Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #181

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know it is early but can anyone explain the difference between the AA filter being removed and the new K-5 II? I understand it filter is removed int he K-5 IIs which gives it greater resolution. What are the costs for doing this? I have read it is for controlled lighting like in a studio. Will this be a good all around outside, indoors camera? I am guessing no and tha tthe K-5 II is the better choice for all around photography. I use my K-r for real estate photography and I an often in complicated lighting indoors and outdoors. I am planing on buying one of these cameras in October. Wish Pentax had a FF like the Nikon 600D or the Sony 99 that was just announced. Both body only cameras are aounnd $2100. I really can't afford the lenses to go with it so I will be going with the C processor Pentax.
Thanks for any clarity on the two different K-5 II cameras.

Racerdew

09-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That wedding photog story is too common.

One of the 'hot' wedding photogs in my area only picked up a camera for the first time in 2009, and now has a full order book. She doesn't even have a flash...
Ouch. I know too many of those wedding stories to add one by myself.
I was asked multiple times to do this kind of job I always refused.
I have no experience in this and I shall not let someone pay for my inexperience.

I should practice though..
09-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #183

One of the 'hot' wedding photogs in my area only picked up a camera for the first time in 2009, and now has a full order book. She doesn't even have a flash...
Whereas my Sister and Brother-in-Law are extremely talented artists and photographers and have been for years, and they are struggling to survive in the Wedding market because everyone knows a 'guy with a camera' who they would rather go with because it's cheap. It's the one downside of the sudden prevalence of dslrs - to the layman, anyone toting one looks like a pro and can effectively pretend to be one.
09-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes I know. I am a "wedding pro", although not in a photography meaning. I work at a place wher you can marry for the law (and occiasioanlly for church too..), So I see about 40-70 weddings a year, from quick and simple (in and out, just the ceremony) to "over the top". And every wedding I see photographers.... So many, soo different.
For a year or two I had a project, shooting the shooter at each wedding, pro or non-pro.
Now I stopped, now I only shoot when there is something interesting.
Janneman's weddingshooters gallery.
I have one wedding as a stand in, the bride was in tears as there was no shooter, the hired pro had made a mistake.

Oh, forgot the one in Poland, but I did that for fun.... Don't remember too much of that one...

09-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #185
Veteran Member

K5II/s gets a bit of it's thunder stolen

by Canons new 6D FF DSLR which also happens to have -3 EV sensitive AF system too, but only a 97% viewfinder, and get this, only 1 cross point AF sensor, the center one - how's that for a poor boy? Man, Nikon is way ahead of Canon with their new 600D. If Canon doesn't undercut their price quite a bit, they're going to lose some business.

So Pentax can toot their horn as K5II/s being most AF sensitive APS-C sensor camera.

Last edited by solar1; 09-17-2012 at 08:22 AM.
09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Yes, looking at the 6D compared to the K-5 got me asking: who said FF was an upgrade?
09-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Yeah, but are those focus points as big as Pentax's?

*snickers*

I really want to see tests of the Pentax system - if it blows the 6D's away, that'll be depressing for Canon users.
"Hey, we got 11 points too. And -3EV. And 9 cross type. Booyaaaa~"

And then 7D users will laugh at us, but that's a different story.

Last edited by JinDesu; 09-17-2012 at 08:28 AM.
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
by Canons new 6D FF DSLR which also happens to have -3 EV sensitive AF system too, but only a 97% viewfinder, and get this, only 1 cross point AF sensor, the center one - how's that for a poor boy? Man, Nikon is way ahead with their new 600D. If Canon doesn't undercut the price quite a bit, they're going to lose some business.

So Pentax can toot their horn as K5II/s being most AF sensitive APS-C sensor camera.
Canon has way, way more entry level buyers than Nikon. That means the have more people with Canon glass looking to move up. They don't have to offer as robust a feature set as Nikon does to attract buyers. The 6D will sell very well to this segment. The 6D will also sell very well to the aspiring wedding photographer who wants a 5DIII one day, but will start with the 6D to get their foot in the door and upgrade later. Canon still dominates the wedding/portrait segment.

The D600 and Canon 6D are both targeting existing customers as move up bodies. There are very few customers who have never owned a DSLR who will pick up either camera as a first body. Nikon's D600 will attract a lot of Pentax and Sony move up buyers because of the feature set.
09-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon has way, way more entry level buyers than Nikon. That means the have more people with Canon glass looking to move up.
Isn't most of that glass EF-S glass anyway - so not usable on the 6D?
09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Isnt that the same with Nikon?
09-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Yeah, but are those focus points as big as Pentax's?

*snickers*

I really want to see tests of the Pentax system - if it blows the 6D's away, that'll be depressing for Canon users.
"Hey, we got 11 points too. And -3EV. And 9 cross type. Booyaaaa~"

And then 7D users will laugh at us, but that's a different story.
They will also laugh at the FF wannahaves with the 6D. 7D users are saving for the 5DMkV.
by the way what is bad about big focus points? I mean for years we had the rant of more pixels on a sensor mean smaller pixels means less sensitive pixels..Are focus points different?
09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
Whereas my Sister and Brother-in-Law are extremely talented artists and photographers and have been for years, and they are struggling to survive in the Wedding market because everyone knows a 'guy with a camera' who they would rather go with because it's cheap. It's the one downside of the sudden prevalence of dslrs - to the layman, anyone toting one looks like a pro and can effectively pretend to be one.
I know of two wedding photographers who are having excellent years. Both are in the $3,000-$4,000 range and both have been booked steady all year. The business is 30% talent and 70% business skills.

Having a "friend with a camera who will work for cheap" has been the story since the beginning of photography. Even in the film days this was the case. Nothing has changed. It has gotten easier with digital, but those people have always been in the market. Looking for experience, or looking to build a portfolio, or friend of the family.

I started in college as a "friend of the band". I traveled with the band on road trips. Slept in the van on many nights. Met lots of people in the industry at some big venues and made lots of contacts. Ended up working with a lot of different bands and artists (many for cheap). They were broke musicians and I was a broke photographer. Now some of them are wealthy musicians and I am a half broke photographer.
09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes. EF-S is incompatible with the 6D, but EF-S is only available is certain lenses. A lot of entry level Canon bodies are sporting Sigma or Tamron glass that is FF compatible. 3rd party lenses are very popular among the entry level - move-up crowd. People starting with Canon will probably stick with Canon as "that's what the pro's use". Canon has established this as part of the brand. They don't have to offer people the same robust feature set as other companies to attract buyers. That is why I left Canon. Branding is a powerful tool.
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
They will also laugh at the FF wannahaves with the 6D. 7D users are saving for the 5DMkV.
by the way what is bad about big focus points? I mean for years we had the rant of more pixels on a sensor mean smaller pixels means less sensitive pixels..Are focus points different?
Yes - it's somewhat different.

Big focus points means the focus point is looking for contrast over a larger area. This is problematic, as a larger area means there are more things to confuse the AF system.

For example - let's say I want to focus a bird. If the bird is smaller than the AF point, then the camera might look at something else besides the bird - say a branch. So a smaller AF point allows for more accurate focus - as long as there is also enough AF points to cover the image.

So having small AF points = more accurate focus, and having more of these small AF points = coverage.
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Overexposed scenes withbacklit subjects don't usually result in very good image fidelity.
Ya....but I love those flares so much. I am having problem inducing them with this setup. I have no other lens, so I can't even tell whats wrong. Maybe 70-200 VR2 anti flare super duper multi coated extra layered lens is my issue. I need to get a cheap lens so I can get proper flare and not destroy skin colour too much.