Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

BTW, just noticed what really turned out to be "astronomical" about the lens: the price.

10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Heat issues. Weren't the long A*-lenses and F*-lenses also white, while the FA*-lenses were silver-painted?
I think 95% of it is to be noticed and maaaaaybe 5% heat issues, if that. The Nikon telephotos are black and how many people complain about heat issues with them?
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think 95% of it is to be noticed and maaaaaybe 5% heat issues, if that. The Nikon telephotos are black and how many people complain about heat issues with them?
It all depends on where you shoot. In Hawaii, on one stretch of beach (Pipeline) you can see about 50-100 high end telephotos. Almost everyone puts a towel over their lenses to keep them protected from the sun. The UV index is so high that plastics melt in the sun...definitely not good for the lens. White definitely helps combat the heat absorption. But, it all depends on where you live and shoot. Currently I'm in Maryland, and except for the hottest, sunniest days of July, I don't think white vs black would make any difference.
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

I assure you that heat issues are real. At those focal lengths heat vapors create enough problems. A black lens barrel heats up tremendously. I have had dSLR bodies get too hot to operate in the August Florida sun while out on spring fed rivers that are 20 C (70 F) but the air temp was 100+. I was glad to see Pentax come out with a white weather sealed body with the k-30.

10-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I assure you that heat issues are real. At those focal lengths heat vapors create enough problems. A black lens barrel heats up tremendously. I have had dSLR bodies get too hot to operate in the August Florida sun while out on spring fed rivers that are 20 C (70 F) but the air temp was 100+. I was glad to see Pentax come out with a white weather sealed body with the k-30.
It could also be related to temperature dispersion. I know with telescopes, ideally you leave them sit outside for a good 20 minutes (or more) prior toviewing so that the temperature inside the scope will equalize with the temperature outside the scope. Otherwise you get diffreacton issues. I could see similar problems with a large lens - shoot before the temps equalize and you get less than stellar IQ. With white, you're less likely to have the lens hotter then the ambient temperatures.

Last edited by Sagitta; 10-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.
10-28-2012, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #51
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've used many Nikon (black finish) higher millimeter telephoto lens' over the years insome of the harshest weather conditions on the planet, yet... Never experienced any problems with any Nikon telephoto due to either high temp and/or high humidity. Here's one of the ones I use presently...

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2.0 G ED VR II Telephoto Lens 2188 B&H

This lens has seen Egypt in the middle of summer, and remained in the sun for hours on end. Zero ill effects. It's also seen Death Valley on a number of occasions. The lens easily capable of more durablity than the average human.
10-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I've used many Nikon (black finish) higher millimeter telephoto lens' over the years insome of the harshest weather conditions on the planet, yet... Never experienced any problems with any Nikon telephoto due to either high temp and/or high humidity. Here's one of the ones I use presently...

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2.0 G ED VR II Telephoto Lens 2188 B&H

This lens has seen Egypt in the middle of summer, and remained in the sun for hours on end. Zero ill effects. It's also seen Death Valley on a number of occasions. The lens easily capable of more durablity than the average human.
Exactly my point...I've never heard anyone with Nikon telephotos complain about their black telephotos regarding heat dispersion. Canon would never admit to it but the reason its white is so that it stands out on the sidelines. Its a billboard people recognize in an instant.
10-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Orion can stay outside in the sun and barely gets warm.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
10-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep. As an "also" Floridian, the heat down here makes photography in the summer a tough one. I am happy we are coming into the "cool" season!
10-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My Orion can stay outside in the sun and not even get warm
Like I said, it's all dependent on where you live and the current conditions. I just moved to Maryland in May, and I can tell you, the sunniest summer days in Maryland are mild winter days in Hawaii. Anything you leave out in the sun in Hawaii melts or becomes brittle from UV damage...including cars. I didn't have a garage for my car, and within 5 years my Civic's paint had deteriorated from sun damage and some of the softer plastics inside melted.

If you don't live in a zone where the sun melts anything and everything - great. But I can tell you, and so can the laws of physics, that black paint absorbs heat more than white paint. For some people, it's critical.
10-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Like I said, it's all dependent on where you live and the current conditions. I just moved to Maryland in May, and I can tell you, the sunniest summer days in Maryland are mild winter days in Hawaii. Anything you leave out in the sun in Hawaii melts or becomes brittle from UV damage...including cars. I didn't have a garage for my car, and within 5 years my Civic's paint had deteriorated from sun damage and some of the softer plastics inside melted.

If you don't live in a zone where the sun melts anything and everything - great. But I can tell you, and so can the laws of physics, that black paint absorbs heat more than white paint. For some people, it's critical.
What I find interesting is that if I leave the camera on the scope, it will get alarmingly hot in a short time. whereas the OTA does not. I have no idea what kinda coating is on the tube, but it absorbs very little long-wave IR radiation. IME
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
What I find interesting is that if I leave the camera on the scope, it will get alarmingly hot in a short time. whereas the OTA does not. I have no idea what kinda coating is on the tube, but it absorbs very little long-wave IR radiation. IME
It is because the scope is high gloss (maybe even metallic), and the camera is matte black.
10-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Are there any picture made with this lens released yet?
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I gurantee the big Tak 500/4.5 I have will get hot in sun.
10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #60

Photos: Gallery
Look how small they make the 'Pentax' logo now on the 560