Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #61
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
Assuming I sell my K-5 for $650, that means I would have to come up with another $650 for a K-5 IIs...is it really worth that much more?
If not, what is the upgrade path for a current K-5 user?

09-10-2012, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,509
QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
If Pentax will not has a surprise DSLR (may be FF or more significant improvements) announcement in coming 6 months.
It's time for some Pentaxians to think about jump ship plan !
quit being so negative.

Why FF? depth of field? I don't know about you, but I like stuff to be in focus. so you can pay $3000 just to look cool? gimme a break. There is nothing wrong with a pro level APS-C camera. The K5 already out preforms all other APS-C's and FF's (aside from the D800) on the market. The top 10 cameras are, FF D800, APS-C K5, and then 8 different medium format cameras from Hassy and PhaseOne.

Pentax has some awesome product, and put out a great too for photographers of all skill levels. Sorry you, and others, are too gadget and spec crazed that you have to have FF just because someone else said it was awesome. Go take some photos.
09-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #63
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Assuming I sell my K-5 for $650, that means I would have to come up with another $650 for a K-5 IIs...is it really worth that much more?
If not, what is the upgrade path for a current K-5 user?
This is a good question, you get the point !
09-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #64
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
quit being so negative.

Why FF? depth of field? I don't know about you, but I like stuff to be in focus. so you can pay $3000 just to look cool? gimme a break. There is nothing wrong with a pro level APS-C camera. The K5 already out preforms all other APS-C's and FF's (aside from the D800) on the market. The top 10 cameras are, FF D800, APS-C K5, and then 8 different medium format cameras from Hassy and PhaseOne.

Pentax has some awesome product, and put out a great too for photographers of all skill levels. Sorry you, and others, are too gadget and spec crazed that you have to have FF just because someone else said it was awesome. Go take some photos.
That's all fine and dandy...if you want to remain in the low single digit marketshare range.
The status quo will not switch people from other companies to Pentax. K-5 II = Status Quo

09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,216
QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
If Pentax will not has a surprise DSLR (may be FF or more significant improvements) announcement in coming 6 months.
It's time for some Pentaxians to think about jump ship plan !
Only the ones that rely on photography for income, my-self does this for hobby so I can deal with equipment that presents a challenge.
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,216
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That's all fine and dandy...if you want to remain in the low single digit marketshare range.
The status quo will not switch people from other companies to Pentax. K-5 II = Status Quo
I do not invest in Pentax stock so I give two shits about their market share. Here today, gone tomorrow could happen but I doubt it.
09-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #67
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,882
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I do not invest in Pentax stock so I give two shits about their market share.
More market share means more lenses, accessories, and other fun products come out of and for Pentax land... in theory.
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #68
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,235
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I do not invest in Pentax stock so I give two shits about their market share.


JP

09-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #69
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I do not invest in Pentax stock so I give two shits about their market share. Here today, gone tomorrow could happen but I doubt it.
I would agree with you, except if something of mine breaks in the future, it would be nice to be able to fix it, or be able to sell my gear for more than pennies on the dollar.
09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #70
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
More market share means more lenses, accessories, and other fun products come out of and for Pentax land... in theory.
Wouldn't it be nice if Pentax had the same 3rd party support as the big guys?
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #71
HSV
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 321
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Assuming I sell my K-5 for $650, that means I would have to come up with another $650 for a K-5 IIs...is it really worth that much more?
If not, what is the upgrade path for a current K-5 user?
I don't think anybody serious should buy the K-5 II on this year...price is one factor, and the other factor is the risk of getting a "bad batch" (as the original K-5). It would be better to wait for some price decrease and let Pentax correct some issues, firmware, etc.

Don't let Ricoh know that I'm trying to hurt their profits!!!
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #72
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
quit being so negative.

Why FF? depth of field? I don't know about you, but I like stuff to be in focus. so you can pay $3000 just to look cool? gimme a break. There is nothing wrong with a pro level APS-C camera. The K5 already out preforms all other APS-C's and FF's (aside from the D800) on the market. The top 10 cameras are, FF D800, APS-C K5, and then 8 different medium format cameras from Hassy and PhaseOne.

Pentax has some awesome product, and put out a great too for photographers of all skill levels. Sorry you, and others, are too gadget and spec crazed that you have to have FF just because someone else said it was awesome. Go take some photos.

I realize K-5 is a great APSC camera and Pentax had done great jobs years ago
But I believe someone is misunderstanding my meaning.
Please look what had happened in the market today
(when Nikon and Sony are doing some great things in their products or marketing strategy) What is Pentax marketing strategy ?
I am afraid you don't know how many Pentaxians are waiting for Pentax's FF year after year.
They are collecting a lot of FF lens and they are very patient to looking for Pentax launch FF in some day
Pentax has missed a lot of opportunities to made them strong again in these years.
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,216
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would agree with you, except if something of mine breaks in the future, it would be nice to be able to fix it, or be able to sell my gear for more than pennies on the dollar.
There is that...minor inconvenience, dammitt
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #74
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 472
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
So no focus peeking?
Sad news indeed
What about video? Any one know if we're getting Full HD on the K-5 II?
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #75
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
What is Pentax marketing strategy ?
Hope people are stupid.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, features, hd, image, images, k-5, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, q10
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax announces Q Silver Docrwm Pentax Q 26 03-28-2012 01:48 AM
Pentax product cycles Spodeworld Photographic Industry and Professionals 6 01-04-2012 08:49 PM
Pentax announces new company name Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 29 10-10-2011 03:07 PM
Pentax Firmware updates artyfact Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 10-29-2010 10:27 PM
Apple announces new product!!! xs400 General Talk 2 01-06-2009 09:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top