Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Introduces a New HD Lens Coating

Today, Pentax introduces an all-new HD coating, which they claim is better than SMC and other multi-coatings!

Read more about it here

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX-exclusive HD Coating
A new multi-layer lens coating process developed for lenses used with PENTAX lens interchangeable digital cameras

September 11, 2012

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the HD Coating technology, a newly developed, multi-layer lens coating process.
Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, the new multi-layer HD Coating*, exclusively developed by PENTAX, offers much improved light transmittance and a much lower refractive index. Because it minimizes reflections, it delivers sharp, clear images free of flare and ghost images, even under demanding lighting conditions such as backlight. This coating assures optical performance almost equal to Aero Bright Coating, another PENTAX-exclusive lens coating process made possible by advanced nanotechnology and applied to higher-class lenses.
All future interchangeable lenses for digital cameras that equip this new coating will bear the name “HD PENTAX,” instead of the conventional “smc PENTAX.”

Major Features
  1. 50% reduction of reflections in visible spectrum

The coating reduces reflections by more than 50% over the entire visible spectrum, compared to conventional multi-layer coating,

1. High-rigidity coating layer

Since the HD Coating has a stronger bond among its coating materials and a higher packing density, its coating layer assures exceptional high rigidity for extra durability.

1. Faithful reflection of design concept to actual coating layer

In conventional multi-layer processes, the coating layer is produced by the vacuum evaporation method, in which coating materials are dissolved and deposited in a vacuum. This method, however, sometimes cause the unstable situation to achieve a coating layer with density sufficient enough to prevent disparity in the thickness and refractive index of the coating layer.
The HD Coating effectively solves this problem by employing a PENTAX-exclusive manufacturing process, while optimizing the density of its coating layer and controlling the thickness with the accuracy of a nanometer (one millionth of a millimeter). As the result, original design data on the lens coating is accurately applied to the actual coating layer to optimize anti-reflection performance of a lens.

* HD stands for High Definition, and signifies the lens’s capacity to reproduce images that excel in transparency, definition, resolution and rendition.

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

So HD is "nearly as good as" Aero Bright. I wonder what the future for Ghostless Coating is going to be as well as coatings for current production lenses such as the FA ltd and DA ltd and DA* lenses.
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have Hoya HD filters. I think that Ricoh/Pentax would not be able to use HD to describe photographic lenses/coatings without Hoya permission, either as part of the sale or more recently negotiated.

Anyone else with an observation?
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Old SMC and new HD coating

Sigma has mention of "Super Multi Layer Coating" now on their lenses. Example here: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/85mm-f14-ex-dg-hsm-sigma I don't recall them using this particular wording before. I'm wondering If previous owner Hoya had an information sale or swap with SIgma at some point. Now that they are using HD perhaps they sold their old technology off?

I recall something from either Sigma or Hoya in a older announcement that got my attention on this subject in past but don't have that reference.

09-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I have Hoya HD filters. I think that Ricoh/Pentax would not be able to use HD to describe photographic lenses/coatings without Hoya permission, either as part of the sale or more recently negotiated.

Anyone else with an observation?
I brought their name usage up in another thread. I actually don't think it is a problem, as if you check Hoya's page or filters, there is no trademark or copyright symbol. And that makes sense, since the HD acronym is in such common usage, I doubt that even if Hoya had applied for a trademark, it would have been granted.
09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I don't think HD is a good choice and "sinking" SMC is a bad idea. It would be like Mac dropping the Apple symbol.
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't think HD is a good choice and "sinking" SMC is a bad idea. It would be like Mac dropping the Apple symbol.
But, there is a 33.3% reduction in the cost of engraving process from SMC to HD, which I am sure will not be passed on to the consumers. Damn.

09-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Certainly there is value in the claimed additional durability of the HD coating, but I have a couple nagging questions: 1) Does the graph specifically compare HD with SMC? In their press release, they refer to "conventional 'smc Pentax'," but the graph is simply labeled "Conventional Multi Coating." 2) What is the real world impact of reflectance reductions that are fractions of 1%? E.g., what is good enough? All the benefits of HD's uniformity may not be captured in a measure of reflectance, but that is Pentax's chosen measure, so I assume it is the most important.
--- Don
09-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
True. SMC had been their trademark for the lens; one of their "legacy" symbols, other than the "legacy" mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by donras Quote
In their press release, they refer to "conventional 'smc Pentax'," but the graph is simply labeled "Conventional Multi Coating." 2) What is the real world impact of reflectance reductions that are fractions of 1%? E.g., what is good enough? All the benefits of HD's uniformity may not be captured in a measure of reflectance, but that is Pentax's chosen measure, so I assume it is the most important.
We will know once "torture tests" have been made and results revealed. I'm not knowledgeable in optics, but I also think the "HD" name is so cheesy...
09-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by donras Quote
Certainly there is value in the claimed additional durability of the HD coating, but I have a couple nagging questions: 1) Does the graph specifically compare HD with SMC? In their press release, they refer to "conventional 'smc Pentax'," but the graph is simply labeled "Conventional Multi Coating." 2) What is the real world impact of reflectance reductions that are fractions of 1%? E.g., what is good enough? All the benefits of HD's uniformity may not be captured in a measure of reflectance, but that is Pentax's chosen measure, so I assume it is the most important.
--- Don
I too am unsure why they are not directly saying that HD is better than SMC...
09-11-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There are less over-used terms they could use:

UA - ultra acuity
SHA - super high acuity
ST - super transmittant
SHA - and so on

etc etc
09-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

To me HD sounds better than an unknown acronym. I guess the same goes for people not familiar with Pentax.
09-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
To me HD sounds better than an unknown acronym. I guess the same goes for people not familiar with Pentax.
Yes it's better known but it's been very over-used in marketing all kinds of products. Which irritates me because High Definition has a properly defined meaning which doesn't apply to most of these products - including this lens.

Personally I'd rather see a term specifically related to optics than to digital displays.
09-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So is the red ring on the new 90mm F/2.8 lens the sign of a new line of lenses or does that signify the HD coating? Is the red band going to be seen on lenses for APS-C and FF or will it be limited to the 645D line of lenses?
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
So is the red ring on the new 90mm F/2.8 lens the sign of a new line of lenses or does that signify the HD coating? Is the red band going to be seen on lenses for APS-C and FF or will it be limited to the 645D line of lenses?
The red ring signifies any lens with HD coating. The current lenses are the 645D 90mm Macro and the DA 560mm.