Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #211
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No more than any other digital cameras.
So we agree.

09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #212
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,511
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The D600 is an answer to Canons 5D
The current 5D is much more expensive.
09-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #213
Senior Member
Belcik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Russia,Moscow
Photos: Albums
Posts: 153
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Aw man. Wasn't able to see it! Wonder what that post contained.
Google rulez
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: "Private" Message from Adam Oest of the Pentax Forums (Pentax Full Frame News!)
09-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #214
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The current 5D is much more expensive.
If you have to start from scratch the D600 might be worth looking at if you were considering a 2nd hand older 5D version...

09-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #215
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Google rulez RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: "Private" Message from Adam Oest of the Pentax Forums (Pentax Full Frame News!)
Thanks, and yes I've found that one too... without google.. though I'm kind of... irritated that RH got wind of it. Problem with the guy is, he's just... well, annoying sometimes. And too loud. Even if you don't hear his (or her?) voice.
09-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #216
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,208
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I see everyone as an artist.

One doesn't require a top-shelf camera (for instance) to make/capture photographic art; The tools don't make the artist.
I agree in principal, but a K-5 makes me more competitive in Macro photography than my *istD does.
09-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #217
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
That might make some sense, but then I would expect more than just a FF DSLR with K mount if they needed more than a year to put it together.

What I wonder is what the timeline will be? If it's not this year, it better be a FF camera with an M mount adapter.
09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #218
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,083
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The current 5D is much more expensive.
...but for how long?

09-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
...but for how long?
There is rumor of Canon taking the 18MP FF from the 1DX and putting it into a lower spec'ed body like the 5DIII and stripping down most of the HD video features so that it does not compete with the 5DIII. The price point would be similar to the D600.

Now the same type of rumor circulated for years with the 1D series and the APS-H sensor, but it never made it into a lower spec'ed body. But now that Nikon has a body at this price point Canon might be more compelled to fill this void in its line-up.

Sony has already done this, but I'm not sure will will see an A850 replacement at the $2,000 price point.

There is definitely room for Pentax to enter the FF market and be competitive. Pentax has not 1D or D4 line to protect so it can produce a well spec'ed K-1 at a $2,500 price point and be successful. Most of the R&D cost is spread out between the APS-C and the 645D.
09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #220
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There is rumor of Canon taking the 18MP FF from the 1DX and putting it into a lower spec'ed body like the 5DIII and stripping down most of the HD video features so that it does not compete with the 5DIII. The price point would be similar to the D600.

Now the same type of rumor circulated for years with the 1D series and the APS-H sensor, but it never made it into a lower spec'ed body. But now that Nikon has a body at this price point Canon might be more compelled to fill this void in its line-up.

Sony has already done this, but I'm not sure will will see an A850 replacement at the $2,000 price point.

There is definitely room for Pentax to enter the FF market and be competitive. Pentax has not 1D or D4 line to protect so it can produce a well spec'ed K-1 at a $2,500 price point and be successful. Most of the R&D cost is spread out between the APS-C and the 645D.

The 1DX owners would have a conniption. I'm not saying Canon won't put out a $2300 FF - they will - but not with their flagship camera's sensor. That camera isn't even a year old yet.

I'm hoping Pentax's camera is ~$2500 - i.e. slightly better spec'd than the D600. At a minimum I 'require' 1/8000.
09-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The 1DX owners would have a conniption. I'm not saying Canon won't put out a $2300 FF - they will - but not with their flagship camera's sensor. That camera isn't even a year old yet.

I'm hoping Pentax's camera is ~$2500 - i.e. slightly better spec'd than the D600. At a minimum I 'require' 1/8000.
That is exactly what Canon did when they took the 1Ds sensor and put it in the 5D series. That worked out pretty good for Canon and Canon customers. The people who are buying the $7,000 1DX are not just buying a sensor. The 1DX is a tank with amazing AF, build quality, buffer/write speed and Canon offers EXCELLENT customer service to these people. There is a huge market for that sensor in a smaller less robust body.

1DX owners wont have a conniption. They are paying for near instant AF, tank like construction, and professional service.
09-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #222
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
Just saying....if Pentax would have released a FF k-3 this year at photokina, but did not bring to the table new FF lenses, would people rejoice because FF is finally here or continue to lament that the line up is not complete or complain one way or another.....
09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Just saying....if Pentax would have released a FF k-3 this year at photokina, but did not bring to the table new FF lenses, would people rejoice because FF is finally here or continue to lament that the line up is not complete or complain one way or another.....
They would have to release it with a 28-70 F/2.8. My guess the D-FA* 28-70 F/2.8 is already developed and ready to go. Pentax is holding it until the K-1 is ready. IF Pentax has a FF in development they will announce the new glass with the body.

If Pentax does release a D-FA* 28-70 then everyone will know what is coming. Might as well just announce the FF with it.
09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #224
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
That is exactly what Canon did when they took the 1Ds sensor and put it in the 5D series.
B+H started shipping the Canon 1DX in July of this year. Two months ago.

I'm pretty sure that Canon didn't take the sensor out of the 1Ds and put it in a 5d that was 65-70% cheaper within two months.

1dx
09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #225
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,574
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree in principal, but a K-5 makes me more competitive in Macro photography than my *istD does.
hmm.. but with whom are you competing?

Art isn't of competition by nature.. but of expression. Art, the way I see it, is your thought(s), your thoughts on other's thoughts, and/or your desire to create thoughts in others expressed in some form (visually, aurally, emotionally, etc). However, I suppose it depends on one's definition of 'art' and this could become it's own thread..

If you feel your art is in some form 'better' with the more technologically advanced camera, then I can understand that. But that goes back to what I said in a post above in 'better' tools allowing the artist an easier means of achieving their vision. However, I could just as easily say the *istD is a better tool for lo-fi, high noise photographic art though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, features, hd, image, images, k-5, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, q10
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax announces Q Silver Docrwm Pentax Q 26 03-28-2012 01:48 AM
Pentax product cycles Spodeworld Photographic Industry and Professionals 6 01-04-2012 08:49 PM
Pentax announces new company name Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 29 10-10-2011 03:07 PM
Pentax Firmware updates artyfact Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 10-29-2010 10:27 PM
Apple announces new product!!! xs400 General Talk 2 01-06-2009 09:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top