Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Clinton: "I own a 250-600, 600/4, 1200/8. New 560? I'll take it!"
My LBA is retired. This lens doesn't appear to have any reason to excite me (yet). Besides, my 250-600 cost less than this.

Of course my lenses aren't weather sealed...

09-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxinator Quote
I would say the K-5 II is not the succesor of the K-5, its an updated version. They needed to release something at this photokina, but did not have the time to make a proper new flagship. Expect big announcements (24mp APC-S) at C+ next year, and full frame(and the lenses to go with it) at next photokina.
I mostly agree. Pentax was probably not ready with its 24MP K3 by Photokina so they cobbled together a K5II holdover. The lack of the Prime M, no expanded video options, and no focus peaking indicate to me that The K5II is not the true flagship. My guess is that we'll see the K3 at some point in the next 6 months. Even if that happens though, the K5 II will still be in an odd place in the lineup since it lacks features in the K30 but is more of the flagship...Weird.

Pentax announced this stuff early as to not get drowned out at Photokina.

Personally, I love my K5; I'd probably upgrade to the K5IIs if I needed great AF in harsh conditions. I don't but I think it will be a great camera to some folks if the AF is all its cracked up to be.
09-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
AF system still uses same old 11 point system with its huge AF points.
Hmm there's mention somewhere of the AF being improved for f2.8 apertures or something... perhaps they have reduced the size of the AF sensors...
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Hmm there's mention somewhere of the AF being improved for f2.8 apertures or something... perhaps they have reduced the size of the AF sensors...
With the improvement in low EV's, I'm guessing that the size stayed the same; and Pentax is giving us better sensitivity instead.

09-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
$7000 is the MSRP? So we can count on this being around $6k?
If the recent rebate and maximum assured pricing schemescam is any indication it'll be $6,900 after rebate.
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
With the improvement in low EV's, I'm guessing that the size stayed the same; and Pentax is giving us better sensitivity instead.
While that may also be true, I'm holding the glass half-full as of now until comparative tests between the K-5c and K-5 II/s have been made...
09-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #97
ogl
Pentaxian

NO FOCUS PEAKING in K-5II
09-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So... They're keeping the exciting announcements for photokina itself then?

09-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
My LBA is retired. This lens doesn't appear to have any reason to excite me (yet). Besides, my 250-600 cost less than this.

Of course my lenses aren't weather sealed...
Agreed. I'm, not going to dump my FA 600 f/4 just yet for which I paid less than this DA 560... and if the 600 is just too long
for the occasion, I think I will struggle by with the A-400 f/2.8 and the 1.4x-L converter and grouse about its additional depth of field.
09-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So... They're keeping the exciting announcements for photokina itself then?
Would that it were so T_T
09-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION (PENTAX) today announced the introduction of its PENTAX K-5 II and K-5 IIs flagship digital SLR cameras
The "flagship" moniker is very revealing. To me it means no K-3 anytime soon.

Also, the fact that Pentax was able only to tweak the AF system and LCD cover on their top APSC system over the course of 2 years shows how close to the edge the company has been operating. Virtually all development has gone into two different mirrorless systems, and a few lenses (and all but one of the lenses are niche products that will sell just a few pieces), with just a few table scraps left for the flagship. Not a sustainable strategy in my view.

Maybe there just hasn't been enough time to see Ricoh's influence in product development yet.
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #102
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
That caught my eye as well. Is this just a goof in their press release? I'm not aware of autofocus problems with faster lenses. I thought that the problems were the other way around: poor autofocus in low light conditions (or equivalently, with slower lenses).

--- Don
09-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I have the feeling that when Ricoh purchased Pentax they forgot to get their engineers as well. Or maybe most of them quit and moved elsewhere. They just got enough to design a SAFOX X in one year. And improve a bit the Q. And figure out how to remove an AA filter.

How many Pentax engineers does it take to remove a filter?
One, because the other one is busy working on the SAFOX update.

How many Pentax engineers worked on the Q10?
One - the one that knew binary.
09-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #104
ogl
Pentaxian

All announcements look like mockery for me - 90% of Pentaxian don't need such products. IMO.
Rebadged Tamron 18-270 - with old bad SDM and weak optically.
High expensive 645 DFA90 for MF users and marginal DA560 for USD7000.
Pentax Q with the same tiny sensor and new dark zoom + adapter.
K-5II is old camera with old processor and sensor with minor tweaks.

You don't know whether to laugh or cry...
09-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I have the feeling that when Ricoh purchased Pentax they forgot to get their engineers as well. Or maybe most of them quit and moved elsewhere. They just got enough to design a SAFOX X in one year. And improve a bit the Q. And figure out how to remove an AA filter.
Are you sure about that?
You forgot about the K-30 (new processor, body, tweaked SAFOX IXi+...); but your biggest mistake is to believe the K-5 II is the most important thing they were working on.

ogl, are you mad 'cause your "rumours" proved to be false?