Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #121
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,800
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
the vignette is 1.3 stops
At that focal length vignetting of that order is not uncommon. It's not a reliable guide to the FF suitability of this lens.

This has been discussed in the past - somewhere on the forum there is a discussion that includes vignette images from equivalent FF Canon or Nikon telephotos that reveal heavy vignetting levels, some even more severe than the DA560, IIRC.

EDIT:
Found the old 2013 thread mentioned above, and the related image:
Theory why FF taking so long




Last edited by rawr; 11-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.
11-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #122
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
At that focal length vignetting of that order is not uncommon. It's not a reliable guide to the FF suitability of this lens.
Right. Whoever states that the DA 560 "is not FF" either has no knowledge or a personal agenda to make the lens look bad.

For one both the Canon 500/4 (vignettes up to 1,5 EV) and the Tamron 150-600 (vignettes up to 1,4 EV) would not be "FF suitable": Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens Vignetting
Same applies to the Canon 600/4.
What a laugh.

Then every child would understand that a criterion has to be met at all scenarios, not only at a handchosen one you personally like or want. So if a certain degree of vignetting makes a lens a non-FF one then please look at the Sigma 35 Art: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Vignetting
Does a whopping 3,5 EV vignetting. Surely a mFT lens and no FF?

And no, it does not make sense to say "that is normal for...". Because if you follow this path then you can pretty much create any negative remark about anything and protect your personal favorites deliberately.
How about "a camera is not FF if it doesnt offer better dynamic range than all APSC cameras"? (which normally it should) Surely Canon does not offer ANY FF camera.
11-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #123
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,800
QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
the Sigma 35 Art:
Yes indeed, that lens does have scary levels of vignetting, esp. on full-frame (from Lenstip):


Hard to believe, but the Canon 1.4/35L vignettes even more than the Sigma, according to Lenstip.
11-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,091
I'm not well up in my knowledge of optics, but wouldn't the 560 mm used with the teleconverter easily cover full frame, and bring almost the reach of that lens used on an APS-C body?

11-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #125
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,954
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm not well up in my knowledge of optics, but wouldn't the 560 mm used with the teleconverter easily cover full frame, and bring almost the reach of that lens used on an APS-C body?
It would (a teleconverter increases the image circle) but to the detriment of autofocus: 560mm f/5.6 x1.4 ≈ 800mm f/8.
11-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #126
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm retrieving this thread from the forum's abyss to indicate the following: in Ricoh's so-called 'VIP lounge' at the French Salon de la Photo, I learned from the main retailer of Pentax gear in France that the DA 560's MSRP (€6,799 at launch, currently €5,499) would soon be lowered to €3,999.

This should be announced during the international wildlife photo festival of Montier-en-Der (20th to 23rd November). And €3,999 is already the price of DA 560 in the Pentax Store that just opened in Paris.

The reason for this price drop is simple: non-existent sales at current price.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the €/$ exchange rate and/or the European rules: €3,999 includes 20 per cent. VAT and therefore corresponds to approx. US$4,175 (excluding sales tax).
Well the price was to high. A no-go for the lens offerd.One other issue is that there are no images made with the lens available for download. I mean real images, made in Africa on safari or so. Als no images to see at Photokina from this lens. (but I missed many options on images that should sell equipement (like no sportsimages), but Ricoh Imaging doesn't understand that yet).
11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #127
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,954
There are very few images made with the DA 560mm available for download because there are very few copies of the lens in circulation. Chicken and egg...
11-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #128
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
One other issue is that there are no images made with the lens available for download. I mean real images, made in Africa on safari or so.
You should do a Google search...
Just for fun 560 with 2 HD TC's stacked: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
check out the flickr Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121475335@N07/sets
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014101046_1200pxk33773.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014101050_1200pxk33790.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014101043_1200pxk33761.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014101058_1200pxk33972.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100517_1200pxk32503.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100520_1200pxk32561.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100523_1200pxk32613.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014070510_1200pxk30785.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100527_1200pxk32615.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100530_1200pxk32643.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100533_1200pxk32720.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100537_1200pxk32739.jpg
http://pentaxians.eu/forumimages/2014/2/2_2014100540_1200pxk32808.jpg
PvC001: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/g/TS1600x1600~3043581.jpg
Pentax DA 560mm, Objektiv, Afrika, Tiere, Abenteuer, Supertele, 560mm, Pentax - Lambo-Ansichten-Lambo-Expeditionen
Actually it seems the DA 560 plus the new TC are a match made in heaven, offering fine image Quality and nicely working AF.


11-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #129
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
You should do a Google search...
Pentax DA 560mm, Objektiv, Afrika, Tiere, Abenteuer, Supertele, 560mm, Pentax - Lambo-Ansichten-Lambo-Expeditionen
Actually it seems the DA 560 plus the new TC are a match made in heaven, offering fine image Quality and nicely working AF.
So this last one is a German photographer and still no images in Germany on Photokina. How do you think people will find those images. Never had any doubt about the performance.
11-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #130
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 71
That they have to replace the resource sitting idly on the job for a marketing expert is a well known fact.


Basically you can say that the lady/guy who palys that role singlehandedly has been the Driver behind the Need to cut the MSRP.
In a way you could say if you suck at marketing you are good for the birders.
11-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #131
Veteran Member
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm retrieving this thread from the forum's abyss to indicate the following: in Ricoh's so-called 'VIP lounge' at the French Salon de la Photo, I learned from the main retailer of Pentax gear in France that the DA 560's MSRP (€6,799 at launch, currently €5,499) would soon be lowered to €3,999.

This should be announced during the international wildlife photo festival of Montier-en-Der (20th to 23rd November). And €3,999 is already the price of DA 560 in the Pentax Store that just opened in Paris.

The reason for this price drop is simple: non-existent sales at current price.
This is more or less what the price should have been right from the beginning.
I am not going to abandon my Sigma 500, but hope to see more pictures shot with the DA 560.
11-17-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,747
QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
Right. Whoever states that the DA 560 "is not FF" either has no knowledge or a personal agenda to make the lens look bad.
That would be the Pentax Forum staff: DA 560mm F5.6 - is it a Full-frame lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com I'm sure Adam will be surprised to know he has a 'personal agenda'
11-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #133
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm retrieving this thread from the forum's abyss to indicate the following: in Ricoh's so-called 'VIP lounge' at the French Salon de la Photo, I learned from the main retailer of Pentax gear in France that the DA 560's MSRP (€6,799 at launch, currently €5,499) would soon be lowered to €3,999.

This should be announced during the international wildlife photo festival of Montier-en-Der (20th to 23rd November). And €3,999 is already the price of DA 560 in the Pentax Store that just opened in Paris.

The reason for this price drop is simple: non-existent sales at current price.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the €/$ exchange rate and/or the European rules: €3,999 includes 20 per cent. VAT and therefore corresponds to approx. US$4,175 (excluding sales tax).
So does anybody know whether this was really announced? I just recently bought the DA560mm and can only say that it is fully worth its list price. It betters my Sigma 500/4.5 at resolving power, contrast and auto focus. Especially with the K3 this is a set-up that is truly high class. Almost a shame that Ricoh can not seem to sell them, but at the same time: if they dσ lower the retail price of the DA560mm to 3999,-, it literally becomes a bargain, and they need to do sσmething to get their name across as an attractive brand for serious wildlife and birding photography. Once they've got enough copies around in the hands of capable shooters, and establish their name amongst wildlife/birding photographers, they can raise the price to what it is really worth.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 11-23-2014 at 04:49 AM.
11-23-2014, 04:53 AM   #134
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the price was to high. A no-go for the lens offerd.One other issue is that there are no images made with the lens available for download. I mean real images, made in Africa on safari or so. Als no images to see at Photokina from this lens. (but I missed many options on images that should sell equipement (like no sportsimages), but Ricoh Imaging doesn't understand that yet).
Well I proposed myself to make such images forPentax France - I'm using a FA*600f4 usually. Guess what ? They didn't answer me. The most fun : for the Pentax lens brochure, to illustrate this 560, they have but an image of an european bee catcher.
see http://s2.media.ricoh-imaging.fr/media/1d4e72b257e16baa270f111123baf28b/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
See p 24 image fram Thibaud Epeche
After a sort research, I discovered that this was shot with the DA*300. So even in their official brochure they are not capable of finding good images shot with this lens. Poor marketing...

Last edited by goubejp; 11-23-2014 at 04:58 AM.
11-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #135
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Well I proposed myself to make such images forPentax France - I'm using a FA*600f4 usually. Guess what ? They didn't answer me. The most fun : for the Pentax lens brochure, to illustrate this 560, they have but an image of an european bee catcher.
see http://s2.media.ricoh-imaging.fr/media/1d4e72b257e16baa270f111123baf28b/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
See p 24 image fram Thibaud Epeche
After a sort research, I discovered that this was shot with the DA*300. So even in their official brochure they are not capable of finding good images shot with this lens. Poor marketing...
Yup, that's me.
The 560 wasn't ready at the time they did the brochure.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bird, camera, image, length, lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, tc, tripod, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks Like Rumors Of A New Flash Are True iCrop Pentax News and Rumors 46 01-09-2013 07:12 AM
Pentax 560mm, 18-270mm, and DFA 645 90mm Macro Officially Announced Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 09-11-2012 05:58 AM
Pentax q10 Jaymie0613 Pentax News and Rumors 12 09-10-2012 01:37 PM
Pentax Q10 yygomez Pentax News and Rumors 5 09-07-2012 06:58 AM
18-200mm or 18-270mm? Damian.T Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-09-2011 03:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top