Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #106
Pentaxian

The K5 II(s) solves the problems of the two year old K5 nothing else. Replacing a K5 will cost at least 500$ just to get what was already promised with the K5. Thank you Pentax.

If we consider the K30 the most important Pentax why even bother presenting a 560 mm lens.

The 560 lens is a nice try, but how on earth can you design a lens with less glass asking more than the price tag of comparable Nikon/Canon glass? Basically any 2.8/300 plus a 2x converter costs less and will not fall short of the Pentax design. You may save some weigth, but lengthwise this is a long baby. Same front lens diameter than a 2.8/300 ... The lens requries an extension tube for close focus anyone thought of that yet?? Why not come up with a 2.8/300 plus a decent 2x converter. This would be the more logical step to go. OK, the price is the suggested retail price, come down a little and I am still interested, but show me some ideas of a new camera and a couple more high-performance lenses.

And just as expected, the announcement came 1-2 days before the expected Nikon announcement. If you have nothing exciting to tell, tell the story before the big new comes out. While Pentax presents lenses with starnge specs in mutliple versions and replaces bugs in existing gear other do much much better - even filling in the Pentax niche.

09-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, let me be voice of reason or devils advocate(depends on point of view).
Any one of you held in hands, tested, seen shots from K-5II/IIs ? You all make judgment by specs. If any of you remember focus peeking on K-01 and K-30 doesn't featured in Pentax spec list.
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The K5 II(s) solves the problems of the two year old K5 nothing else. Replacing a K5 will cost at least 500$ just to get what was already promised with the K5. Thank you Pentax.

If we consider the K30 the most important Pentax why even bother presenting a 560 mm lens.

The 560 lens is a nice try, but how on earth can you design a lens with less glass asking more than the price tag of comparable Nikon/Canon glass? Basically any 2.8/300 plus a 2x converter costs less and will not fall short of the Pentax design. You may save some weigth, but lengthwise this is a long baby. Same front lens diameter than a 2.8/300 ... The lens requries an extension tube for close focus anyone thought of that yet?? Why not come up with a 2.8/300 plus a decent 2x converter. This would be the more logical step to go. OK, the price is the suggested retail price, come down a little and I am still interested, but show me some ideas of a new camera and a couple more high-performance lenses.

And just as expected, the announcement came 1-2 days before the expected Nikon announcement. If you have nothing exciting to tell, tell the story before the big new comes out. While Pentax presents lenses with starnge specs in mutliple versions and replaces bugs in existing gear other do much much better - even filling in the Pentax niche.
Reluctantly I have to agree fully. It's a very pessimistic view, but sadly, one that is true. I have no clue what the thinking behind all this is.

We can only hope that they still kept a big surprise or two up their sleeve for the presentation at Photokina itself.

On a positive note: The announcements are not exciting, but they are plenty. A much higher quantity then we could have hoped for under Hoya. So it's safe to say that Ricoh has ungummed the works and got things rolling again. If they can do this in just a years time then who knows what's to come?
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #109

hhhmmmmnnnnn.... be interesting ...

09-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
On a positive note: The announcements are not exciting, but they are plenty. A much higher quantity then we could have hoped for under Hoya. So it's safe to say that Ricoh has ungummed the works and got things rolling again. If they can do this in just a years time then who knows what's to come?
Spot on. Let's see...

Photokina 2010:
- K-r
- K-5
- one Optio
- 18-135
- DA 35mm f/2.4

Photokina 2012:
- K-5 II/IIs (but the K-30 was announced earlier this year)
- 560mm
- 18-270
- D FA645 90mm
- Q + lens + adapter
09-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
But notice that neither one appears to support the now obsolete 'screw mount'. One can suspect that Pentax is done introducing screw mount lenses.
I think they have been done with that since 1975!

But with regard to screw DRIVE lenses, one might note that this year's DA 40mm XS and the DA 50mm f/1.8 both fall into that category.

And I hope there will be more. It works, it's fast, and it keeps the size, weight, and cost of the lenses down. Maybe they can figure out a way to make it quieter.
09-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It cant be only theses, there must be some hidden announcement somewhere at Pentax :-)

09-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was never going to be in the market for the 560, but a Q-10 and Q-K adaptor will turn my current lenses into a killer super-tele lineup for 1/10th the cost and weight.
And I'll be first in line for a K-5 IIs.

Well done Pentax! Call me if you ever drop a full frame. I'm not holding my breath.
09-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Why do people insist on comparing to Sigma lenses? Sigma is the lens manufacturer with the worst reputation on the planet. In the internet early days the were web pages dedicated to the crap usually labeled SIgnificant MAlfunction. I wouldn't touch them with a pole....
I remember that long before the web was invented, Sigma was known as a low-end maker of cheap & ugly lenses. But they've advanced quite a bit since then, haven't they?
09-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Assuming I sell my K-5 for $650, that means I would have to come up with another $650 for a K-5 IIs...is it really worth that much more?
If not, what is the upgrade path for a current K-5 user?
What about K20 and K7 users. Are they not Pentax users? Why do you think they wouldn't like K-5 II over the old K-5?
09-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #116
Veteran Member

My initial negativity is fading just as it was when the K-01 was released, thanks to other positive thinkers in this forum.

9 announcements is a lot, and we aren't sure if Pentax is already done yet.

The K-5 IIs is probably the sweetest deal out there in October, though I'll wait 'til December to make sure there are no "first batch blues" like the K-5 Classic had with its stained sensors..

and as far as screw-drive lenses are concerned, I do hope Pentax introduces a choice for DA* lenses - so that you can choose not to use the SDM and just the screw instead, or at least make the lens AF-usable in case the SDM fails. THAT, I believe, is "pro support" already, and extends the "pro lens" reliability score by a nautical mile.
09-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
What about K20 and K7 users. Are they not Pentax users? Why do you think they wouldn't like K-5 II over the old K-5?
Speaking personally as a K-7 user the K-5II is a potential upgrade. However I'd be much more inclined to get a good second hand K-5 for less than half the price of a new K-5II. Or I might even look at the K-30. I don't do a lot of stuff for which the AF on the K-7 is insufficient.
09-11-2012, 01:23 AM - 4 Likes   #118
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
There is nothing that interests me to buy in this moment.
Just improve the AF performance which is not attracting new buyers to consume Pentax's camera in nowadays
Pentax is disappointing it's supporters again and again !
If Pentax will not has a surprise DSLR (may be FF or more significant improvements) announcement in coming 6 months.
It's time for some Pentaxians to think about jump ship plan !
Are most complainers so downright selfish and obtuse?

Why you must judge everything by that you want to spend your money on? Your money is irrelevant, and all the detestable notions coming from your overwhelming buying needs and zero common sense.

Don't you think there may be thousands of other people who could actually be happy with this latest offer from Pentax? People who didn't buy a K5 because they have had some older Pentax cameras, or didn't have enough money to get one then, but now they have saved for it and will actually use this k-5 II with pleasure? All considering that Pentax is offering an overall improved camera that was already a classic and almost complete as it was.

But I believe someone is misunderstanding my meaning.
Please look what had happened in the market today …
No, I think some have understood it well. You and all the whiners have no idea what you're talking about.
So please, jump ships. Or even better, swim in shark infested sea to reach whatever that sorry ship is there for you.
09-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Your money is irrelevant, and...
Money from customers is irrelevant to Pentax? Gee, I guess Pentax has understood that really very well then. I just cancelled my order of two lenses because of this path to nowhere which they seem to have laid now. I'll await further announcements from Pentax that show that they want to survive the comming years. I don't want to be stuck with gear that has zero resale-value because the brand dissappeared.
09-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Money from customers is irrelevant to Pentax?
He didn't actually say that.

Pentax also could care less about people who constantly bash their products until they finally get the sensor size they want.
And my bet is, you'll still bash the FF camera.

Will you ever be happy with Pentax? I don't think so.

Will you be happy with Canon, Nikon or Sony? I don't think so, either.

I, for one, will now go out and shoot.