Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #76
Veteran Member

My initial thought was - it'd be a good camera for $2500, and Nikon, lately, is charging $500 less than they could. So that left me at $2k.

As I've said before I've vacillated since then.

09-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Full compatibility in terms of exposure and manual aperture of the D-FA serie with 645NII, thanks to SLR's internal control buttons.
But i don't see stabilization working, same as AF.
I did not know that about the NII ! Good to hear, and it makes the 645N II suddenly more attractive, I never understood the higher price these fetch (apart from being less old for obvious reasons).
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I've been lurking here since late July or so. I'm new to photography, I just bought my first dslr in January of this year. I currently shoot a D3100 mostly because that's what was available in my area in my price range. I like it but there are a number of features it lacks that I know now, after 9 months of daily use, are really important to me. So I'm reading and researching for a replacement.

The K5-II is at the top of my list. I won't bore you with an exhaustive list of the features I am looking for. Weather sealing is probably the most important for me and in Nikon it is only available in the D300s and up (as far as I can tell) which is out of my price range. But, this feature alone will sell me a camera assuming everything else is at par or better than what I'm coming from. For the price of a D300s I can buy a K5-II and have 4 or 5 hundred dollars left for the lens of my choice.

So, I'm thinking that the K5-II might not be all that exciting to you folks who already own Pentax cameras but it's a hell of a camera in comparison to it's competition at it's price and may just bring in some new blood. I know everyone loves the "latest and greatest" but consider how much money you'll save over the years if Pentax pursues a slower more measured rate of change in their lineup. It's pretty annoying to buy a camera and have it replaced in the lineup in a year.

Anyway, what do I know? And, Hi there :-)
09-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I've been lurking here since late July or so. I'm new to photography, I just bought my first dslr in January of this year. I currently shoot a D3100 mostly because that's what was available in my area in my price range. I like it but there are a number of features it lacks that I know now, after 9 months of daily use, are really important to me. So I'm reading and researching for a replacement.

The K5-II is at the top of my list. I won't bore you with an exhaustive list of the features I am looking for. Weather sealing is probably the most important for me and in Nikon it is only available in the D300s and up (as far as I can tell) which is out of my price range. But, this feature alone will sell me a camera assuming everything else is at par or better than what I'm coming from. For the price of a D300s I can buy a K5-II and have 4 or 5 hundred dollars left for the lens of my choice.

So, I'm thinking that the K5-II might not be all that exciting to you folks who already own Pentax cameras but it's a hell of a camera in comparison to it's competition at it's price and may just bring in some new blood. I know everyone loves the "latest and greatest" but consider how much money you'll save over the years if Pentax pursues a slower more measured rate of change in their lineup. It's pretty annoying to buy a camera and have it replaced in the lineup in a year.

Anyway, what do I know? And, Hi there :-)
Nice first post, and welcome to the site!

09-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
This Photokina really looks like the year of the FF release-eg Sony/Canon/Nokia all with big FF models,
??
I assume that was that mean't to be Nikon?
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #81
mee
Pentaxian

If the K3 is released at Photokina, what does this mean for the price and marketability of the K5 II? Surely more K5 owners will adopt the K3 over the K5 II or no?
09-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If the K3 is released at Photokina, what does this mean for the price and marketability of the K5 II? Surely more K5 owners will adopt the K3 over the K5 II or no?
I think a K-3 will be more expensive than the K-5II but also more feature-packed... They dont want the K-5II to be so advanced as to prevent people form buying the K-3, they don't want the K-3 to be so cheap that people will but that in stead of the K-5II. Will that make the K-3 too expensive? For some yes, for others no. Same with features on K-5II, enough for all ? No. Enough for some? Yes. They should be able to co-exist.
09-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I think a K-3 will be more expensive than the K-5II but also more feature-packed... They dont want the K-5II to be so advanced as to prevent people form buying the K-3, they don't want the K-3 to be so cheap that people will but that in stead of the K-5II. Will that make the K-3 too expensive? For some yes, for others no. Same with features on K-5II, enough for all ? No. Enough for some? Yes. They should be able to co-exist.

Perhaps this is true?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/196133-my-li...rediction.html

since TS is not considered a 'nobody'

09-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nikonrumors is talking about ~$2700, which I find believable.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
$2700 is way too close to the D800 price of $3k. If it was a canon I'd agree with you... but Nikon, lately, has a habit of charging less than they could, apparently to gain market share.
Well, the (USA) MSRP of the D600 is $2100 (body only) and $2700 (kit w/ 24-85mm), so you're both right!

Also, note that it is "available September 18th... 2012" (not just pre-order)!
That's the way to introduce something... not "K-5 II in mid-October."

Myself, I'm not all that interested in it since my work (HDR) requires 5-shot AEB at +-2ev and FF doesn't give me anything other than bigger lenses to haul around.

Last edited by panoguy; 09-13-2012 at 07:28 AM.
09-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #85
Pentaxian

So the d600 is $900 more expensive than the k52 and the d800 is $900 more expensive again.

Seems about right.
09-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #86
Pentaxian

The K-5 II AF is getting some press over here: "New Pentax sees in the dark"
Ny Pentax ser i mørket | DIGITAL FOTO
09-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Thanks for showing that the K5ii looks exciting to people who aren't jaded by Pentax failing to produce a camera that matches their perfect wish list!
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! I'll probably be buying a K5ii as well.
09-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I know this has been posted in another thread, but for those who haven't seen it yet, can we verify if it's a real K-5 II or just the K-5 Classic?

09-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #89
Pentaxian

fixed link
http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/C_SkTC6KLeI&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&fs=1;feature=player_embedded
09-14-2012, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks for showing that the K5ii looks exciting to people who aren't jaded by Pentax failing to produce a camera that matches their perfect wish list!
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! I'll probably be buying a K5ii as well.
Yeah, I thought an outsiders perspective might be interesting for people who're stuck in the belly of the beast :-P

Even with the introduction of the D600, I'm still more interested in the K5-II. The D600 doesn't offer most of the features that I really want and FF is only a theoretical advantage for me with a concomitant requirement for *really* expensive lenses.