Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
B+H started shipping the Canon 1DX in July of this year. Two months ago.

I'm pretty sure that Canon didn't take the sensor out of the 1Ds and put it in a 5d that was 65-70% cheaper within two months.

1dx
The 1DsIII was released 8 months prior to the 5DII with the same sensor. I never expressed an estimated time line.

09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 1DsIII was released 8 months prior to the 5DII with the same sensor. I never expressed an estimated time line.
My position was, that with the very brief timeline and, more importantly, the current price disparity, the 1Dx customers would throw a conniption. I maintain my position, even if the new Canon is released six months from now.
09-13-2012, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #228
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
My position was, that with the very brief timeline and, more importantly, the current price disparity, the 1Dx customers would throw a conniption. I maintain my position, even if the new Canon is released six months from now.
But for this level of photographer the sensor is not as important as the AF and robust feature set. The Canon 1DIV sensor is not as good as the K-5, but people did not flock to it and abandon the 1DIV. The sensor is only one reason that people buy this class of camera.

Canon can put the 18MP sensor in a lower spec'ed body and not make anyone mad, because the sensor is not the primary reason people buy the 1DX. Canon lost lots of users to Nikon with 1DIII not because the sensor was bad for its time, but because of AF performance. When you are talking about 1DX buyers and D4 buyers it is a different level of demands. The D800 has better IQ than the D4 for many applications and sells for 1/2 the price.