Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD = Highly Defective

09-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You drop a couple notchs in my book Pentax if you start labeling lens with the cheessy HD name.
09-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
You drop a couple notchs in my book Pentax if you start labeling lens with the cheessy HD name.
Does the marketing department have anymore notches to fall?
09-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D has no in-body SR, Pentax makes lens with stabilization....GOOD

09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yippee! Something new for the forum to whine about.
09-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the Press Release for the DA 645 25mm, Aero Bright is described thus:
QuoteQuote:
3. Aero Bright Coating to dramatically improve transmittance

This lens is treated with PENTAX-original Aero Bright Coating, which assures an outstanding anti-reflection performance over a broader wavelength range to deliver images that are more brilliant and in higher quality than those produced by previous models. Born as the fruit of PENTAX’s advanced nanotechnology, this exclusive coating reduces lens reflectance and greatly improves light transmittance by forming a silica aerogel layer with uniform pores on the surface of optical elements.
The key to this possibly lies in the reference to nanotechnology. Nano coatings are referred to in this article: What does a 'nano crystal coat' do on this lens? - Photography, which details the difference between multi-coating and nanocoating, even though the specific lens referred to was a Nikon one.

Don't know about ghostless coating, although from the name that could apply to either multi or nano-coating. On the surface of it (no pun intended) the acronym "HD" is, I agree, an undistinguished term to apply to a lens coating, unless it stands for something that none of us has seriously worked out, yet.
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you guys really arguing about coating acronyms now? I mean, wow... we're talking photography tools here, not some stupid lifestyle trend. The function is what matters.

Well, there's a shortage of other substance in these rumors. Gotta argue something

09-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Well, there's a shortage of other substance in these rumors. Gotta argue something
Argument, as defined in the Book of Python, is "a logically-connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition". From the same source "this is mere contention".
09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well the HD thing does matter because marketing, shock horror, does actually matter. It is of course possible that HD was a very old prototype name from the Hoya days - given their HD filters there may have been a planned marketing tie-in. Hoya's filter name is actually short for High Durability not High Definition. It's possible that the 560mm has some kind of scratch resistant properties.

To my mind there isn't much point changing from SMC to HD unless there is some functional difference in the coatings. Aerobright and SP are two other coating names that are used in marketing literature but these are applied in addition to SMC. Of course SMC may have increasingly less relevance in a world where super multi coating (or equivalent) in 90% of lenses is normal.
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well the HD thing does matter because marketing, shock horror, does actually matter. It is of course possible that HD was a very old prototype name from the Hoya days - given their HD filters there may have been a planned marketing tie-in. Hoya's filter name is actually short for High Durability not High Definition. It's possible that the 560mm has some kind of scratch resistant properties.
Interesting, though, that the OP's quote for the DA645:90 lens says "HD coating of newly developed Aero Bright coating". Of course, that could be a translation issue, and it might mean "an HD coating on an Aero Bright coating", or "an HD coating newly developed from the Aero Bright coating". We shall have to wait for the official announcement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
To my mind there isn't much point changing from SMC to HD unless there is some functional difference in the coatings. Aerobright and SP are two other coating names that are used in marketing literature but these are applied in addition to SMC. Of course SMC may have increasingly less relevance in a world where super multi coating (or equivalent) in 90% of lenses is normal.
I agree. However, "SMC" is recognisably Pentax, so dispensing with it, in favour of a generic term like "HD", is not particularly wise from a marketing perspective.
09-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting, though, that the OP's quote for the DA645:90 lens says "HD coating of newly developed Aero Bright coating". Of course, that could be a translation issue, and it might mean "an HD coating on an Aero Bright coating", or "an HD coating newly developed from the Aero Bright coating". We shall have to wait for the official announcement.

I agree. However, "SMC" is recognisably Pentax, so dispensing with it, in favour of a generic term like "HD", is not particularly wise from a marketing perspective.
I agree
09-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You are probably on to some thing. So far Aero Bright Coatings have only been added to the more expensive lenses. At this point it is hard to figure out if the 560mm is a budget lens or what.
If it's selling by the pound sure it would cost a lot of money. Add some optical quality and go figure out the price,
09-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Argument, as defined in the Book of Python, is "a logically-connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition". From the same source "this is mere contention".
Was that Monty?

I had to ask; I know you were all wondering.
09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Was that Monty?

I had to ask; I know you were all wondering.
Yeah, but you really knew, anyway.
09-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, but this is abuse.