Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Adam, I'm glad that you are saying this. You echo my own thoughts, but have much more cred on the forum. I'll wait until Photokina, but if this is all I see and if Nikon really does release a D600, I'm probably jumping to Nikon. Sony is the other possibility. They seem to have the most aggressive R&D right now.
I'm with you right there. I never thought I would say it but after these announcements I'm seriously going to consider jumping ship if Photokina is likewise a bust.

09-10-2012, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I'm with you right there. I never thought I would say it but after these announcements I'm seriously going to consider jumping ship if Photokina is likewise a bust.
Pentax need to a cap on this ASAP or High end users will spilling out from the top.
09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Pentax need to a cap on this ASAP or High end users will spilling out from the top.
Those who think Pentax FF will come out this year is absolutely out of their minds! There is no WAY a FF will come out this year. Wait until Photokina and just see! Should've known that in the first place and jump ship along time ago. Next year Pentax will announce a FF and who knows whether they will release it that year or not. For what I know is Pentax will probably start announcing FF zooms here and there until next year where they will announce FF.
09-10-2012, 05:45 PM - 12 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This place has gone nuts... Pentax are giving you an improved tool to allow you create images and all I see is bitchin and moaning. The K-5 design was not broken, the 16MB sensor is still competitive and they have seriously overhauled the AF which is the K-5s weakest point and generally that was only at wider than f/2.8 and in low light scenarios. + They have given those who feel they need absolute sharpness an option not to have the AA filter in place. I wait with baited breath for those with a K-5IIs exclaiming that their DA18-55s are not sharp enough. And those that want to jump ship? Go on fook off, and take your bitchin and moaning to the other brands.

09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
This place has gone nuts... Pentax are giving you an improved tool to allow you create images and all I see is bitchin and moaning. The K-5 design was not broken, the 16MB sensor is still competitive and they have seriously overhauled the AF which is the K-5s weakest point and generally that was only at wider than f/2.8 and in low light scenarios. + They have given those who feel they need absolute sharpness an option not to have the AA filter in place. I wait with baited breath for those with a K-5IIs exclaiming that their DA18-55s are not sharp enough. And those that want to jump ship? Go on fook off, and take your bitchin and moaning to the other brands.
Hear, hear.

Canon is still flogging the 18MP APS-C sensor...
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The AF has not been seriously overhauled. Same 11 point system with too big points.
09-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the funniest things I read today, this calls for a "like".

09-10-2012, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

You are correct; the K-5 is a fine camera.

For two years, Pentaxians have been asking for better AF. And after two years ..... that's we got. A bit anticlimactic, do you think?

Reminds me of driving via the rear view mirror.

I think I've posted enough along these lines for one day. Tomorrow might bring better news.
09-10-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, OK. The K5 is a very nice camera, I like it alot. But people got to admit this is a bit sad as pentax's latest and greatest. There is still the possibility of something even better this year, we will see soon. At the very least they should have gave it focus peaking and improved video. Looks like Pentax had some spare parts left and had to use them up. I think the K-3 will be sweet when/if it comes out.
09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the K-3 will be sweet when/if it comes out.
Yes indeed. Meanwhile the -II is looking pretty good. Someone please test the new AF.
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
You are correct; the K-5 is a fine camera.

For two years, Pentaxians have been asking for better AF. And after two years ..... that's we got. A bit anticlimactic, do you think?

Reminds me of driving via the rear view mirror.

I think I've posted enough along these lines for one day. Tomorrow might bring better news.
You only hear more complaints over positive comments because most people tend to overlook the positive side of life and only see and talk about the negative in their life. These people can go to Canon or Nikon, we have no need for selfish ungrateful people on the Pentax side of things. As you can see, this poll clearly shows that Pentax did the right thing. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/198523-would-you-r...-focus-ff.html Anticlimactic is right. These people need to grow up and look at what Pentax has done and tried so hard to do. Pentax makes great tools for people and yet people are so ungrateful.
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Yes, but....

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hear, hear.

Canon is still flogging the 18MP APS-C sensor...
....now that 18 MP sensor has phase detect focusing on it - so phase detect works in live view. I've read they also reduced noise levels at higher ISO settings. In the MP war it seems Nikon has gone big and Canon has gone better - flipped from what it's been for the past few years.

Reviews say the image quality of the low-end Nikon D3200 with 24 MP is awful. So more MP doesn't automatically translate to better quality. The 16 MP Sony sensor in the K-5 is a proven performer, so I can see why they didn't mess with it. That and it's attendant low-noise amplification circuitry are the real heart of the K-5. The burst performance is still competitive with cameras that cost twice as much. That would probably change with a larger sensor and it's resulting larger image files.

Still, there were issues Pentax should have addressed: the silly histogram in live view that only measures the levels on the LCD, not on the sensor is one. Small things that could be dealt with in firmware - although who knows, maybe that is part of the new firmware upgrade?
09-10-2012, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I agree! Why don't some of these whiners just go? I don't think the autofocus is that bad and in lower light with a 500mm it appears to have been fixed. There isn't much more to ask for from me.
09-10-2012, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #29
Inactive Account

Don't be silly

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
These people can go to Canon or Nikon, we have no need for selfish ungrateful people on the Pentax side of things.
We pay for these products - Pentax isn't giving them away! This isn't some kind of religion. It's a camera company and its customers. We pay the bill so we have a right to express our pleasure or displeasure with the company's actions.

I think people may be expecting too much too soon from the Ricoh takeover. What they seem to be doing is adjusting the product lineup to be more logical in how it addresses the market. And at the moment they are using proven components across the line to avoid any more disasters like the original K-5 release. Pentax needs positive PR and to reestablish the integrity of the brand after Hoya wrecked it.

And the ILC market is now too important to ignore: notice there is a new Q model and lens release. That's significant. Ricoh seems to be backing the Q design when there was speculation they might drop it.

I think when Pentax does release a new DSLR it will probably be a completely new camera from the ground up, and that will take time - especially if they dumped old Hoya R&D designs (which we might end-up being grateful for).
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
DXO disagrees, it rates the 24MP sensor higher than the 16MP one (compare NEX5n vs NEX7 which is a like for like). DXO are AFAIK the only credible source when it comes to comparing sensors. The only reason the 16MP in the K-5 is rated higher than the 24MP NEX7 is the ISO80 of the K-5.
Fine! Check it out: dx0mark comparison of Pentax K-5, Sony A77, and NEX-7

The k-5 beats the a-77 by a country mile. Compared to the NEX-7 it beats it by .7 EV on dynamic range and is 10% better in relative ISO.

The upcoming Sony A99 full frame may seduce Pentax owners, (the first Sony 14 bit) but the same sensor is the one rumored to be in the Pentax full frame, but Sony is stipulating the A99 have 6 month's lead time before Pentax can use the sensor. I suspect that Pentax engineers will do more with the sensor than Sony's engineers ( as they did with the sensor in the k-x and k-5). Pentax is ahead of Sony by 24 months or more, in that department.