Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have my hopes up for a refreshed flash lineup....

09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5II doesn't look as flagship...Even processor is old. It seems to me one more camera will be announced on the first day of Photokina
If Pentax officially declares the K-5 IIs as "the" flagship, I'm giving up all hope for the K-3.
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought I remember hearing that Pentax was planning on having a 4 camera line-up (not including the 645d) and that the k30 was not supposed to be their entry level? I suppose that explains why the pricing on the k30 has been falling so fast. I still think a 3 camera line up would be better, but I'm not sure if it would be better for Pentax to have another camera below the k30 or above the k5II. Maybe with the k-01, Pentax thinks they have something below the k30? But it being a mirrorless seems like it shouldn't be considered part of this continuum IMO. I'm not sure the k5II fills the flagship role for the next 2 years given it's so similar to the k5... there's gotta be something more.... I hope!
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hasn't Pentax declared the K5II as the flagship? We can hope for a Photokina K3 announcement but as someone else said, dethroning a flagship after two weeks is sort of odd.

That said, the K5II is just plain odd. I mean, I'm sure it's going to be a great camera, but it lacks features of the lesser K30. No focus peaking, Prime M, etc. would leave me to believe that the K5II is not the true flagship and they are intentionally crippling its features so folks go for the K3.

09-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I thought I remember hearing that Pentax was planning on having a 4 camera line-up (not including the 645d) and that the k30 was not supposed to be their entry level? I suppose that explains why the pricing on the k30 has been falling so fast. I still think a 3 camera line up would be better, but I'm not sure if it would be better for Pentax to have another camera below the k30 or above the k5II. Maybe with the k-01, Pentax thinks they have something below the k30? But it being a mirrorless seems like it shouldn't be considered part of this continuum IMO. I'm not sure the k5II fills the flagship role for the next 2 years given it's so similar to the k5... there's gotta be something more.... I hope!
K-01
K-30
K-5 II
K-5 IIs

09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Hasn't Pentax declared the K5II as the flagship? We can hope for a Photokina K3 announcement but as someone else said, dethroning a flagship after two weeks is sort of odd. That said, the K5II is just plain odd. I mean, I'm sure it's going to be a great camera, but it lacks features of the lesser K30. No focus peaking, Prime M, etc. would leave me to believe that the K5II is not the true flagship and they are intentionally crippling its features so folks go for the K3.
Just read Pentax's email to me. Yes it's the flagship now..... Too bad. No K-3, then. Either it's for CP+ or (!) 2 years more again... that said, it's like Pentax didn't do their homework after Photokina 2010... just improved their previous project. I agree that while the II and IIs are not bad from a Pentax user perspective, it looks bad the Pentax's corporate image...
09-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We could still see a K-3 but given Pentax has declared the K-5II to be the DSLR flagship in its own marketing it doesnt bode well. Unless the K-3 is mirrored and therefore not a DSLR, which doesn't seem very likely.

09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The K-5ii is a good camera but the lack of features that exist in the K-30 is disappointing. I hope that new info reveals the K-5ii has focus peaking and other features from the K-30. Either that, or quickly announce one more model that is a true flagship, combining the best of both cameras.

-Ricoh has a plan and we will be confused.
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think there will be always a K-3 in the near future, but the question would be if it's an aps-c dslr again, or a full frame one. These new Pentax products today are a bit dissapointing. The improvement of the K-5 is so little, even for the video mode.
09-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I think the K-3 will be announced one day before the start of Photokina. Just like the K-5 in 2010, which was announced one day before opening (the K-r was announced one week earlier than that).
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K-5ii is a good camera but the lack of features that exist in the K-30 is disappointing. I hope that new info reveals the K-5ii has focus peaking and other features from the K-30. Either that, or quickly announce one more model that is a true flagship, combining the best of both cameras.

-Ricoh has a plan and we will be confused.
Personally, I think this will happen sooner than later. It just doesn't make sense not to have a camera that encompasses the features of the K30 and K5II...and hopefully a little more.
09-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think the K-3 will be announced one day before the start of Photokina. Just like the K-5 in 2010, which was announced one day before opening (the K-r was announced one week earlier than that).
I think there is a decent chance of that, I certainly hope you are right.
09-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What “happened“ to it? It will be released early next year, like the rumours said.
Pentax is a small company and can't do everything at once. Full frame will also come in due time.
For now, AF at -3EV... are you guys listening!?
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Pity.
I think the K-5II is a great camera, I really never could find a fault with the K-5. Maybe Pentax feels (and I cannot disagree completely) that the K-5 is a benchmark camera and that they plan on having a K-5 forever and ever... just different silghtly enhanced versions in more or less the same body. No need to buy a back up K-5 as I already have two but I know that I will be safe when one breaks down due to circumstances beyond the limitations of the body. (Even a Pentax dslr's has its limits, I have handled a few dslr that were supposed to be rugged and the only one that felt more rugged was the Oly E-1, which I abused a lot. I got it back (2nd hand) in the days when there were no sealed Pentax cameras and I needed one, but I never really "liked"it like I like Pentax... Oly E-1 to Oly E-3 was like going from a Landrover to one of those modern cars that boast 4x4 just because it sounds great.. Now that is a mistake Pentax did not make).

K-3 was not meant to be FF IMHO. If there would be Pentax FF, I suspect new naming like "L-5"or "M-.."
K-3 was rumored to have the 23Mp sensor of the F3200/A55. Granted it looks bad on the Sony one but Nikon did a better job...
If you look at what Pentax did with the K-5 sensor, I am quite sure the results in those cameras are by no means an indication of what a K-3 image could have looked like.
However even after a year it did not materialize in Pentax.
Two possibilities (among others ofcourse):
-After a year of trial and error , Pentax/Ricoh decided they could not improve the sensor enough to make a new camera to their liking, so K-3 with old sensor = K-5II.
-Sony/Nikon are really scared of what Pentax can do with sensors they decided not to release it even after more than a year...
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
What “happened“ to it? It will be released early next year, like the rumours said.
Pentax is a small company and can't do everything at once. Full frame will also come in due time.
For now, AF at -3EV... are you guys listening!?
Uhhm anything announced now will be released end of this year/early next year... K-5 may be something else because it is not entirely new... If they announce K-3 ( and the rumours did also say "Photokina") later this year or early next year, we won't see it before may/june..

The more they wait with FF the better it has to be. They should not try to make an "entry level FF" like the D600 as I suspect that wont be a big enough leap form even the K-5 for Pentax.
The D600 will outshine the K-5 in what Nikon is always better at, like flash etc.. but they want people to by the D600 only to lust for a D800 after a few months, they don't ant the D600 to last. So IQ will be "lowered" to make people jump upwards sooner.