Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #196
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
FF sensor not available (yet). Sony is hoarding supply save to very wealthy Nikon until they have their models announced and blooded in the market.
May I ask do you work for Sony? For such statement Sony would instantly fire then sue you for both releasing company info and despising Sony's production capabilities.

09-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Yes, ok about that. But I still think that for hand held long tele's optical is more than an advantage, it's a must!
No it isn't. SR works extremely well. I haven't used my 600/4 on a tripod for years!
SR is the best solution for smaller sensors. For FF and larger optical stabilization will be more effective as bigger sensors means more mass to move longer distances. Also there must be restrictions of how much you can move the sensors due to limitation from the size of the lens mount for a potential Pentax FF camera.
09-14-2012, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Sure, you make some profit with almost every product. But think about how much development you need for an EOS 1100 compared to an EOS 1DX. Hugely different.
The profit ratio is much higher with those cheaper cameras.

The difference in develping cost is not that much. Besides, a cheaper camera compete in a more price sensitive market. That means that profit per unit is lower but hopefully compensated for by higher volume. An FF camera is certainly profitable for those who can sell enough of them which presently is restricted to Nikon and Canon. As for lenses, no one is giving them away except for kit lenses that bundled with the camera in order to sweeten the pill and make a sale.
Beancounters go through every single item than manufcaturers make and make sure that they all are profitable according to goals of the manufacturer unless it is in a segment of the market where profit margins are very low due to the competition situation. Everything that doesn't fit this bill get deleted or will see a price increase. Theres nothing random when it come sto pricing...
09-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #199

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I think a FF sensor would require more space than a FF film because of all technicalities that need to be connected. And SR requires somw additional space as well alltough given the size of the SR APS-C Pentax bodies compared to non SR other APS bodies like the D7000 that is negligable.
Moreover, any FF camera would benefit from a battery with large capacity, and this will also need lots of space. You can't plug this into an MX-like body.

09-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #200
Veteran Member

I definitely think Pentax should incorporate SR into their FF body. It's a MAJOR plus over the other brands to give stabilisation to ANY lens. Just give it a bigger body. Otherwise, 9 out of 10 will slap on a battery grip for better grip anyway.
09-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I definitely think Pentax should incorporate SR into their FF body. It's a MAJOR plus over the other brands to give stabilisation to ANY lens. Just give it a bigger body. Otherwise, 9 out of 10 will slap on a battery grip for better grip anyway.
No I won't, Grips make kits big, What good is better handling of because of the size you dont want to bríng your camera? or just cannot bring your camera?
Pentax cameras with SR are smaller than their non-SR competitors. While I agree that FF sensors may require bigger SR mechanisms, it may not mean it should be bigger than the K20D.
09-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hand held long tele's?!?
Why not !!!

09-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Why not !!!
Because of the part that you cut off.
09-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No it isn't. SR works extremely well. I haven't used my 600/4 on a tripod for years!
That is for you man with strong ironed arms! Me, Tonto, have thin arms and it is a struggle to hold still and frame correctly. Most of the times I have to crop to clean.
09-14-2012, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But I don't think it is effective enough. Isn't Sonys only about 1-2 stops? Remember that an FF sensor is larger and need to be moved further. In addition the FF sensor virtually fill the lensmount so there might no be much room for movement before vignetting due to the lensmount occur.
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
May I ask do you work for Sony? For such statement Sony would instantly fire then sue you for both releasing company info and despising Sony's production capabilities.
Sony stopped their FF camera lines and instead kept supplying Nikon's through 2 release cycles. Sony made for others what they could not make and sell for themselves.

I would never work for Sony. Except for their industrials section Sony is a slow-moving train wreck. Ugh!
09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I agree with you 100% but prepare for a barrage of posts 'proving' that Pentax cannot afford this etc etc etc..
I think its a "done" deal at this point, the folks that want it are going to get their FF opportunity. I'm glad for them and for Ricoh. Its seems pretty clear that the K5 MkII was a fill-in because of some unavoidable delay, some contractual agreement on sensors, or it wasn't ready yet, etc. Unlike the D600, i think the Pentax version will be decked out like a flagship - not that much more cost really.

Now i just have to figure out if i "want" one :-) I think the K5 mk IIs is also going to please folks. Its all good.
09-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #208
Veteran Member

But I don't think it is effective enough. Isn't Sonys only about 1-2 stops? Remember that an FF sensor is larger and need to be moved further. In addition the FF sensor virtually fill the lensmount so there might no be much room for movement before vignetting due to the lensmount occur.
In lens IS is a lot better. You can actually hold 1/30 with a 70-200/2.8@200.
But who says you can't have both?
09-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #209
Veteran Member

But I don't think it is effective enough. Isn't Sonys only about 1-2 stops?
Pentax SR on APSC is also only about 1-2 stop, so....?
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
In lens IS is a lot better. You can actually hold 1/30 with a 70-200/2.8@200.
But who says you can't have both?
You can do that with Pentax SR as well. I have hand hold a 600mm at 1/60s.