Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #91
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
I'm actually surprised Nikon dropped their max sync speed down to 1/200 for the D600...strobists like higher sync speeds and PC sync ports which they also dropped.

But their $2100 price is definitely going to draw FF users into the Nikon camp. The Canon low-end DSLR is a measly 20MP and will be more expensive. Sony is on drugs w/ their A99 and RX1 at $2800.
And the D600 (aka FF in D7000 body) is fairly competitive w/ the K-5II...faster AF even if it's not the D800's super AF, dual SD cards, enough weathersealing, etc.
Very odd that Nikon seems to be the company pushing the bleeding edge more lately, but competition is good :-)

09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #92
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,117
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm actually surprised Nikon dropped their max sync speed down to 1/200 for the D600...strobists like higher sync speeds and PC sync ports which they also dropped.

But their $2100 price is definitely going to draw FF users into the Nikon camp. The Canon low-end DSLR is a measly 20MP and will be more expensive. Sony is on drugs w/ their A99 and RX1 at $2800.
And the D600 (aka FF in D7000 body) is fairly competitive w/ the K-5II...faster AF even if it's not the D800's super AF, dual SD cards, enough weathersealing, etc.
Very odd that Nikon seems to be the company pushing the bleeding edge more lately, but competition is good :-)
Despite the furore I'm somewhat mystified by the D600. Where I live, it is within 15 per cent of the price of the D800. Someone who is willing to spring the thick end of three large on a camera (taking into account lenses and accessories) is unlikely to hesitate over spending an extra few hundred bucks to get what is very clearly the better camera, maybe even a thousand more for a better lens or two as well. To do otherwise is a real false economy if your budget is sufficient. There seems a rather grey area here where the extra money for FF doesn't get you a solid professional camera of the D800 class, it just gets you a slightly better, and only in some ways, consumer camera. Hmmn. Don't get sucked into the hype, perhaps. If you really really want full frame, spring for the real deal.
09-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #93
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Photos: Albums
Posts: 570
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Despite the furore I'm somewhat mystified by the D600. Where I live, it is within 15 per cent of the price of the D800. Someone who is willing to spring the thick end of three large on a camera (taking into account lenses and accessories) is unlikely to hesitate over spending an extra few hundred bucks to get what is very clearly the better camera, maybe even a thousand more for a better lens or two as well. To do otherwise is a real false economy if your budget is sufficient. There seems a rather grey area here where the extra money for FF doesn't get you a solid professional camera of the D800 class, it just gets you a slightly better, and only in some ways, consumer camera. Hmmn. Don't get sucked into the hype, perhaps. If you really really want full frame, spring for the real deal.
While I mostly agree, and admit that I'm not tempted by the D600, I think that where the D600 could get a decent number of sales from will be with FF shooters who need a less expensive backup camera. Of course, I expect it will sell well to those who just want the FF novelty and bragging rights. I hope those buyers have the FX lenses to go with it. The D600 and D800 might be subject to different downward price movement as well. From everything I've seen so far, a used D700 is more attractive to me than a new D600.
09-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #94
Site Supporter
hangman43's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hueytown, Alabama
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,427
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
While I mostly agree, and admit that I'm not tempted by the D600, I think that where the D600 could get a decent number of sales from will be with FF shooters who need a less expensive backup camera. Of course, I expect it will sell well to those who just want the FF novelty and bragging rights. I hope those buyers have the FX lenses to go with it. The D600 and D800 might be subject to different downward price movement as well. From everything I've seen so far, a used D700 is more attractive to me than a new D600.

There are already some of the people on another forum I am on that had a D7000 as a back up for the D800 talking about replacing it with the D600.

09-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #95
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Photos: Albums
Posts: 570
QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
There are already some of the people on another forum I am on that had a D7000 as a back up for the D800 talking about replacing it with the D600.
The D800, D600, and D7000 all use the same battery. That is a nice little feature to have running across three bodies for those who want to run with either backups or both FX and DX formats. What it seems like Nikon needs now though is a replacement to the D300s, also with the same battery, for the sports and wildlife pros/enthusiasts.
09-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #96
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 30
What made me buy a Pentax in the first place, was the relative compactness of the system and the right features (for me) included.
My friend owns a Nikon D700, still a marvelous camera, but when you place it next to the K-5 - or take it with you on a trip, it is amazing how much bulkier and heavier it is.
So, when Pentax introduces a FX camera, I hope it will be with just those features the brand knows so well - compact robustness and and a sound palette of features. I already got plenty of lenses for it, perhaps a new lens wider than my 31mm/1.8 and then we're ready to go!
09-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #97
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Sony is on drugs w/ their A99 and RX1 at $2800
With the RX1 I agree. It's almost like the second most recent Sigma body (before the Merrill), when a non full frame camera went for about $7500
09-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #98
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13
History Repeats?
"Asahi Optical's countermove came at the end of 1971 with the Spotmatic II. Expectations of an innovative model were dashed by this camera. The SP II differed from the previous model only in minor details. The pentaprism was changed in appearance and, for the first time on an Asahi Pentax, included a shoe for the flash. The sensitivity scale was extended and there were a few cosmetic changes. A series of very interesting lenses were brought out at the same time as the SP II. The elements of these lenses were treated with an exclusive multi-layer, anti-reflective coating. They were designed for metering at any exposure aperture and the name was changed from Super Takumar to Super Multi Coated Takumar."
From the book "Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm Cameras 1951-1989" by Danilo Cecchi.
Fortunately, back then, the best was still to come from Pentax. Let's hope that history does indeed repeat itself.

09-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #99
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
The D800, D600, and D7000 all use the same battery. That is a nice little feature to have running across three bodies for those who want to run with either backups or both FX and DX formats. What it seems like Nikon needs now though is a replacement to the D300s, also with the same battery, for the sports and wildlife pros/enthusiasts.
Yeah, that is definitely a nice feature. It's always annoying when you have to bring different batteries for each camera, if you're shooting two different bodies.
09-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #100
gri
New Member
gri's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
I'm going to purchase a new DSLR camera and I have a dilema - K30 or to wait for K-5II, Some important thing for me is the AF system!

- What is the difference in AF between K-30 and K-5II
- Is there in K-5II focus peeking!
09-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #101
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,226
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gri Quote
- What is the difference in AF between K-30 and K-5II - Is there in K-5II focus peeking!
The K-5 II's PDAF is going to be more accurate, but for most users it'll seem the same.

The K-5 II has the old live view AF, and no focus peaking, so for that and for video, the K-30 is better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #102
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
It's very confusing to me that Pentax didn't include focus peaking. I've been holding back on that discussion because I figured it was a misprint or omission or something - why wouldn't Pentax include it? Focus peaking is great.

It'd be way easier for me to justify a K-II or K-IIs if it had both better AF and focus peaking. As is I think I might sit this round out.
09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #103
Junior Member
photoephemere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near from Paris
Photos: Albums
Posts: 38
I'll wait for first tests on those new k5 II & IIs bodys to comment ;-) ... remember when k5 appears ... some functionality like x cards, gps ... where missing then a firmware update was done ... in some site we can read "Last technologie sensor" for the k5 II ... Who knows today if the sensor perf are not better than k5 ? ... all we know for sure is that there's a better af ... wait october and see ... perhaps it will not be the only advance ... not ? and perhaps a firmware update will add feathures not included in the previous models ...
09-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #104
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's very confusing to me that Pentax didn't include focus peaking. I've been holding back on that discussion because I figured it was a misprint or omission or something - why wouldn't Pentax include it? Focus peaking is great.

It'd be way easier for me to justify a K-II or K-IIs if it had both better AF and focus peaking. As is I think I might sit this round out.
Apparently the module that includes Focus Peaking is tuned for 12-bit and not 14-bit which makes it tough to integrate into the K-5.
09-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #105
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by drakkar Quote
What made me buy a Pentax in the first place, was the relative compactness of the system and the right features (for me) included.
My friend owns a Nikon D700, still a marvelous camera, but when you place it next to the K-5 - or take it with you on a trip, it is amazing how much bulkier and heavier it is.
So, when Pentax introduces a FX camera, I hope it will be with just those features the brand knows so well - compact robustness and and a sound palette of features. I already got plenty of lenses for it, perhaps a new lens wider than my 31mm/1.8 and then we're ready to go!
I agree completely. While I love the image quality on the Pentax system, at the end of the day, it's the small size, tough build and weathersealing that keep me here above anything else. I hope if/when they get into FF, that they will stay true to this heritage, and release an FF body that makes the rest of them feel like clunkers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bird, camera, image, length, lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, tc, tripod, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks Like Rumors Of A New Flash Are True iCrop Pentax News and Rumors 46 01-09-2013 07:12 AM
Pentax 560mm, 18-270mm, and DFA 645 90mm Macro Officially Announced Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 09-11-2012 05:58 AM
Pentax q10 Jaymie0613 Pentax News and Rumors 12 09-10-2012 01:37 PM
Pentax Q10 yygomez Pentax News and Rumors 5 09-07-2012 06:58 AM
18-200mm or 18-270mm? Damian.T Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-09-2011 03:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top