Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No mention of focus peaking on the k-5 II? Does it not come with it....

Is the prime 2 processor better than the one in the k-30?

09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I agree.
Very confusing.
I'm thinking that perhaps the Pentax/Ricoh team sat down and worked really hard to come-up with a product strategy that would meet the available resources and deadline for the show.
There's no doubt in my mind a much improved imaging engine will be in the K-3 24MP camera. They are heading for a 3 tier DSLR lineup: K30, K5II/s, K3. I'm not so sure a FF is on the horizon now.
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I only use one focusing spot. I'd give you the other ten if I could.
I could not agree more....
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

You are right.
I forgot about that

/returns to hoping ...
Doesn't look good for a K-300 then..

Looks like it is K-30 --> K-5 mk II/s --> K3 (maybe)

09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<Sigh> Eight announcements, and not one I give a damn about. The HD coating is by far the most exciting, but I wish they had called it SMC+ or something. It's time I acknowledge the writing that has been on the well for the last three years, if one's brand doesn't produce products that interest one, then it's time to switch brands. Guess I'll keep the film lenses for now.
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
<Sigh> Eight announcements, and not one I give a damn about. The HD coating is by far the most exciting, but I wish they had called it SMC+ or something. It's time I acknowledge the writing that has been on the well for the last three years, if one's brand doesn't produce products that interest one, then it's time to switch brands. Guess I'll keep the film lenses for now.
I wonder if were going to see this new coating appear on older lenses such as the LTD's?
09-10-2012, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

heeere we go. i am honestly not that interested in the announcement itself, but it's worth it just to see the reaction. what were you expecting? don't you understand there is NO sensor better or even close to the one in the k-5, today. none, not the 24mp fiasco that followed, none comes close. the engineer at sony who designed it was probably in a moment of revelation, and was most likely stoned to death after they realized what he had done (may his soul rest in peace). the engineer at pentax who correctly observed this is still the best sensor on the market, and there's no need to **** around with something else diserves 1. beer (or respective equivalent) 2. our gratitude, as this is a sign of respect towards the pentax community (which might prove to be undeserved, the way things are going) "those guys won't fall for more pixels and crappier quality"

all speculation at this point is worthless, there's no more rumors, we have specs. now all we can do is wait for actual reviews, and see what these specs mean. what does the new af system really mean? tweaked (to -3 ev? hmm), great in low light, and fast, bust still couldn't track an ocean liner crossing the frame in 5 minutes? low light, fast, and tracking good enough to give the canon 7d (for instance) a run for it's money? if it is faster, are there any lenses that can make use of that? (ugh). truth is, we don't know, and until we do, i suggest we hold the "bleah, boring" 's and the "this doesn't look like 2y of r&d" 's. i've been on this forum long enough to be able to write a book about "bitching about subpar af", so now it seems they listened, and made you your killer af. at least wait to see what it's like, ffs. did you expect a full frame in a k5 body with class-leading af, a sensor nikon, canon sony and phase one would collectively drool at and mind control technology for 500bucks? well, just be patient, maybe they'll release that at photokina in a week.

/me walks of mumbling something unintelligible

09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Know what, I'm glad that PEF raw files stayed at K-5II/IIs
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
No mention of focus peaking on the k-5 II? Does it not come with it....

Is the prime 2 processor better than the one in the k-30?
nop, the Prime II is the previous processor.

The PRIME M is the new processor.

So, the prime M is better.
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
nop, the Prime II is the previous processor.

The PRIME M is the new processor.

So, the prime M is better.
So no focus peeking?
Sad news indeed
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice stuff...

Like the looks of the new Q, and the K5IIs sounds amazing, as does the 18-270; does this have the resolution to keep up with a K5IIs I wonder?

And the 560 mm is a SERIOUS piece of glass, and I think it will signal to the market that Pentax is once again a serious camera company, which they have not been able to do since the film days and in the wake of the full frame disaster in 2000.

Nice going, Pentax! Now to sell my FA*s so I can afford some of this stuff.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #42
Banned

Wow tha 560mm lens is expensive. Way out of my league.
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

So no focus peeking?
Sad news indeed
Are you sure focus peeking is done on PRIREM not on SAFOX ?
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #44
Pentaxian

There must have been a mistake w/ the 560mm pricing. The Sigma 500/4.5 is a wonderful lens for much less.
Seems like $6k would fit a 645Dii as pricing...

K5iis is a good improvement.
For the complainers, just bring up an aps-c dslr that will now match or better the K5iis in performance/price.
Nikon also did the same before with D300/D300s, so whats the big deal.

The Q front is a good improvement.
A Q10 to address the price problem the Q1 had in finding acceptance.
I'm eager to see the performance of the 15-45/2.8 tele before deciding on one.
The adapter has a shutter, but will it have 1/250 flash sync? (Need to check before buying)

I'd expect the high end aps-c to be announced later.
So at least K30 > K5ii > K3 for aps-c
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Are you sure focus peeking is done on PRIREM not on SAFOX ?
Yes, it's done on the PRIME in Live View mode; the SAFOX is their classic phase detection AF system.