Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
All due respect but this nonsense. The DxOMark results for the NEX-7 show that the Sony 24MP sensor is as least as good as the 16MP version in the K-5 (one minute difference being that Pentax implemented ISO 80 and hence gained an DR advantage).

The K-3 will come soon (as an APS-C camera with more than 11 AF points and an articulated screen) and hopefully will be announced at Photokina 2012 already.
This will be great news. I really don't think it wii be announced until CP+. Might even get the new DA*16-85 or whatever it ends uo being got the kit lens. Pentax usually announce the big exciting stuff at CP+

Dave

09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I agree with the spirit of your post. I wonder if Prime M only has a 12bit/channel pipeline, and since the K-5 has been 14 bit/channel, they couldn't use it? I personally would be forced to pick the K-30 over the K-5ii for lack of focus peaking and h.264.
its not a clear cut choice since the K5 II has -3ev sensitivity, f2.8 capability, which exceeds the K30. I would have preferred that the k5 ii have both the new low light capability AND focus peaking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
... But I have a feeling we haven't seen everything yet. A certain poster on a certain forum (not RH or ogl) AFAIK works for a major camera retailer and he usually knows what's coming. And from his hints and posts I have gathered that there will be another DSLR announced, the rumored 24 mpix APS-C model. Not my cup of tea either, but some might see it differently.
I get the same feeling - i think they skimped a bit on the k5 II to keep the price low, but drilled in new AF as an enticement. Then they spent the saved engineering hours on the new K3, 24mp model. Either that or they will announce a full frame at Photokina.

I think keeping the price low on the K5 II was brilliant - its top of the aps class, why not keep it going. I was always worried that if my k5 met some catastrophic end, i wouldn't be able to get something as good - now i have that backup option.
09-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
its not a clear cut choice since the K5 II has -3ev sensitivity, f2.8 capability, which exceeds the K30. I would have preferred that the k5 ii have both the new low light capability AND focus peaking.

I get the same feeling - i think they skimped a bit on the k5 II to keep the price low, but drilled in new AF as an enticement. Then they spent the saved engineering hours on the new K3, 24mp model. Either that or they will announce a full frame at Photokina.

I think keeping the price low on the K5 II was brilliant - its top of the aps class, why not keep it going. I was always worried that if my k5 met some catastrophic end, i wouldn't be able to get something as good - now i have that backup option.

Yes, it is really nice to know thqat if your K5 met a catastrophic end that you can buy the K5II. The K5II sounds like a really good camera. The introductory price seems to be really good. Yes, I wish there was a little bit more updating to it but if it kept the cost lower and give more R&D resources to the upcoming K3 then all good. I have two K5 cameras so I really don't think I will upgrade. Still nice to know that I could if I want.

Dave
09-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 is still listed on this chinese website as 24Mp APSC :
http://product.pchome.net/digital_dc/list_1_103_265_pr_pm_o3_m1_p1.html

So, maybe...

09-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The K-3 will come soon (as an APS-C camera with more than 11 AF points and an articulated screen) and hopefully will be announced at Photokina 2012 already.
I sure hope you are right. I must have an articulated screen on my next dSLR for several reasons, and if Pentax doesn't offer one this year, I have no choice but to emigrate to a camera maker that makes one. This spring I bought a Canon G1X because of its articulated screen and sensor, and I can't begin to tell you how useful that screen is, even if all you shoot is stills.
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #66
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
The K-3 is still listed on this chinese website as 24Mp APSC :
http://product.pchome.net/digital_dc/list_1_103_265_pr_pm_o3_m1_p1.html

So, maybe...
It's listed at several Chinese sites
09-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's listed at several Chinese sites
Oh boy...

09-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #68
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
I must have an articulated screen on my next dSLR for several reasons, and if Pentax doesn't offer one this year, I have no choice but to emigrate to a camera maker that makes one
Looks like you'll have to do so. Doesn't look promising, thankfully.
09-11-2012, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #69
Inactive Account

this topic should be moved to the " Political and Religious Discussion" subforum
09-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #70
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Personally I think an announcement will come in a few days.
When Ricoh took over I read there share holder reports. They cannot afford to fail. If they announce on the 18th. It will shock everyone and pull the rabbit out of the hat. If not? I'm not sure what will happen. But the way I read it, it ain't going to be pretty.
Time will tell. But since I have a bundle tied up in glass. I think a candle light prayer is in order... LOL

Last edited by garyk; 09-11-2012 at 11:55 PM.
09-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 maybe a full frame compact dslr, just waiting for its time to shine. The rumour months ago that it will be using a ff sensor from Sony might be true, revealing a full frame pentax after the anouncement of the Sony full frame compact which it's now officially announced.
Here's a preview of the Sony RX1 compact full frame camera, and that really is a very compact one for a full frame!
Sony RX1 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by richard balonglong; 09-12-2012 at 12:21 AM.
09-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #72
Pentaxian

The new Sony fullframe was just announced. If it really has the same sensors as the Pentax, it makes sense that Pentax announces AFTER Sony. This could take a couple more months though.
09-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The new Sony fullframe was just announced. If it really has the same sensors as the Pentax, it makes sense that Pentax announces AFTER Sony. This could take a couple more months though.
I wouldn't expect anything from Pentax about a FF camera officially / overtly until the spring. I think an optimistic scenario might be:

1). Unlabelled prototype body under glass at Photokina. Maybe alongside the MZ-D prototype for an unsubtle indication it's FF
2). Official announcement of the development of a FF camera at CP+ or maybe even a stand alone announcement sometime afterwards
3). Availability towards spring/summer 2013.

In the meantime I do expect a higher than K-5II APS-C camera.
09-12-2012, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
If the K-3 (or what ever successor) would have been ready for the market, they wouldn't had to pull out a K5II.
I can well imaging a meeting at Pentax HQ in July:

Boss: MITUMI, will that f***ing K-3 be weady for photokina?
Engineer Mitumi: Sowy Boss, K-3 no weady....
Boss: Okay, than lets put some minor upgwades into the K-5 and welabel it!
Enegeneer Mitumi: Ok Boss.

Or they just decided to keep the K-5 anyway in their line-up, even if there will be a new flagship coming soon.
Japanese speak with funny lisping, do they? Really?
09-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I don't find any of this year's Photokina Pentax announcements so far very interesting. But that is just my personal opinion. But I have a feeling we haven't seen everything yet. A certain poster on a certain forum (not RH or ogl) AFAIK works for a major camera retailer and he usually knows what's coming. And from his hints and posts I have gathered that there will be another DSLR announced, the rumored 24 mpix APS-C model. Not my cup of tea either, but some might see it differently.

EDIT: Read some more recent posts. Don't know, perhaps this was it after all.
Sony just announced a full frame 24 mp point and shoot plus the a99 full frame