Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Sony just announced a full frame 24 mp point and shoot
A beautiful but very expensive little toy.

The A99 isn't quite as expensive - for what you get, but also not very beautiful. I see that it gets some praise for it looks - but to me it looks like Frankenstein took a K20 and force-fed it steroids

Now let's see what the Nikon D600 has to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be significantly more expensive than rumored!

09-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

The A99 isn't quite as expensive - for what you get, but also not very beautiful. I see that it gets some praise for it looks - but to me it looks like Frankenstein took a K20 and force-fed it steroids

Now let's see what the Nikon D600 has to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be significantly more expensive than rumored!
I guess it depends upon how aggressive Nikon wants to be. Given how well the D800 is reported to be selling they may decided that they can take the hit and sell the D600 for very little profit. Or they may be concerned that doing so would cannibalise sales. Either way the D600 is likely to be the first FF to put pressure on the ultra-high end APS-C - of which there haven't been many released recently.

Also I agree: the A99 looks like someone overfed their K20 and then accidentally sat on it.
09-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The new Sony fullframe was just announced. If it really has the same sensors as the Pentax, it makes sense that Pentax announces AFTER Sony. This could take a couple more months though.
I am still wondering how long it will take for the myth of an upcoming Pentax FF to finally die.

Will someone start a rumor about it for Photokina 2020 or will the idea of Pentax never introducing such a camera become clearer by that time...?
09-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I am still wondering how long it will take for the myth of an upcoming Pentax FF to finally die.
Well, affordable FF is going to go mainstream. CaNiSo is clearly showing those signs. So if Pentax refuses to join in on that then their already tiny marketschare will shrink even more. The myth will die with them.

09-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I guess it depends upon how aggressive Nikon wants to be. Given how well the D800 is reported to be selling they may decided that they can take the hit and sell the D600 for very little profit. .
Why would NIkon want to sell a camera with very little profit? Nikon are selling so many cameras that they can hardly make them fast enough; they don't need to reduce profit. Pointlessly reducing profit is not going to make the shareholders happy.
09-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, affordable FF is going to go mainstream. CaNiSo is clearly showing those signs. .
Where are those signs? You could have 24mp FF camera for $1800 years ago (and not very sucessful saleswise). I've seen no signs that anything is about to change.
09-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #82
Veteran Member

!
It is all doom and gloom at Sony forums, Sony is doomed even more by their own fans than Pentax by us ( and a certain RH).
But I am not so pessimistic for Sony, after all, Pentax did survive all doom and gloom too.

09-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Sony cameras, like the A99, look like they're slowly evolving into formless blobs... they used to have a more rigid and respectable look about them... not so much now.
09-12-2012, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

I think Pentax kind of has to make a new flagship, FF or not. Simply because the K-5ii is still missing so many things that other cameras in their lineup already have. It seems to me they let out things like focus peaking on purpose so that the K-5ii is kind of like their barebones semi-pro camera, and then the K-3 will have a newer sensor, focus peaking, more video modes, etc. (ie, 'the complete package')
The K-5ii in the meantime is mostly to use up all the K-5 parts and ride the glory of this particular model. It offers 'the best APSC' without 'all the redundant features real photographers dont need.'
09-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Sony cameras, like the A99, look like they're slowly evolving into formless blobs... they used to have a more rigid and respectable look about them... not so much now.
+1 - and the a99 isn't even much smaller than the a900: Compare camera dimensions side by side
09-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #86
Veteran Member

+1 - and the a99 isn't even much smaller than the a900: Compare camera dimensions side by side
interesting site, lets take a look, always wanted to put these side by side1Dx vs 645D
09-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Where are those signs? You could have 24mp FF camera for $1800 years ago (and not very sucessful saleswise). I've seen no signs that anything is about to change.
Wake up! Have you seen the price of the A99? In a year or so, that price will be at a record low for FF. Probably lower then any 24mp APSC that Pentax MIGHT produce.
09-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
interesting site, lets take a look, always wanted to put these side by side1Dx vs 645D
Choose the top view and the 645d looks much more chunky
But the 645d could lose some fat behind the sensor and then it wouldn't look that much fatter from above.
09-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #89
Veteran Member

There is no K3 this year but a Pentax FF by April 2013.;-) For those wanting FF.
09-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Choose the top view and the 645d looks much more chunky
But the 645d could lose some fat behind the sensor and then it wouldn't look that much fatter from above.
yeah i noticed that but the chunky side on the front is where a big lens sits so de DD cupped front is not a fixed thing