Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #106
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I agree that the new model should have had an auto focus system like any of the lower Pro models in Canon or Nikon. Drop in something like the 7D has since they were originally in the same price range and you would have a winner. All the "MARKETING" BS camera companies throw out there for people to just take as gospel is rubbish. Real world experience in any situation is the way to see if the 11 point not so great AF is "Good Enough" . . . sounds so much the the digital trend motto . . . Oh well it's good enough I'll fix it later in Photoshop mentality . . . . Hey who needs a fast and accurate AF system right? . . . . . It pretty much looks like they just made a few changes to the original K5 and are still using the same marketing hype . . . weather sealed and advanced AF system . . . what's so advanced in it? Take a look at this and see just how rugged a Canon 7D is and with the current rebates, it's worth the money for the features it has . . . not to be so down on the K5II but lets get real.

09-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am happy with my K5, but I'm not super advanced technically..................I use the center spot focusing almost all the time and it seems to work well.

Can someone explain the advantage of the 11 focus points and why I should be using them? Or what "improved AF" will give me?

Dave
09-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
"The new Auto Focus system is a complete revamp. The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently available, meaning that it will focus from -3EV to +18EV."

"Florian The new auto focus system is a huge improvement. Additionally, there is a new scratch resistant, glass covered LCD, with what is called air-gap free technology. To simplify, the glass cover is bonded to the LCD panel to give brighter, clearer images. This may not sound like much, but many photographers spend more time reviewing images on the LCD than shooting."
Just like the K5 had excellent AF...
Sorry Pentax, this product need to be digested by many people for at least half a year beofer I consider buying one - unless I have already moved away from this company.
09-11-2012, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Somehow I believe Pentax AF will kick ass this time. It was the same beginning with loudest shutter sound and now being the quietest, then being noisier than competitors and now being better than them, so it might go well with AF this time too...

09-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Sure . Pay close attention to the right arm here - its flat. Greyish. Worse, pay attention to the edges of the highlights around that right arm. Image came straight out of camera. Exif is on the flickr site
Interesting...I haven't noticed that kind of behavior. Best guess is the sensor tried to keep the red channel from blowing out so it cut it back, but then her left arm should be gray instead of her right arm.
Exposure looks ok too (though I expected the sky not to be blown out so badly given how the D800 is supposed to have great DR), so it's puzzling.
09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
But if Pentax wants to keep their pro shooters they need to offer more than an upgraded (by one feature) two year old camera as a flagship.
How long did Nikon and Canon keep the D700 and 5D2 in production? About 4 years.
I'm not even sure whether production of either has stopped yet.

So a lot of pro shooters manage to survive without feeling like they have somehow failed if they don't upgrade their gear after every Photokina.
09-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So a lot of pro shooters manage to survive without feeling like they have somehow failed if they don't upgrade their gear after every Photokina.
Exactly. All those who shoot "normal stuff" without having to earn money doing so and still feel like they're about to die over Pentax releasing only this update (so far) -- have a look at this video:
Final pictures here: Zack Arias PPCC shoot - DigitalRev

But for those who shoot on the edge are truly limited by their equipment, well... things just got better .

09-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #113

+1

And for what it's worth (not much, I know ), I know more pro photographers who use APS-C than FF cameras, and at the only wedding I have been to where the tog had only FF bodies, the happy couple preferred the pictures I took with my K-7.

I'm not going to pretend I wasn't hoping for an all-new hyper camera to blow the competition out of the water, but realistically the K-5 is still the best APS-C camera out there and it just got better.
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
I don't know any light meter that goes beyond -2EV (Sekonic L758), so finding a setting that's exactly -3EV will be a bit difficult.
Good point. I used my K-5 in very dim light, roughly EV -3 I think, and the K-5 underexposed by 4 steps or so. Has anyone seen the specs for the metering of the new K-5 II? It would of course be useful if it could meter the light all down to EV -3 as well...
09-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Is there any reports from beta testers about the new AF?
09-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #116
Veteran Member

How long did Nikon and Canon keep the D700 and 5D2 in production? About 4 years.
I'm not even sure whether production of either has stopped yet.

The D700 and the 5D2 were in production for about 4 years, but the fact that their replacements are here and they out perform the K5 and will certainly out perform the K5II is what is making the difference. And yes, both have been discontinued.

We are talking about cameras that are in entirely different classes. All I am saying is that Pentax needs to keep their pros and serious amateurs and to do that, I really do believe that they need to offer up a serious pro level choice in the first half of 2013. It doesn't have to be FF, but the specs of the K5II do not match the specs of what we are seeing as a "pro" aps-c from the others. I am sure that non K5 owners are thrilled with this upgrade and I think it is a good middle camera, but it doesn't cut it as a true flagship going into 2013.
09-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Not looking for a full frame, thou that would be nice, I'd have expected something more of a upgrade. Focus speed is nice, new screen technology for better reviewing is nice, other then that thou... I guess it depends on the IIs and if not having the filter makes a difference. What are the cons of not having the filter on there?
09-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #118
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Can anyone explain to me what -3EV actually is? I mean, I know about relative light intensity, in that doubling the amount of light is a 1 stop increase, but this seems to be an absolute scale, and I have no idea what it means.
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Can anyone explain to me what -3EV actually is? I mean, I know about relative light intensity, in that doubling the amount of light is a 1 stop increase, but this seems to be an absolute scale, and I have no idea what it means.
Wikipedia to the rescue:
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I'm curious of how many people posting in this thread are making their livings and paying their bills strictly with photography shooting with a Pentax.

I also wonder how many of them are happy with these announcements.