Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
As for the FF my Q source if you remember before.
How high is it on the Rice High probability scale?

Jokes aside, I hope you are right

09-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think for Pentax, 8 new product announcement in at once is rare enough. It is probably the biggest in recent years.
I am very happy that Ricoh is really doing something with expanding Pentax (not like that Hoya) product.

Though not warrant a camera upgrade for me, the targeted K5II and K5IIs customer is not current K5 users (maybe few w/ enough cash will upgrade). I will hold and wait, like all Pentaxians have done all these years.... lol. I am happy to spend my money in upgrading other camera stuffs (ball head, tripod, bags) for now.
OK it was a fair number of product announcements but being realistic: Pentax announced the telephoto on the road map at least 18 months (even two years?*) ago and the 18-270 is a rebadged Tamron. The K5-II/s are two cameras that are almost identical to themselves and very similar to the previous K-5.

I am happy to see these things rather than seeing nothing though. And I think Ricoh actually want the camera division unlike Hoya. So I am optimistic.

* no details, not even focal length, but it still made it known it was working on one
09-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Caat, so far Pentax Ricoh kept their promises
I guess the presence of the "long telephoto lens" on the old roadmap and its sudden disappearance is a sign Pentax wanted to release it, but Hoya wasn't willing to (cutting into short-term profits, or something like that).
09-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #109
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That makes a lot of sense. Suppose the K-3 (or whatever) won't show up until CP+ - what could be the show stealer announcement for Photokina? What about the sometimes mentioned "645D lite"?
Hmmm...

Assuming the marketing folks are playing their cards right and given the success of the fashion/hipsters update of the K-01, I see more colors or something K-01 centric. K-01 talk has been pretty quiet lately.

Pentax has to honor some contribution from Ricoh's team(s), so I think we will see a bone thrown their way and see something from the Ricoh brain trust.

Of course there will be a mention of a "new flagship" - K3 - or at least a mock up of designs. I'm pretty sure it will be APS-C.

If they DON'T roll out the MZ-D prototype (again), then I believe they want to finally distance themselves from the old FF concept, which will mean to me, they are finally getting serious about FF. If they DO roll out the MZ-D, it will be next to the new FF design.

I think a new flash is possible to go along with the trend towards WR devices. The O-GPS-1 is WR, so it makes sense to make a new flash that is also WR. A WR flash would be another feather in Pentax's cap and give more momentum to the WR niche.

I think we might see the rumored DA Teleconverter as the going rate for the F version is north of $500 these days - USED. With the new HD coatings in place, some of the technical limitations to a TC could be minimized. A TC could fill in the gap of the DA300 and the DA560.

We might also see some simple peripherals show up that are refreshes of accessories that are now gone.

Pentax has plenty of low hanging fruit that could be money makers if they got a "DA" makeover. Things like DA extension tubes or right angle viewfinders.

We might also see an update for the K7/K5 grip that allows for an external battery pack.

Pentax has many things they could tweak without having to try too hard or spend too much money.

09-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If not, then I have to wonder about who thought it was a good idea to "spill the beans" almost 2+ weeks ahead of a huge photo conference. 8/9 products, over the course of a fews days, would be great releases DURING a conference.

Yep. I'm thinking they had to get the word out sooner about the less flashy releases.
My current line of thinking is that Pentax wanted to beat the bigger brands by announcing early. If Pentax's announcement had come later they would have been flooded in the multitude of announcements of the other brands. Sony is the only big one that has announced stuff since and when they did they got twice the number of entries on the DPR home page compared to Pentax, pushing the Pentax related news many scrolls down the page. Expect the same or more from the other bigger brands. At least now Pentax had the spotlight to itself for a short time...

Of course, I would be delighted to be proven wrong!!

Wim
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
see in private
Guys, get a room!

Or share the information you may or may not have with the rest of us, please.
09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #112
JFN
Veteran Member

There is no K3 this year but a Pentax FF by April 2013.;-) For those wanting FF.

Yeah, April 1st, as there "was" this year too...
09-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #113
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
My current line of thinking is that Pentax wanted to beat the bigger brands by announcing early. If Pentax's announcement had come later they would have been flooded in the multitude of announcements of the other brands. Sony is the only big one that has announced stuff since and when they did they got twice the number of entries on the DPR home page compared to Pentax, pushing the Pentax related news many scrolls down the page. Expect the same or more from the other bigger brands. At least now Pentax had the spotlight to itself for a short time...

Of course, I would be delighted to be proven wrong!!

Wim
Possible, sure.

Pentax in the last year or so has shown better savvy in their marketing campaigns when it comes to getting the word out. All of these announcements are just "credible house keeping" in that products that they said were coming, actually made it to market - finally.

If they don't have a FF or a K3, and they announce it at Photokina, how serious would we take them knowing they didn't give us what they said would be given to us at CP+ and earlier.

I see it as "See we delivered on our promise", now they can "Get on with the new stuff". They really don't care if the announcements they made this week disappear.

From an accounting and investing perspective?

Pentax had to finish their job/promises BEFORE Photokina, and they did so with these announcements.

If you've ever done a movie/photoshoot, you realize that all the location/shots/footage you take is worthless unless you can finish the assignment or picture.

With these announcements, Pentax has called a "wrap" on certain projects and sent the products off to distribution.

09-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ogl do you have an email.
Baka pwedeng pa-send rin sakin pare? Or bawal ba magsabi sa kapwa Pinoy? hehe

How sure is this "source"?
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That makes a lot of sense. Suppose the K-3 (or whatever) won't show up until CP+ - what could be the show stealer announcement for Photokina?
\

Only stand with decent coffee?
09-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I am still wondering how long it will take for the myth of an upcoming Pentax FF to finally die.
When Pentax ceases operations entirely.
09-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #117
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
\

Only stand with decent coffee?
From my viewpoint what pentax has done makes perfect sense, but their actions tell us a few things as well.

1) they had the new focusing engine ready and had developed it in a K-5
2) For what ever reason the successor model to the K-5 would not be ready for Christmas selling season.
3) Announcing a model at Photokina that couldn't ship for the christmas season would be marketing suicide.

In this context their actions of freshening the K-5 with an upgrade to arguably its weakest subsystem makes perfect sense.

One of the very serious issues that Pentax has is that a successful successor model to the K-5 needs to actually be better
than the K-5, and that is becoming a very steep road. When the sensor design reaches the optical resolution limits as it
almost true, the options of the body maker for true improvements are pretty limited.
09-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
From my viewpoint what pentax has done makes perfect sense, but their actions tell us a few things as well.

2) For what ever reason the successor model to the K-5 would not be ready for Christmas selling season.
3) Announcing a model at Photokina that couldn't ship for the christmas season would be marketing suicide.
2 and 3 combined, I think you are correct if it were solely the K-3 but I think now they could get away with "we have K-5II and plan on releasing a K-3 early next year before CP+, we don't want you to wait that long".
09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #119
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The K-5ii in the meantime is mostly to use up all the K-5 parts and ride the glory of this particular model
There's probabaly some truth to this idea - or perhaps to complete a take-or-pay commitment on the 16Mb sensor.
09-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote

In this context their actions of freshening the K-5 with an upgrade to arguably its weakest subsystem makes perfect sense.

One of the very serious issues that Pentax has is that a successful successor model to the K-5 needs to actually be better
than the K-5, and that is becoming a very steep road. When the sensor design reaches the optical resolution limits as it
almost true, the options of the body maker for true improvements are pretty limited.
Not that serious really. Dual card slots, overhauled flash system, changes to color rendition (the K5 has a problem with reds and to a lesser extent with yellows, I think), new focus system, overhauled video system, better live view, focus peaking, corrected horizon indicator - there's actually a lot Pentax could have done. That they have chosen not to do any of it bar one thing or at least one main thing, overhauling the focus system, suggests to me that they know the K5 has had its best days, perhaps because the model of sensor used cannot be adapted for improved video output and live view, for example. So they are concentrating on a newer offering which is yet to be announced. From here it looks as if missing the Christmas selling season is missing a lot of sales, but Pentax must have their reasons and so be it.