Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #1

Why do u love Pentax

I am thinking that some of these answers will instill some confidence into the company Pentax/Hoya into persuing their photographic design ambitions and maybe will also help as market research for future advertising campaigns.

02-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #2

Original Poster
Let me start. Part of the reason I love Pentax is in my sub consciense as a result of reading my grandfathers National Geographic magazines and seeng the Pentax adds. But now I see its because they areso innovative and creative............even against market trends. The main concern for Pentax is creating the technology which produces the best images.........they are not about sales oriented gimmicks. They have the true essence of the real photographer always in mind.
02-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
None of the other makers seems to give the same level of features for the money, and everybody else seems to go for high fps and other bragging rights instead of absolute image quality.
02-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
They have the true essence of the real photographer always in mind.
I'd say that as well. Pentax brings useful innovations to the table for demanding enthusiasts. That's why I like Pentax. Love them? Nah. It's just a company. I don't know anyone who works for Pentax.

If only Pentax began offering custom built cameras, then it would be a wrap.

Tricking out your camera is the future in my book.

02-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing that initially hooked me (and has kept me in the fold) is the way Pentax lenses transmit color. I will admit, though, that I have wavered over the years and contemplated jumps to Nikon and Leica. The reason I never changed systems was because I never could find enough of a quality difference to justify the extra amount of money it would cost to swap gear. Pentax is the best bang for the buck for pure imaging capability, IMO.
02-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a strange relationship with Pentax it seems.

I initially bought a Pentax SFXn because my father had a P50 and I wanted to be able to use his lowly (didn't know that then) Sigma telezoom without having to buy one myself. I was a poor student at the time... I loved it and used it for 15 years...

Over the years since, my photography needs have developed and Pentax always seemed to provide sth new exactly when I "needed" it...

First it was just lenses, like the FA50/1.4. But then I wanted to move to digital after taking relatively long being convinced. Decided on a reflex and hesitated between Nikon and Canon offerings, not liking either, after seeing the *istD was too expensive... I was just about to get me the 20D and to reinvest in lenses (with pain in my heart) when Pentax announced the *istDS. I got it as soon as possible and loved it for 2 years. I learned so much with that camera!! Still have it and will probably keep it just for that. After two years I was ready for a more feature rich camera and out of the blue Pentax brought me the K10D!

More recently it's the DA15/? limited that suddenly appeared on the roadmap. I expected most of the new lenses, but none of my sources ever mentioned that 15mm. Strangely enough that is the sole prime I was really missing!!

The reason I love Pentax is very personal as such. Pentax and me, we seem to be growing up together... Of course they have been around much longer than me, but still it feels this way... I suppose it's also about Pentax being a photographer's company rather than a camera company...

Wim
02-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say I love EVERYTHING that Pentax does or has done...

for example, I couldn't stand the controls and ergonomics of the SF-10

I don't understand their inability to put bounce on their cheapest flashes

etc

BUT... when they get it right, I simply LOVE using the cameras, and I LOVE the image quality.

I am regularly blown away by what comes out of my *ist DL, even on snapshots.

When I pair it with a lens like my Super Takumar 55mm, I see IQ that is phenomenal.

Plus, I enjoy using the cameras because they work the way I think.

Dave