Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM - 3 Likes   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick aside. You know who's really happy about this? The camera reviewers at dpreview:

"Copy K5 review, paste K5 review. Insert paragraph about improved AF."

"Job well done boys. Lets go for lunch."

09-11-2012, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Just a quick aside. You know who's really happy about this? The camera reviewers at dpreview:

LOL!

Well that's kinda what the Pentax R&D department did, isn't it?
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL!

Well that's kinda what the Pentax R&D department did, isn't it?
Ouch that burns.
09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
$7000 for the 560?

Ouch!!
I would assume the 560/5.6 is based on the existing Pentax SMC PF-100ED, which has no AF, but additional, more complicated and expensive to make prism optics inside. The monocular retails for 1/3 of the suggested retail price. I feel somewhat ripped off - or the other way round: I won't buy that lens at this price and I guess, there aren't many who actually will. The Pentax lens would be in the same price range as the Nikon 500/4, which is a full f-stop faster and features shake-reduction inside.

Ben

09-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Why do people insist on comparing to Sigma lenses? Sigma is the lens manufacturer with the worst reputation on the planet. In the internet early days the were web pages dedicated to the crap usually labeled SIgnificant MAlfunction. I wouldn't touch them with a pole....

Compare Pentax lenses to Nikon and Canon
All of my Sigma lenses work nicely, my Pentax DA 16-60 just starts to fall apart for the second time. I use my old Sigma 18-50/2.8 instead, which is reliable and at least as sharp.

Ben
09-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #156

Wow has this announcement been a disappointment.
;(
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #157
bxf
Veteran Member

"The camera’s new, highly sensitive AF sensor enables photographers to work with a luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to F5.6..."

I understand what better sensitivity to low light levels means, but can someone please explain the above sentence? What is the significance of the reference to f2.8/5.6?

09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
"The camera’s new, highly sensitive AF sensor enables photographers to work with a luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to F5.6..."

I understand what better sensitivity to low light levels means, but can someone please explain the above sentence? What is the significance of the reference to f2.8/5.6?
I wonder if it has anything to do with the flux capacitor?

09-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #159
bxf
Veteran Member

Hmmm, even if it does, it doesn't help. And, I'm still waiting for time travel...
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by salgueiros Quote
It is hard to find a thread about a new Pentax product here without posts after posts of whiners, unbelievable! Please jump ship and stop annoying the rest of us.
A lot of the "whiners" are actually long time contributors who have years worth of helpful posts and some pretty good pics on this forum, so the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" kind of attitude is ... well I don't know the right word but it seems the community here would be poorer if all the people calling for, or already purchased, FF took your advice and left with all their knowledge along with it. Don't you think?
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Hmmm, even if it does, it doesn't help. And, I'm still waiting for time travel...
Perhaps this is Pentax's gateway to giving its customers the mythical full-frame. Buy K-5 II, travel through time into the future, and purchase the FF there. How to go back, I hope it's in the manual!
09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
A lot of the "whiners" are actually long time contributors who have years worth of helpful posts and some pretty good pics on this forum, so the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" kind of attitude is ... well I don't know the right word but it seems the community here would be poorer if all the people calling for, or already purchased, FF took your advice and left with all their knowledge along with it. Don't you think?
IMO,
The problem is that many have become turncoats who would take good photos whatever camera they are using, influencing (or trying) others that Pentax is bad and whatever brand they use now is 'good' (and takes better photos).
Not only that, their former contributions were great, but their current ones are no more than trouble making/whining.

Good photographers go as well as come on any forum (or switch brands).
If I did it, at least I'd have the courtesy not to 'stir shit' in the former brand's forum.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote

I think that's what Pentax did with the K-5II specs. It still has "SDXC (via firmware update)" just like the original K-5.
09-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #164
Veteran Member

People keep bringing up the size of the Pentax booth at PK but I am wondering if it is only Pentax that will be using that. Will RICOH have their own booth or will they share the Pentax booth? They're now 'one company' after all, even if they're two brand names. We're yet to see what products are released under the RICOH moniker that may support the K-mount.
09-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've got so many FF glass to mount to FF, that I don't even know where to start. And so do lots of other Pentaxians. It is caused by the truly excellent backwards compatibility of Pentax. If they issue a FF this Photokina and issue a FF lens roadmap for the comming year or two at the same time, they'll be fine.
Clavius, your "I have full-frame lenses!" argument is valid, and from this forum I know a lot of others also do. However a lot is not all. And I believe it would be silly for Pentax to sell a full-frame camera without offering at least a 24-70mm zoom, "Hey buy this camera for your old lenses, if you dont have some wait a few years for us to sell some. Good day to you Sir!." Now it is true that you have the FA limiteds......