Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wake up! Have you seen the price of the A99? In a year or so, that price will be at a record low for FF. Probably lower then any 24mp APSC that Pentax MIGHT produce.
Huhh?? I've seen a price of $2800 for the ugliest camera on the planet (along with the hideous D800)

09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Wake up! Have you seen the price of the A99? In a year or so, that price will be at a record low for FF. Probably lower then any 24mp APSC that Pentax MIGHT produce.
Based on my calculations, the A99 should settle at/or around $2200-2400 USD.
That being said, this get you an EVF FF camera and a compromise in noise performance as well. And so it's all relative I suppose.
Whatever the case, I can't wait to see the RAW files from this camera myself.
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Huhh?? I've seen a price of $2800 for the ugliest camera on the planet (along with the hideous D800)
That price is not that high. And I don't care what the camera itself looks like, only what the pictures it produces look like.
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That price is not that high. And I don't care what the camera itself looks like, only what the pictures it produces look like.
But it's really sad to see it besides the far more classic a900.

But the most important drawback of the a99 is that it's not a DSLR! Instead of the large nice viewfinder of the a900, all you get is a video camera view of the world. What a huge step backwards

09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I see that the debate here is going on for the price if it is a cheap Pentax or not, or a cheap full frame or not... I've read a forum somewhere in the net just this week that Pentaxians are known as lowballers, wanting everything to be cheap cheap cheap...
I don't have the cash, but man, give it a break fellow Pentaxians... Not everything are meant to be cheap...
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What a huge step backwards
The OLED viewfinder is magnificent.

Live histogram and spirit level in the viewfinder, as well as accurate exposure demonstration and focus peaking? Yes please, massive step forward I think you'll find.
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it is twice the price of a top of the line APS camera and they are all out of reach of 97% of the DSLR buying public. It is almost twice the price of the dirt cheap FF proponents price estimates. FF is not getting cheaper; they are $1000 more expensive than the last batch of 24mp FF cameras.

The Sony will be a flop. Too expensive for a non-Nikon/Canon - no user base and the ugliness and the hopeless pellicle mirror (something even Canon stopped doing) will scare the rest away. Thats my prediction...

09-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Have you seen it? How much better than the NEX-7 viewfinder is it? It's got to be ridiculously good to make me change my mind, the NEX-7 viewfinder, good as it is, is IMHO (but YMMV, my daughter who owns the NEX-7 wouldn't agree ) pathetic compared to my K-5's viewfinder. So I really, really doubt that the a99 VF is even remotely comparable to the highly praised VF of the a900.
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #129
Pentaxian

The Sony will be a flop. Too expensive for a non-Nikon/Canon - no user base and the ugliness and the hopeless pellicle mirror (something even Canon stopped doing) will scare the rest away. Thats my prediction...
I think you may be right. But if really a FF NEX-9 is coming, it will be a completely different story. With a comparable EVF to the a99 and at the same time a Leicaish body for the hipster crowd, it's going to make much more impact.
09-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Live histogram and spirit level in the viewfinder, as well as accurate exposure demonstration and focus peaking? Yes please, massive step forward I think you'll find.
One of the gripes mentioned in the Pentax forums is the battery life just 500 pictures.. I just checked Sony as I suspected a typo but it says, `500 pictures with LCD, 470 with EVF`.
I suspected FF might gobble up more energy as well but the last Sony with better batterylife is the older FF 850.
09-12-2012, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

+1

I tried the A65 of a friend, the viewfinder is big, bright, 100% and WYSIWYG. The viewfinder of my K-r is just a joke compared to it. I also prefer it to the Canon 5D VF. Never tried a K-5 though.
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
+1

I tried the A65 of a friend, the viewfinder is big, bright, 100% and WYSIWYG. The viewfinder of my K-r is just a joke compared to it. I also prefer it to the Canon 5D VF. Never tried a K-5 though.
Don't bother then. If you were to compare the K5 viewfinder to the viewfinder on any FF camera you will be very disappointed in the viewfinder on the K5.
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
If you were to compare the K5 viewfinder to the viewfinder on any FF camera you will be very disappointed in the viewfinder on the K5.
That's not been my experience,
say comparing composing and manual focus (with confirmation) on the K5
to composing and manual focus (with microprisms) on a Spotmatic.
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Don't bother then. If you were to compare the K5 viewfinder to the viewfinder on any FF camera you will be very disappointed in the viewfinder on the K5.
If you were to compare the 645D's finder to any FF one you be very dissapointed. Can't you buy accessories that makes the K-5 finder look like a FF finder?
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #135
Veteran Member

If you were to compare the 645D's finder to any FF one you be very dissapointed. Can't you buy accessories that makes the K-5 finder look like a FF finder?
You'd need to buy lenses that were a stop faster, too, not just an embigginator.