Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
HD = Highly Defective

09-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
You drop a couple notchs in my book Pentax if you start labeling lens with the cheessy HD name.
09-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,794
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
You drop a couple notchs in my book Pentax if you start labeling lens with the cheessy HD name.
Does the marketing department have anymore notches to fall?
09-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,247
645D has no in-body SR, Pentax makes lens with stabilization....GOOD

09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member
pentaximus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Covington, Georgia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 915
Yippee! Something new for the forum to whine about.
09-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
In the Press Release for the DA 645 25mm, Aero Bright is described thus:
QuoteQuote:
3. Aero Bright Coating to dramatically improve transmittance

This lens is treated with PENTAX-original Aero Bright Coating, which assures an outstanding anti-reflection performance over a broader wavelength range to deliver images that are more brilliant and in higher quality than those produced by previous models. Born as the fruit of PENTAX’s advanced nanotechnology, this exclusive coating reduces lens reflectance and greatly improves light transmittance by forming a silica aerogel layer with uniform pores on the surface of optical elements.
The key to this possibly lies in the reference to nanotechnology. Nano coatings are referred to in this article: What does a 'nano crystal coat' do on this lens? - Photography, which details the difference between multi-coating and nanocoating, even though the specific lens referred to was a Nikon one.

Don't know about ghostless coating, although from the name that could apply to either multi or nano-coating. On the surface of it (no pun intended) the acronym "HD" is, I agree, an undistinguished term to apply to a lens coating, unless it stands for something that none of us has seriously worked out, yet.
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you guys really arguing about coating acronyms now? I mean, wow... we're talking photography tools here, not some stupid lifestyle trend. The function is what matters.

Well, there's a shortage of other substance in these rumors. Gotta argue something
09-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #38
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Well, there's a shortage of other substance in these rumors. Gotta argue something
Argument, as defined in the Book of Python, is "a logically-connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition". From the same source "this is mere contention".

09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
Well the HD thing does matter because marketing, shock horror, does actually matter. It is of course possible that HD was a very old prototype name from the Hoya days - given their HD filters there may have been a planned marketing tie-in. Hoya's filter name is actually short for High Durability not High Definition. It's possible that the 560mm has some kind of scratch resistant properties.

To my mind there isn't much point changing from SMC to HD unless there is some functional difference in the coatings. Aerobright and SP are two other coating names that are used in marketing literature but these are applied in addition to SMC. Of course SMC may have increasingly less relevance in a world where super multi coating (or equivalent) in 90% of lenses is normal.
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #40
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well the HD thing does matter because marketing, shock horror, does actually matter. It is of course possible that HD was a very old prototype name from the Hoya days - given their HD filters there may have been a planned marketing tie-in. Hoya's filter name is actually short for High Durability not High Definition. It's possible that the 560mm has some kind of scratch resistant properties.
Interesting, though, that the OP's quote for the DA645:90 lens says "HD coating of newly developed Aero Bright coating". Of course, that could be a translation issue, and it might mean "an HD coating on an Aero Bright coating", or "an HD coating newly developed from the Aero Bright coating". We shall have to wait for the official announcement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
To my mind there isn't much point changing from SMC to HD unless there is some functional difference in the coatings. Aerobright and SP are two other coating names that are used in marketing literature but these are applied in addition to SMC. Of course SMC may have increasingly less relevance in a world where super multi coating (or equivalent) in 90% of lenses is normal.
I agree. However, "SMC" is recognisably Pentax, so dispensing with it, in favour of a generic term like "HD", is not particularly wise from a marketing perspective.
09-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting, though, that the OP's quote for the DA645:90 lens says "HD coating of newly developed Aero Bright coating". Of course, that could be a translation issue, and it might mean "an HD coating on an Aero Bright coating", or "an HD coating newly developed from the Aero Bright coating". We shall have to wait for the official announcement.



I agree. However, "SMC" is recognisably Pentax, so dispensing with it, in favour of a generic term like "HD", is not particularly wise from a marketing perspective.
I agree
09-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #42
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 616
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You are probably on to some thing. So far Aero Bright Coatings have only been added to the more expensive lenses. At this point it is hard to figure out if the 560mm is a budget lens or what.
If it's selling by the pound sure it would cost a lot of money. Add some optical quality and go figure out the price,
09-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Argument, as defined in the Book of Python, is "a logically-connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition". From the same source "this is mere contention".
Was that Monty?

I had to ask; I know you were all wondering.
09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #44
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Was that Monty?

I had to ask; I know you were all wondering.
Yeah, but you really knew, anyway.
09-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #45
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,863
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Argument, as defined in the Book of Python, is "a logically-connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition". From the same source "this is mere contention".
Ah, but this is abuse.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f2.8, hd, ii, information, k-5, lens, macro, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, smc, telephoto
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement for SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Sudhakar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 03-14-2012 09:48 AM
Will there be a K-R replacement soon? redogman67 Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 09-25-2011 09:39 AM
Replacement lens cap for SMC-A 1:2 50mm roflzzhaveridges Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-01-2011 02:01 AM
Replacement K-5. Mike.P® Pentax K-5 36 04-03-2011 11:18 AM
Replacement for Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm 3,5-6,3 ED AL 18-250 mm ?? Ivo_Spohr Pentax News and Rumors 14 04-26-2010 10:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top