Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
There must have been a mistake w/ the 560mm pricing. The Sigma 500/4.5 is a wonderful lens for much less.
c

Why do people insist on comparing to Sigma lenses? Sigma is the lens manufacturer with the worst reputation on the planet. In the internet early days the were web pages dedicated to the crap usually labeled SIgnificant MAlfunction. I wouldn't touch them with a pole....

Compare Pentax lenses to Nikon and Canon

09-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it's done on the PRIME in Live View mode; the SAFOX is their classic phase detection AF system.
So what is the rationale behind the K-5 not having focus peaking when it is supposed to be the flagship? The K-30 and K-01 has focus peaking....
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
So what is the rationale behind the K-5 not having focus peaking when it is supposed to be the flagship? The K-30 and K-01 has focus peaking....
I think they would if they could, but Prime II can't do it, and the sensor is closely tied to the imaging engine so a decision to keep the same sensor is a decision to keep the same imaging engine. Maybe Prime M can't do 14bit RAW? Maybe some other constraint meant they couldn't shoe horn the K-01 sensor and PrimeM into the K-5 body? Who knows.
09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Maybe it's not a flagship any more. Maybe we will have a FFlagship?

09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure why people are surprised at high Pentax pricing when that has been the trend for some time now -- the number one reason I can't recommend the brand as enthusiastically as I once did.

The second trend has been underwhelming products. The K-5 II certainly qualifies. It doesn't even seem to have all the updates in the K-30. I am very glad there is an option for a body without AA filter but Pentax are really shadowing their competition on this. To play catch-up properly they need stuff like focus peaking, distance read-outs, and so on.

And I must mention that it is past a joke that Pentax is still peddling a crippled mount.

And, no, the Q mount products don't make up for it. Though I am glad to see the 645 platform getting another good lens. Not my market, but...
09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would point to the fact that it is not the flag-ship, maybe they are holding something in reserve.

p.s. wonder how focus-peaking would work with astro, I bet my night vision would be shot.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-10-2012 at 04:59 PM.
09-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #52
Inactive Account

There is nothing that interests me to buy in this moment.
Just improve the AF performance which is not attracting new buyers to consume Pentax's camera in nowadays
Pentax is disappointing it's supporters again and again !

Last edited by NightPorter; 09-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I've been a Pentax defender throughout and I kept my mouth shut in all the FF discussions and all the rumour threads. I've been waiting patiently hoping Pentax was working on something that would really excite me. Now I can't help but feel disappointed with these announcements.

After two years we get a slightly improved K-5? No Prime M processor, no increase in the number of focus points? A supposedly improved AF? That's pretty much it? After two years! Oh sorry I forgot, the LCD is supposedly better. And they just announced that this is their flagship model so I really don't see anything better coming until next year at the earliest. And I'm not even asking for a brand new flagship camera. Take the excellent K-5 body, improve the AF, add more AF points, replace the older processor with the Prime M and (maybe) include a swivel screen. But they couldn't even manage that!

Don't even start with the Q. Sony fit a full-frame sensor in a tiny body, and m4/3 cameras are significantly better in every way. But hey, it comes in red!

And they couldn't even bother to weather seal the Tamron lens! One of the main advantages of Pentax is it's range of affordable weather sealed lenses and the Tammy clone isn't included. You want to bet that this lens will cost significantly higher the the Tamron original?

But you know what, in terms of lenses I am willing to wait. The most exciting lenses, according to the roadmap, are due in 2013 and 2014. But in terms of cameras, especially if you factor in what the competition is going to announce, this is nothing but a massive disappointment.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 09-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm glad Pentax didn't introduce a real upgrade over my K-5. Saves me some money.

Unless a see a huge improvement in low-light and a huge improvement in the detail and IQ of the "S" model I will spend my money somewhere else.
09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh Boy! A slightly better screen and slightly better autofocus, with the the lowest number of autofocus points in the class. I'm going to rush right out and sell my K-5 for the new K-5II. Can't wait.
09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
2 years of R&D (a full 50% longer than their previous 16 month flagship release cycle, 8 months extra to handle the Ricoh transition), and what we get is a tweaked AF module (same old 11 points) shoehorned into a K-5, with no other practical changes.
Yeah - it seems either a lot of R&D work got tossed, or there's something more to be announced.

Still - for someone who already is invested in K-mount glass, better AF and no AA filter might make having a K-5 IIs worthwhile, to complement the original K-5.

Although to be honest, this kind of slow release of new features is making Nikon FF look good right now. If only the damned lenses weren't so expensive!
09-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wow tha 560mm lens is expensive. Way out of my league.
Guess we ordinary folk have to settle for a 150mm lens on the Q10!
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #58

No "Quick-Shift Focus on the 18-270...

I note that the new 18-270 has a "AF/MF" switch on the side - and no mention of the "Quick-Shift Focus" in the specs... so something else not re-engineered when brought over from Tamron. Does anyone think that the autofocus motor has been changed from what ever Tamron uses to a Pentax SDM? Considering the problem I've had with my 17-70 SDM, I'd rather have what ever Tamron is using in their branded version!
09-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
If only the damned lenses weren't so expensive!
Do yourself a favor...look up Nikon prices for their full frame lenses and look up Pentax DA* lens prices. I think you will see that you can get a full frame Nikon Kit for not much more than a High End Pentax kit. Especially if you go third party.
Nikon full frame glass being a lot more expensive than Pentax is a myth.

The thing is Nikon has a lot more choices so you just have to know what you want and do research.
09-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #60
Inactive Account

If Pentax will not has a surprise DSLR (may be FF or more significant improvements) announcement in coming 6 months.
It's time for some Pentaxians to think about jump ship plan !