Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Facebook says K-5II will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently avail

"The new Auto Focus system is a complete revamp. The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently available, meaning that it will focus from -3EV to +18EV."

"Florian The new auto focus system is a huge improvement. Additionally, there is a new scratch resistant, glass covered LCD, with what is called air-gap free technology. To simplify, the glass cover is bonded to the LCD panel to give brighter, clearer images. This may not sound like much, but many photographers spend more time reviewing images on the LCD than shooting."

Last edited by LeDave; 09-10-2012 at 04:29 PM.
09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If this is true, then all my dreams have ever came true. I will need to upgrade my K-5 to a K-5 II asap!
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I think that's a typo, should have been "The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of points in any DSLR currently available"
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Pentax k-5II -3 to 18Ev

Canon 60d -0.5 to 18Ev
Canon 7D -0.5 to 18Ev
Canon 5D mk3 -2 to + 18 Ev
Canon 1D Mark 4 -1 to 18Ev
Nikon D7000 -1 to 19Ev
Nikon D800 -2 to 19 EV
Nikon D4 -1 to 19Ev

09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
Pentax k-5II -3 to 18Ev

Canon 60d -0.5 to 18Ev
Canon 7D -0.5 to 18Ev
Canon 5D mk3 -2 to + 18 Ev
Canon 1D Mark 4 -1 to 18Ev
Nikon D7000 -1 to 19Ev
Nikon D800 -2 to 19 EV
Nikon D4 -1 to 19Ev
So technically the D800 is equal!

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think that's a typo, should have been "The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of points in any DSLR currently available"
I cracked up pretty hard at this
09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 55-300 will AF-C and (AF-track) in poor light, that is worth couple hundred bucks right there.
09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
it will focus from -3EV to +18EV
That's the first thing that caught my eyes and i just said "wow...really?!?"

09-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
So technically the D800 is equal!
technically yes... but that Ev in low light is much more useful than an Ev more on the bright side
because it happens a lot more often to shoot in very low light rather than shoot in dazzling light
09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
"The new Auto Focus system is a complete revamp. The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently available, meaning that it will focus from -3EV to +18EV."
I'd be more impressed by this claim if my classic K-5 came anywhere close to its claimed spec of focusing down to -1EV.

Using an f/2.8 lens, I can focus accurately down to about +3EV, then it starts to focus on who-knows-what somewhere in the air in front of the actual subject.

I will wait for comprehensive testing by someone who knows what to look for.
09-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More coming from Pentax Facebook's comments about the new announcements. Explains why they kept the 16MP sensor over the 24MP. They ARE really looking at specs and they rather take AF over FF because more people have complained about AF longer than wanting FF.

"Jonathan Massey Based on some of the comparisons we have seen between current 16MP and 24MP sensors (for example ISO Torture Test: Sony A77 vs Pentax K-5) the 16MP sensor seems like a good choice. It is still the top rated APS-c sized sensor of all time by Dxo."
09-10-2012, 05:03 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My humble theory is that as great as the the high sensitivity of the new AF system might be, the following things make it less impressive that it sounds:
  • We still only have 11 AF points, which means that action shooting will still not be nearly as smooth as on cameras where the VF is decked with points
  • At -3EV there is pretty much no light at all, meaning that AF readings might be unreliable even if the new system is able to operate in those conditions
  • Lens focusing speed remains a constant, meaning that the only way this new AF could be faster is if it significantly reduced focusing latency (not likely given that the camera is till running the 4-year-old prime II)
  • Metering won't properly work at negative EVs (AE sensitivity: 0-22EV)
  • It's been my experience that thanks to the AF assist light, the old K-5 does a very good job of focusing accurately in low light (or no light)
I sincerely hope that Pentax is working on another body, and that it will have more AF points. Having pro-grade features in an affordable APS-C body is the only way I think Pentax is going to be able to remain competitive if they plan on sticking to APS-C rather than full-frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
More coming from Pentax Facebook's comments about the new announcements. Explains why they kept the 16MP sensor over the 24MP.

"Jonathan Massey Based on some of the comparisons we have seen between current 16MP and 24MP sensors (for example ISO Torture Test: Sony A77 vs Pentax K-5) the 16MP sensor seems like a good choice. It is still the top rated APS-c sized sensor of all time by Dxo."
DXO disagrees, it rates the 24MP sensor higher than the 16MP one (compare NEX5n vs NEX7 which is a like for like). DXO are AFAIK the only credible source when it comes to comparing sensors. The only reason the 16MP in the K-5 is rated higher than the 24MP NEX7 is the ISO80 of the K-5.
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Even if there is a FF body on the horizon, a large percentage will stick with APS-C for quite a while. Well, they will do so if the capabilities are up to scratch. If not, then it's shopping all over again for those of us with a lot of APS-C glass. And that particularly includes the recent K-X/K-r/K-30 buyers who have added, at most, a few pieces of consumer glass. Getting them to move to FF is not likely. And the chance of moving to FF without checking again into Nikon and Canon is nil.

FF is no substitute for a well-featured APS-C body in the next few years.
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My humble theory is that as great as the the high sensitivity of the new AF system might be, the following things make it less impressive that it sounds:
[*]At -3EV there is pretty much no light at all, meaning that AF readings might be unreliable even if the new system is able to operate in those conditions
Maybe the AF lamp will assist at -3EV and that the lamp will actually DO WORK this time! Maybe the light will be white/yellow instead of green too =P?
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
  • We still only have 11 AF points, which means that action shooting will still not be nearly as smooth as on cameras where the VF is decked with points
  • At -3EV there is pretty much no light at all, meaning that AF readings might be unreliable even if the new system is able to operate in those conditions
  • Lens focusing speed remains a constant, meaning that the only way this new AF could be faster is if it significantly reduced focusing latency (not likely given that the camera is till running the 4-year-old prime II)
  • Metering won't properly work at negative EVs (AE sensitivity: 0-22EV)
  • It's been my experience that thanks to the AF assist light, the old K-5 does a very good job of focusing accurately in low light (or no light)
I sincerely hope that Pentax is working on another body, and that it will have more AF points. Having pro-grade features in an affordable APS-C body is the only way I think Pentax is going to be able to remain competitive if they plan on sticking to APS-C rather than full-frame.
Adam, I'm glad that you are saying this. You echo my own thoughts, but have much more cred on the forum. I'll wait until Photokina, but if this is all I see and if Nikon really does release a D600, I'm probably jumping to Nikon. Sony is the other possibility. They seem to have the most aggressive R&D right now.