA lens outlook but lens is still same as Tamron labeled then I would personally like to buy copy that says Tamron on it. So for me it is very interesting to know exact details before having final opinion about this matter...

But i really hope for WR, AF matching more better for Pentax bodies, no OS/VR (and extra classes for VR removed for better IQ), lens have original strong "Pentax colors" (even typical Tamron colors more near than Sigmas). If something like this, maybe I will even buy this lens. If this lens really is good then 900$ is just fine compared to Nikon 18-200 Vr
09-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
(...)
But i really hope for WR, AF matching more better for Pentax bodies, no OS/VR (and extra classes for VR removed for better IQ), lens have original strong "Pentax colors" (even typical Tamron colors more near than Sigmas). If something like this, maybe I will even buy this lens. If this lens really is good then 900$ is just fine compared to Nikon 18-200 Vr
As for the Pentax labelled Tamron:

- no WR
- no in-lens stabilization (same as the Sony version: the stabilization group is blocked)
- but in-body corrections (distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations).
09-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #45
TZH

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
Tamron 18-270 should be fine lens so this is good news...assuming that we pentax users get something extra for paying much more money to get DA 18-270 compared to price of Tamron 18-270...if we only pay extra to get DA lens outlook but lens is still same as Tamron labeled then I would personally like to buy copy that says Tamron on it. So for me it is very interesting to know exact details before having final opinion about this matter...

...but $900 you can get a used DA* ?