Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Not looking for a full frame, thou that would be nice, I'd have expected something more of a upgrade. Focus speed is nice, new screen technology for better reviewing is nice, other then that thou... I guess it depends on the IIs and if not having the filter makes a difference. What are the cons of not having the filter on there?

Careful of misconception
I think the focus speed is implied, but not advertised. The enhancement in autofocus is that it'd be able to focus in the dark - but not faster, or more spot on.

Here is the issue with lower number of focus points, that I see :
x = focus point.
= Subject.

K5:

...........x.........x...........x

x..........x.........x ......x..........x

...........x..........x...........x

Conclusion : Missed the subject by a hair.

Other Pro camera : (Exaggerated diagram)

...........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
......xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
......xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
...........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So rather than doing R&D in darker and darker environment...I rather have pentax double their number of points. Sure it will focus on one of the 11 points...hopefully that point is hitting the eye of your subject as opposed to their nose.

09-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
The D700 and the 5D2 were in production for about 4 years, but the fact that their replacements are here and they out perform the K5 and will certainly out perform the K5II is what is making the difference. And yes, both have been discontinued.

We are talking about cameras that are in entirely different classes. All I am saying is that Pentax needs to keep their pros and serious amateurs and to do that....
+1

I think, being happy with the current situation gives no incentives for Pentax to try and do better.
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
How long did Nikon and Canon keep the D700 and 5D2
if the new Pentax AF only keep up to the grandpa D200 (or even F85, F100) i'd be happy.....
09-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #124
Veteran Member

the specs of the K5II do not match the specs of what we are seeing as a "pro" aps-c from the others.
Agree that FF and APS-C are probably a different conversation. But disagree re 'pro' APS-C.

The only spec where Pentax APS-C (arguably) falls behind it's APS-C equivalents (the 7D and the D7000) is some specific features of AF - tracking, number of AF points, AF mode options.

As for the rest - body, buffer, fps, DR, low-light etc - there is not much between the three according to all their specs and DxOs (and that is being very generous to Canon...).

Of course then there is the issue of different brands' accessory ecosystems (lenses, flashes etc) but that is not strictly a body issue.

09-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-5 assist light no good. It always does not light up when it needs it. I do not know under what situation it will light up.
but I try my friend d7000. that assist light is very good. first it is brighter, and It light up every time when the lighting condition is not good.
and about canon 7d. It does not even has assist light. but we all know how good that 7d can focus in low light situation...
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
k-5 assist light no good.
I never use my K-5 AF assist light... ever.

And technically the 7D's AF is rated for -0.5 - 18 EV, whereas even the K-5 Classic goes to -1 to 18 EV. Lots of 7D users also find the 7D's AF performs very poorly in low-light.

It's easy to mythologize other brands. But every camera has issues.
09-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
If it's the flagship, it should be the flagship. It should not have less video features than the K-01/K-30. It should have focus peaking. Did time stop for the K-5 in 2010?

The last time I looked my K-5 does not say nowhere on it that it is a video camera I would rather have my camera to be the best at one thing than mediocre in two. Every review I have seen of the Canon cameras which are considered to be the best right now in the video department still say it is best to use manual focus because the AF will not keep up with the action. I am in the camp of not caring if video is even a option I would rather have a great still camera and buy a dedicated video camera.

09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agree that FF and APS-C are probably a different conversation. But disagree re 'pro' APS-C.

Of course then there is the issue of different brands' accessory ecosystems (lenses, flashes etc) but that is not strictly a body issue.
Maybe it is that I do look at the entire system. I have to say, I love the body style with grip of the K5 and I don't want to lose that, but there are some other things that I want in a pro-level aps-c. There are known flash issues, even with the 540, and the K5 and I don't know that they have address that issue in the K5II. Also, they really should have a dual SD slots. I have had a card fail and dual slots is a simple thing, but it would mean a lot to my piece of mind. Perhaps it is just that if I was going to do another release of a 2-year-old camera I would have done more than one upgrade...especially when there is the K30. An updated flash system would go a long way for Pentax too.
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I am sorry - I don't mean to whine, but this release was disappointing. Do I want better AF? Yes, but I think that they honestly have to have more (and smaller) AF points to really improve the whole AF system. Can the II focus in near dark conditions? Maybe, but it means nothing if it focuses on the wrong thing because of the huge AF point.

And look, I do believe that it is unrealistic for a FF release this Photokina. Totally too soon...but they need to give their high end/pro users some indication that a true flagship is coming. Just let me know it is coming! The K5 was a great flagship TWO YEARS AGO. I could justify not going FF two years ago...but now I have wedding guests showing up with FF cameras...a D600 at $2000 will only make that worse. They ask me if I am shooting FF...hell, savvy clients ask me. I DESPERATELY want to be loyal to Pentax, but I cannot stay with them if they are going to stop trying to be competitive and are giving in to be completely irrelevant. And maybe they could stay relevant with an aps-c, but it needs to blow away everyone else's offerings and the K5 II is just not going to do it.

And what about that 560 lens? It is great that they released it, but what camera do they want people to put it on? Not to mention the chunk of change that it is bound to cost! yeah, there will be a few on here, but I think some of the people who could afford it would want a really high end camera to put it on.

I am with Pentax through the fall. I am not changing cameras in the middle of wedding season. I also have to watch the whole tax thing, so I have until next March before I seriously consider what I am going to do...but if those new FF cams from Nikon or Sony do play out, it might be hard to stay. I love my FA limiteds...they will make this decision terrible! I just hope that Pentax can let us know that a K3 is coming sometime in the next 6 months so I can stay.
You need to send that letter to someone at Pentax. Maybe you will get a reply..
09-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
"The new Auto Focus system is a complete revamp. The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently available, meaning that it will focus from -3EV to +18EV."

"Florian The new auto focus system is a huge improvement. Additionally, there is a new scratch resistant, glass covered LCD, with what is called air-gap free technology. To simplify, the glass cover is bonded to the LCD panel to give brighter, clearer images. This may not sound like much, but many photographers spend more time reviewing images on the LCD than shooting."
How do you find -3 to 18EV? I looked my K-7 but can't find it. Where do you get it in camera's setting or whatever?
09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #131
Veteran Member

how?

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
"The new Auto Focus system is a complete revamp. The K-5 will boast the widest AF range of any DSLR currently available, meaning that it will focus from -3EV to +18EV."

"Florian The new auto focus system is a huge improvement. Additionally, there is a new scratch resistant, glass covered LCD, with what is called air-gap free technology. To simplify, the glass cover is bonded to the LCD panel to give brighter, clearer images. This may not sound like much, but many photographers spend more time reviewing images on the LCD than shooting."
How do you find -3 to 18EV? I looked my K-7 but can't find it. Where do you get it in camera's setting or whatever?
09-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The last time I looked my K-5 does not say nowhere on it that it is a video camera I would rather have my camera to be the best at one thing than mediocre in two. Every review I have seen of the Canon cameras which are considered to be the best right now in the video department still say it is best to use manual focus because the AF will not keep up with the action. I am in the camp of not caring if video is even a option I would rather have a great still camera and buy a dedicated video camera.
I do have a dedicated video camera, however, I want to take advantage of the unique look and feel of the digital camera when shooting video. it's kind of frustrating that the K-01/K-30 has Full HD video and the K-5 doesn't.
In 2010, the K-5 HD video was acceptable. 25/24 fps was acceptable. 2 years later and it's still HD at 25 fps.

In my view, a flagship product should represent the best the company has to offer. It should showcase their innovation, their direction, their commitment. I don't see that in the refreshed K-5 II/IIs.
Obviously we haven't had the opportunities to test the actual product so all we have to go on are specifications published by the manufacturer currently.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable and were expecting focus peaking and better video, in addition to the better AF. Notice I wasn't expecting Prime M. As long as the camera delivers, I don't care what cpu they put into it.
09-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
The EV scale is a measure of light. Think of the temperature range a camera can operate in--the EV range is analogous.

Edit: Someone posted a Wikipedia link to the article on EV earlier in this thread.
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Every review I have seen of the Canon cameras which are considered to be the best right now in the video department still say it is best to use manual focus because the AF will not keep up with the action
People who are using a DSLR as a camcorder are always going to be disappointed.
You use manual focus w/ DSLR cinematic photography for control w/ a focus puller attachment. It's all the work/parts you need to get good results (like tripods w/ landscape photos or studio strobes w/ indoor studio photography)...

I think what people are griping about is that the K-30 has more video features than the K-5II which seems pretty odd to me...
09-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #135
Veteran Member

One think I do find frustrating is the slow write speed of the K-5, it takes an age to clear the buffer. Prime II is the problem here, and these new cameras will have the same problem as the K-5.