Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
Unless there's significantly more to the new camera I can't figure out who their intended customer is. As someone said before, it could be a lot different than the present promo inforation we have. However, it doesn't sound like there's enough of an upgrade here to make anyone with a K-5 really want to upgrade. However, perhaps there is some killer upgrade, but on the Pentax site which I checked out as well, it sure doesn't look like it.
The K-5 is still good enough a camera to be selling two years into its life-cycle. While they may not be selling you a II or IIs, they will sell them to people who would otherwise have bought a K-5, and possibly to people who want a second body. It's also a more compelling upgrade for K-7 owners.

What Pentax has possibly done with this iteration is reintroduce the notion of sustainability of a model line, as existed in the past with the Spotmatic, the Spotmatic II, the Spotmatic F, the Electro-Spotmatics (ES & ESII). The body on the K-5 may be getting older, but it's good enough to last for a while yet, with people who take their equipment seriously - you might even say it is, in a way, timeless in its styling, and it's certainly durable in its construction.

09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

FWIW, I can't really imagine a substantial improvement in the 'body' of the K-5 (which is a large part of the reason I have a K-5 instead of a d7000).
09-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
The K5II/IIs surprised me, I really didn't expect that. This would suggest to me that the K3, assuming it is real, will be a very high end professional type body. There has to be some significant separation between the K5II and K3 in both features and pricing, otherwise the K5II will cannibalize K3 sales. The problem there is now you're getting into FF pricing territory and I still don't think the K3 will be a FF body.

What are the odds on a K300 entry level body now? Quite a bit Lower, I would think.
Both Nikon and Canon retain professional-level APS-C DSLRs in their line-ups. Canon's 18MP 7D sells for $1,600US and Nikon's 12.3MP D300s for $1,700US. That really demarks the territory for Pentax to aim a high-spec APS-C camera like the supposed K3. Not all professionals use 35mm sensor cameras, or at least use them exclusively, because the smaller sensors offer better solutions in some areas.
09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #49

Come on, Pentax! Seems again lack of video features. I hoped all the time they will release a software upgrade for the old k5 which would enable manual shutter speed, iso, mic sensibility (and 60fps?) etc (I believe it's technically possible). Pentax doesn't need to compete Canon in video but they simply had to improve video possibilities, at least for the new K-5.

09-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by random pentax user Quote
I hoped all the time they will release a software upgrade for the old k5 which would enable manual shutter speed, iso, mic sensibility (and 60fps?)
It is impossible with Prime II. It is 3+ years old processor.
09-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
FWIW, I can't really imagine a substantial improvement in the 'body' of the K-5 (which is a large part of the reason I have a K-5 instead of a d7000).
I agree. The one thing I really like on the D7000 though and would love to see on a Pentax DSLR is a display of the AF configuration on the top LCD. That would be very handy for how I shoot. I wonder if there will be any difference in the top LCD layout of the K-5II, or menu or VF info display for that matter.

I'm pretty lukewarm about these products. I suppose a K-5II or K-5IIs could make a nice second body, especially since the battery and grip will be interchangeable, but the price is going to have to come down fairly fast to be much of a temptation. Sticking with the same body design is actually a plus in my book but I would've really liked to have seen smaller and more AF points, de-crippled mount, along with 30 and 60fps video. I'm curious what differences there will be with customizing the RAW/FX button, the website touts some customization but doesn't specify what exactly. I've always thought that being able to trigger Catch-in Focus with the RAW/FX button would be useful. Getting to have it work as the green button would be great too. I wonder how long until a downloadable manual will be available so we can find out the little differences without having to wait for reviews. Having the spot metering "float" with the selected AF point is another thing I think would be useful. I saw someone on a blog mention a reciprocal shooting mode that could be very cool. I would like to see that feature customizable in the e-dials and green button. I say all this to make the point that there are lots of little things that can be changed, and that can mean a lot, without changing the body. Some small button reconfigurations could be useful/acceptable too but not without their being detractors who prefer the layout to stay exactly the same. Often accidentally activating the LV button has been what's frustrated me the most. Having a dedicated switch, instead of the OK button, for switching between AF point selection and the WB/flash/drive mode/custom image on the four-way controller could possibly be easier to use in practice. That still trips me up from time to time. How about dual, or even triple, AF assist lights? That wouldn't require a body change. I'm afraid that the list of tweaks, both major and minor ones, on this iteration of the K-5 could have been much longer than it is in reality, and hence the fairly widespread disappointment.

I would think that there's room above the K-5II for a higher-end APSC but I'm not certain of that. I'll be waiting to see what materialize on that front, as well as on the FF front, along with hoping that Pentax figures out that they aren't going to sell many lenses or grow their customer base with their moronic maximum assured pricing.
09-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The release of 2 different versions of the K-5 II somehow really damps the idea of a higher model K-3. Because if a K-3 were to be released above the IIs, then why didn't just they put the 2 versions in the K-3?

09-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #53
Veteran Member

d800 it is then! bye everyone.
09-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Bye.

Why do people think this is it for the next few years? It's a huge launch as it is, they're holding a lot of things back. Marketing 101.
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Do not hurry. Pentax will announce K-3 with 24Mp and Prime M
09-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Bye.

Why do people think this is it for the next few years? It's a huge launch as it is, they're holding a lot of things back. Marketing 101.
Impatience. Justifying unspoken decisions already made. Real need. Perceived need. I wouldn't fret about it - some will change their minds later, when they realise the cost, results, bulk, weight etc weren't what they hoped for or didn't figure on. Others will stay where they are because of ego or because their wants/needs actually were satisfied.

Whether or not there is more coming at Photokina, or at CP+, what we've seen so far is greater movement than we've seen for a long time from Pentax. If it isn't enough, then too bad. I think things are moving in the right direction. The upgrade to the Q flies in the face of people who said it wasn't going to succeed and was a waste of resources. All of the announcements to date are going to sell products to people who wouldn't otherwise have bought Pentax, and to existing users in the case of lenses at least. More sales = more users = more revenue = more development.
09-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I'm very disapointed by the Pentax "strategy".. (if they have one)
No focus peaking, MJPEG video format, no af in video, still 11 AF points, the only major change is a "new" AF whith better focus in low light..
This year line-up looks like a bunch of compromises (rebadged 18-270, 560mm derivated form a telescope, k5-II with minor changes)
And they had two years to make that...
Seriously, i don't undestand the Pentax strategy, not at all...
09-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I've stealing this image from chasseur d'image Forum, thanks to SeRac :
09-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
I've stealing this image from chasseur d'image Forum, thanks to SeRac :
09-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Lol

i was kidding, i'll wait to see if there is a k3 or whatever before i jump to Nikon, but i have decided it is FF time for me... I hope it is FF time for Pentax too.