Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The Pentax community has about the highest percentage of legacy glass manual focus users. Personally, I even prefer manual focussing my AF lenses. And I know that I'm not the only one. So it's only right that this -3ev AF doesn't raise any eyebrows. We all realise that whilst the AF mechanism might work at -3ev, manual focus will be more accurate.

Current Pentax K5 owners still have no real upgrade path within the Pentax brand. Pentax should give them one VERY soon.
A small but very loud minority. I've said that before.

09-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I agree 110% with that.. In fact such a lens is more necessary than this 560 monsters. Although I will be quite happy with just a DFA 31/1.8 LE AW or DFA*24/2.0 AW
There's a DA* on the roadmap, which perhaps will be the answer to that, but that's for next year and depending on market demand or something...

btw, I thought before that the Prime M was meant for Movie too... I guess the only road for the model after the K-5 II and IIs will be a Prime III - because by then, the Prime II would have been too slow. I have to thank Kunzite for the wakeup call regarding Prime II and Prime M.
09-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #48

I would say Pentax were developing the k3 and realised what a dog of sensor the Sony 24mp is and realised that the image quality would be well below the K5 so decided to put the improvements they had developed into an improved K5 instead while they wait for a decent sensor. Either that or they scrapped the K3 altogether OR they have intended it to be a full frame camera all along with a 24mp full frame sensor and so maybe that has caused some confusion.
09-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
I would say Pentax were developing the k3 and realised what a dog of sensor the Sony 24mp is and realised that the image quality would be well below the K5 so decided to put the improvements they had developed into an improved K5 instead while they wait for a decent sensor.
All due respect but this nonsense. The DxOMark results for the NEX-7 show that the Sony 24MP sensor is as least as good as the 16MP version in the K-5 (one minute difference being that Pentax implemented ISO 80 and hence gained an DR advantage).

The K-3 will come soon (as an APS-C camera with more than 11 AF points and an articulated screen) and hopefully will be announced at Photokina 2012 already.

09-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
All due respect but this nonsense. The DxoMark results for the NED-7 show that the Sony 24MP sensor is as least as good as the 16MP version in the K-5 (one minute difference being that Pentax implementEd ISO 80 and hence gained an DR advantage).

The K-3 will come soon (as an APS-C camera) and hopefully will be announced at Photokina 2012 already.
The NED-7? Is that a new Leica model?

Seriously, also real world results from the NEX-7 shows that it's a great sensor. My daughter owns the NEX-7 and I think it produces very lovely colors at lower isos, and the ISO 6400 results are quite good!
09-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
All due respect but this nonsense. The DxOMark results for the NEX-7 show that the Sony 24MP sensor is as least as good as the 16MP version in the K-5 (one minute difference being that Pentax implemented ISO 80 and hence gained an DR advantage).
True, and there's no reason why Pentax can't squeeze out more of this 23mp sensor then the other brands, just like they did with the 16mp sensor.
09-11-2012, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The NED-7? Is that a new Leica model?
The NED-7 is either
  • the Ned Bunnell version of the NEX-7 that costs twice as much but he swears he didn't raise the price, or
  • the result of using a mobile phone to write a post.

Last edited by Class A; 09-11-2012 at 04:39 AM.
09-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Precisely. On this basis focus peaking should have been the bare minimum to be aimed for. It's an odd choice not to use the Prime M and sensor combo from the K-30 unless you're under exceptional restrictions. Even if the K-3 is coming it's an odd choice.
I agree with the spirit of your post. I wonder if Prime M only has a 12bit/channel pipeline, and since the K-5 has been 14 bit/channel, they couldn't use it? I personally would be forced to pick the K-30 over the K-5ii for lack of focus peaking and h.264.

09-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm thinking 'K3' whatever it is will be delayed till early next year- the quick 'improved' K5 is more to keep value in the K5 market- perhaps with a price drop in the K30 .
09-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think M stands for Movie. This processor might not support 14 bit RAW - it would be silly to replace the K-5 with a camera with 1 EV lower DR.
Good point, I would take the the 14bit over the video anyday. Which is why the K-01 and the K5 make such a neat pair.
09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #56
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I'm thinking 'K3' whatever it is will be delayed till early next year- the quick 'improved' K5 is more to keep value in the K5 market- perhaps with a price drop in the K30 .
Yes, and at the same time I think it's the new Pentax actually listening to people, a K5 with improved AF, isn't that what a lot of peeps here on PF has been crying about for quite some time?

Now you've got it!!

09-11-2012, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Pentax should know better, than listening to us!
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I don't find any of this year's Photokina Pentax announcements so far very interesting. But that is just my personal opinion. But I have a feeling we haven't seen everything yet. A certain poster on a certain forum (not RH or ogl) AFAIK works for a major camera retailer and he usually knows what's coming. And from his hints and posts I have gathered that there will be another DSLR announced, the rumored 24 mpix APS-C model. Not my cup of tea either, but some might see it differently.

EDIT: Read some more recent posts. Don't know, perhaps this was it after all.

Last edited by Raffwal; 09-11-2012 at 11:38 AM.
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
And from his hints and posts I have gathered that there will be another DSLR announced, the rumored 24 mpix APS-C model. Not my cup of tea either, but some might see it differently.
I hope your right. It would be very foolish not to give current discontinued K5 owners an upgrade-path.
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I will laugh if we never see a camera named K-3. I can see Pentax releasing a true K5 successor and naming it something completley different, like D-MX or whatever..and not using K-3 just to play with our heads based on the April fool's joke.