Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The D5000 is a 3.5 year old body with the specs similar to my aging, entry-level K-x.. are you sure you don't mean the D5100? And if so, that is a big more expensive..
When I bought the K-x in 2009, I chose it over the D5000. At that time the D5000 was the same price as the K-30 is now. If Pentax had had an equivalent to the K-30 in 2009 (say a K300D) I would have bought it over the K-x in a heartbeat.

09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
Inactive Account

I'm picking a huge FOUR cameras under glass- K300,K3,FF and 645D replacement- K300 maybe by Christmas, all the rest next year with FF next Photokina.
......Now watch me get it completely wrong!
09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Still no 1080/30 on this K-5II. Seriously?!?
And still those crappy .AVI's (I hope they at least fix the clicking noise).

BUT...there is hope that the specs that have thus far been announced are erroneous. For example, on the Pentax web site, it says the K-5 mark II will support SDXC cards via firmware update, while we all know that this isn't can't be true, as the base firmware of all the new cameras since the K-5 has supported SDXC cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And still those crappy .AVI's (I hope they at least fix the clicking noise).

BUT...there is hope that the specs that have thus far been announced are erroneous. For example, on the Pentax web site, it says the K-5 mark II will support SDXC cards via firmware update, while we all know that this isn't can't be true, as the base firmware of all the new cameras since the K-5 has supported SDXC cards.
In other words, how much of the released specs were just copy/pasted by the Pentax America contractor?

09-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow!....guess I will just hang onto my K-5, Auto focus works just fine IMHO, I am already careful with my camera so the different style LCD screen dont mean a hill of beans to me.
If one day I do decide to go with FF, I hope Pentax has something out for me to purchase or otherwise I will become a two system shooter, but me going FF one day is really a long shot.
I am really happy with my current set up and I think it will last a long time to come, this new K-5II or K-5IIs really isn't worth the jump for me, my current K-5 is still way more than enough camera to me. Now......it's time for me to go out and shoot some photos and stop wasting my time in here chasing the "new camera" pipe dream.
09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In other words, how much of the released specs were just copy/pasted by the Pentax America contractor?
Actually, Pentax provided the text. They did a copy/paste from the K-5 specs from ~ 2 years ago. They only had to change 7 words. They still got it wrong.
09-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
mee
Veteran Member

When I bought the K-x in 2009, I chose it over the D5000. At that time the D5000 was the same price as the K-30 is now. If Pentax had had an equivalent to the K-30 in 2009 (say a K300D) I would have bought it over the K-x in a heartbeat.
Oh I see. But you are jumping tiers then..

09-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I see. But you are jumping tiers then..
Not really. The D5000 is the upper-end of entry level, the D3000 was the lower end. Pentax only had one entry-level, unless you count the K2000 (K-m) which was discontinued at the time just like the K-r is now. The K-x was in between the D3000 and D5000. If Pentax had put the 12MP sensor in the K200D body it would have cannibalized sales of the K-7.
09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, really. D5000 was considered mid-range. K-x was considered entry level.

D5000 came out early 2009. K-x came out late 2009. So you WOULD see some of the last gen's mid-tier specs in the next's low-end/entry level category.
09-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You mean these "official" releases are still "not-so-official"? the official Pentax sites are updated now; and yeah, only the back LCD and AF were overhauled. No change with sensor or accompanying internals.'

The K-x was in between the D3000 and D5000. If Pentax had put the 12MP sensor in the K200D body it would have cannibalized sales of the K-7.
Which is probably what will happen now between the K-30 and the K-5 II.. While they have the same sensor, the K-30 actually offers more features than the K-5 II (and even the IIs)
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
The K5II/IIs surprised me, I really didn't expect that. This would suggest to me that the K3, assuming it is real, will be a very high end professional type body. There has to be some significant separation between the K5II and K3 in both features and pricing, otherwise the K5II will cannibalize K3 sales. The problem there is now you're getting into FF pricing territory and I still don't think the K3 will be a FF body.

What are the odds on a K300 entry level body now? Quite a bit Lower, I would think.
Don't do it to yourself.
People get in such a frenzy over the K-3 and K300.
What was the source of the K-3 again?
An April's Fool joke on the front page?
Let it go.
09-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
ogl
Banned

Is there focus-peaking in K-5II?
09-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #43
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
You mean these "official" releases are still "not-so-official"? the official Pentax sites are updated now; and yeah, only the back LCD and AF were overhauled. No change with sensor or accompanying internals.'

Which is probably what will happen now between the K-30 and the K-5 II.. While they have the same sensor, the K-30 actually offers more features than the K-5 II (and even the IIs)

And yet costs less.. a lot less..
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And yet costs less.. a lot less..
True, that. I guess I overestimated Ricoh's power and their 4-DSLR lineup promise. That "bridging the gap" thing. All 9 announcements have been made... before Photokina. So what else does Pentax have up their sleeves during the event?

I thought before, what if no K-3 comes up but a K-300 will? Or if no K-300 but a K-3 on top? Turned out I was wrong on both accounts... NO K-300 and NO K-3!

So the lineup is... K-30 >>> K-5 II >>> K-5 IIs >>> 645D (no replacements). Still keeping positive... hopefully all the good announcements will come at CP+.
But then again, I'm not hoping for great things now.
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #45

Unless there's significantly more to the new camera I can't figure out who their intended customer is. As someone said before, it could be a lot different than the present promo inforation we have. However, it doesn't sound like there's enough of an upgrade here to make anyone with a K-5 really want to upgrade. However, perhaps there is some killer upgrade, but on the Pentax site which I checked out as well, it sure doesn't look like it.