Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Me thinks that if ever Pentax releases a FF it will be around $2,500 initially....considering Nikon had it for $2.1k and Sony for $2.8K. That's quite a lot of money for me for a hobby. I wish Pentax surprises us with a real budget FF.
I think that if Pentax ever releases FF then they will have to price it according to the other FF on the market. The specs would have to offer much more than the d600 and be decently close to the d800 to be priced at $2500. If the specs are closer to the d600, then a lot of people would just spend the extra $300 for the d800. they already have quite a few people who wanted FF considering a switch and any FF would be targeting not just current Pentax users, but new ones too like students and new pro shooters. To get people over to (or to stay with) Pentax they need to offer something over canikon. In the past this was value. I don't know what else they could offer as their "thing" if they no longer go for the value angle.

09-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me if Pentax will ever release their FF next year, i hope its contour is like the K-5 and the same BG so less burden for the consumers who owns K-5.
09-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #168
Veteran Member

The Nikon D600 Product Video:

If the Pentax full frame camera comes out, what would it look like..?
09-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But the D600 (FF!) is going to be $2200,- probably eventually ending up somewhere at $1900,-. The difference consists of mere pocket-change! Who's going to buy that APSC-body, when they can get FF for virtually the same price?
Those who don't want an FF camera. 24mp FF cameras have sold for $1800 years ago. APS is a format in its own right, just like FF. They have both their strenght and weaknesses.

09-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Me thinks that if ever Pentax releases a FF it will be around $2,500 initially....considering Nikon had it for $2.1k and Sony for $2.8K. That's quite a lot of money for me for a hobby. I wish Pentax surprises us with a real budget FF.
If Pentax do that there will be lots of unhappy Pentax users that will end up buying a D800 instead. They haven't much of a choice than to bring out an K-5 FF equivalent; ie a sturdy, small and weather sealed model.
09-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #171

At $2100, the Nikon D600 is at the next "price point" above the K-5 II. It's 24 megapixels, a number we've heard with relation to Pentax in recent rumors. So maybe this is what Pentax releases in spring once Nikon's "exclusive" on that Sony sensor expires.

At one level, perhaps Pentax has to under-price Nikon, since they have less sophisticated autofocus, light metering, and flash automation. They also have a narrower lens selection. On the other hand, Pentax is a smaller company, they have less sales volume to recover capital costs, so they may have to charge more per camera. But there isn't much wiggle room on full-frame pricing -- the sensors cost at least 4 times more than APS-C sensors.

But no full-frame DSLR camera can be as small as the K-5 II, since the pentaprism has to be larger for the larger focusing screen. Although they could give up the built-in flash, which makes room for a bigger prism.
09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
At $2100, the Nikon D600 is at the next "price point" above the K-5 II. It's 24 megapixels, a number we've heard with relation to Pentax in recent rumors. So maybe this is what Pentax releases in spring once Nikon's "exclusive" on that Sony sensor expires.

But no full-frame DSLR camera can be as small as the K-5 II, since the pentaprism has to be larger for the larger focusing screen. Although they could give up the built-in flash, which makes room for a bigger prism.
K-5IIs is about usd 1.300,00. I´d say that is quit a few price points between that and the D600.
If pentax decides to g FF they should look at specs rather than the D600 price..

09-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #173
Veteran Member

OK, so now we have some new Sony FF's (in different shapes and sizes) and a new 'affordable' Nikon FF.

Looks like it is Canon's turn to do something new with FF. Then Pentax

BTW it's interesting to see how all the majors (Pentax, Sony, Nikon) seem to have made all their recent big product releases in an orderly sequence.
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At one level, perhaps Pentax has to under-price Nikon, since they have less sophisticated autofocus, light metering, and flash automation. They also have a narrower lens selection. On the other hand, Pentax is a smaller company, they have less sales volume to recover capital costs, so they may have to charge more per camera. But there isn't much wiggle room on full-frame pricing -- the sensors cost at least 4 times more than APS-C sensors.
The D600 is a cheap body and as opposed to the Nikon a Pentax FF needs to work as a K-mount flagship as well. Therefore I think Pentax best bet is to make a sturdy weather ealed body at $2500+. I hope they choose the 36mp sensor and even charge $3000+. Also, my suggestion is that they make it with interchangeable viewfinders. An optical one and an electronic one. The latter the mirror will stay up and it will then work like a mirrorless. This will make it unique and justify a higher price. I believe SR will be optical.
09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #175
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: [deleted]
09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Just read the current numbers of how much the average user payed for a new DSLR here in Germany in 2011: 620 EUR
And the average lens cost 290 EUR.
If you consider the fact that the cheapest DSLR body costs about 320 EUR body only you can deduce how far off any DSLR body far beyond the 1,000 EUR mark is for the average buyer. It's a lot of price points (about 5 new average lenses anyway).

What is even more interesting is that for 2 bodies only three lenses per year are being sold (unit-wise).

So a $2,200 camera is a lot but not entry level. It is still niche for the relatively wealthy (as any body beyond $1,000 seems to be) .

Yes. Thats why FF has 5% markershare. The new FF bodies have not change the price picture. Previous 24mp entry level FF was cheaper than the D600....
09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #177
Veteran Member

To me the possibility or a surprise announcement for a K-3 seems pretty improbable. Such announcement would kill all sales of the K5II before it even started. The K-5II and K10 were the low-hanging fruits for Pentax, who had to get something new out, but having spent much efforts on getting the K-30 out the door, and working on the next generation flagship in the same time after yet another take over, was no doubt pretty challenging in itself. They may announce future body road map to keep Pentaxian salivating, but that is as much as I hope for.
09-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #178
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
, my suggestion is that they make it with interchangeable viewfinders. An optical one and an electronic one. The latter the mirror will stay up and it will then work like a mirrorless. This will make it unique and justify a higher price. I believe SR will be optical.
That sounds like LV with an unnecessary EVF. I'd be quite happy with LV the way it is, viewed on the brilliant large rear LCD.
09-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #179
Veteran Member

You obviously never held an OLY OM-1, or Pentax ME FF Film cameras, which are two third the size of the K-5 !
09-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
You obviously never held an OLY OM-1, or Pentax ME FF Film cameras, which are two third the size of the K-5 !
I think a FF sensor would require more space than a FF film because of all technicalities that need to be connected. And SR requires somw additional space as well alltough given the size of the SR APS-C Pentax bodies compared to non SR other APS bodies like the D7000 that is negligable.