Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you guys really arguing about coating acronyms now? I mean, wow... we're talking photography tools here, not some stupid lifestyle trend. The function is what matters.
Changes in coatings, if they are more than merely marketing names, are actually quite central to making good images.

09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you guys really arguing about coating acronyms now? I mean, wow... we're talking photography tools here, not some stupid lifestyle trend. The function is what matters.
Actually, we were discussing it. That said, the coatings on lenses are a big deal regarding their function. That makes SMC, Ghostless Coating, SP and Aero Bright Coating important. Drop the Ghostless Coating from both Ltd series and through in a cheap substitute coating and those lenses would be dramatically reduced in performance as well as rendering characteristics.
09-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
LIJ
Forum Member

I find it strange that they would replace the SMC designation just because they developed a new type of coating. As far as I know SMC has developed over the years but the name has been kept.
09-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I find it strange that they would replace the SMC designation just because they developed a new type of coating. As far as I know SMC has developed over the years but the name has been kept.
This is what I was trying to get at. The DA* 55/1.4 had SMC with Aero Bright added to it. What exactly that means, only Pentax knows. I have been trying to figure Aero Bright out ever since it was released.

09-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
it is likely just a marketing ploy.
Agreed.
09-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I agree, but with a new company at the helm there may be a few changes that make less sense than other <cough>Maximum Assured Pricing<cough>
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Besides all those lously auxiliary lenses of off-brands (which often have HD in the name), HD is the acronym used for Hoya's top of the line filters. It seems bizzare that not only would Pentax change the acronym to this, one which is already in use, but in use by none other the company which they have been sold off from, Hoya!
09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Besides all those lously auxiliary lenses of off-brands (which often have HD in the name), HD is the acronym used for Hoya's top of the line filters. It seems bizzare that not only would Pentax change the acronym to this, one which is already in use, but in use by none other the company which they have been sold off from, Hoya!
Given that Aerobright appears to have been developed under Hoya it isn't so startling that Hoya and Pentax, even after their split, might share the same name for a coating process.

09-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree, but with a new company at the helm there may be a few changes that make less sense than other <cough>Maximum Assured Pricing<cough>
It was the old company that degraded the name "Takumar", don't forget. As a marketing move, that one achieved a new low (even Hoya left the names alone).
09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Given that Aerobright appears to have been developed under Hoya it isn't so startling that Hoya and Pentax, even after their split, might share the same name for a coating process.
The HD filters are so named not just as a coating process, but as special hardened glass (and in the case of the polarizers, a special new polarizing film that transmits more light, IIRC).
09-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
The HD filters are so named not just as a coating process, but as special hardened glass (and in the case of the polarizers, a special new polarizing film that transmits more light, IIRC).
Yes, that is one of the main aspects of the Hoya HD Filters. But, if you read the entire page at the Hoya site you find this as well:
"WATERPROOF / SCRATCH & STAIN RESISTANT MULTI-COATING
Specialized coatings that are not just water-proof to repel water spots but also hardened to be scratch and stain resistant"

Given that Hoya owned Pentax, why wouldn't they take Pentax's coatings technology and apply it to their filters? Pentax has long enjoyed a good reputation for its lens coating technology.
09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure the lens and the marketing started while Hoya still owned Pentax. The use of the coatings and the designation were finalized long before Ricoh bought the company. Maybe Ricoh/Pentax will continue it or maybe they will revert back to the legacy SMC or a SMC II designation. Is it really that important?
09-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax haven't abandoned their 'super multi coating' designation (although is it just me, or does it bring southern fried chicken to mind?) After K, SMC are the next most Pentaxy letters of the alphabet.
09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter

HD... great, makes it sound like cheap Chinese junk from flea-bay. Lets hope it stands for hyper-sonic.(drive)

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.
09-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #30

To be fair, "Super Multi-Coat" does sound pretty fricking stupid.