Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What if Samsung bought Hoya/Pentax?

It seems like there is a bit of redundancy and waste going on when Pentax and Samsung are each producing cameras that are almost identical in every way but exterior form. Now Samsung is apparently going to be producing its own lenses. If Samsung has a little spare cash hanging around (relative to them), they might just decide to buy out Hoya/Pentax and potentially benefit from streamlining the product line-up as well as benefit from economies of scale. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Ted

02-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Bad ideea. Pentax is a photographic company, they know what's important for a camera. Samsung, well... I'm not sure they won't see DSLRs as just some bigger point&shoots.
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Not Registered

I think that the question is about if they want to destroy the camera division or not. At the prices they are going to sell the GX-20, they will kill any interest of Hoya in produce more bodies. To me it looks like Pentax will end up being a lens supplier and Samsung will keep the camera bussiness

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
It seems like there is a bit of redundancy and waste going on when Pentax and Samsung are each producing cameras that are almost identical in every way but exterior form. Now Samsung is apparently going to be producing its own lenses. If Samsung has a little spare cash hanging around (relative to them), they might just decide to buy out Hoya/Pentax and potentially benefit from streamlining the product line-up as well as benefit from economies of scale. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Ted
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This could be more than just a business decision. Pentax is a well know brand in Japan; there may be some opposition in selling it to a Korean company.

To be honest, there are just too many possibilities and pondering over each of them is not fun. For example, the success (or failure) of the K20D and K200D would have significant implication of the direction of Pentax.

02-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Ted
What makes you think they are producing either cameras or lenses? Pentax makes the cameras and Schnieder makes the lenses. Both are just putting the Samsung name on the items.
02-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
What makes you think they are producing either cameras or lenses? Pentax makes the cameras and Schnieder makes the lenses. Both are just putting the Samsung name on the.
This is what prompted my thread: From the Floor of PMA/Samaung: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This could be more than just a business decision. Pentax is a well know brand in Japan; there may be some opposition in selling it to a Korean company.
Yeah. Those are fighting words. As petty as that may sound to me in the States, it is actually a big deal over there.

From what I've read, I don't think Hoya will so easily give Pentax the overhead to trick out their DSLR system. Pentax has some pretty innovative minds over there and Samsung has some pretty big ambitions. I think Samsung should just buy the Pentax camera division, let Hoya keep the binocular stuff, and keep Hoya where they are. Just get the camera division. That way, Tokina can start pushing out some stuff in k-mount.

Either that or Pentax should sell their high end model under Samsung's name with Samsung's money. I don't think Samsung would mind having a high end camera and I don't think Pentax would want to take a gamble with their own money. Chalk the high end model up to Samsung. They want it anyway and they could take the loss if it doesn't sell.

02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Yeah. Those are fighting words. As petty as that may sound to me in the States, it is actually a big deal over there.

From what I've read, I don't think Hoya will so easily give Pentax the overhead to trick out their DSLR system. Pentax has some pretty innovative minds over there and Samsung has some pretty big ambitions. I think Samsung should just buy the Pentax camera division, let Hoya keep the binocular stuff, and keep Hoya where they are. Just get the camera division. That way, Tokina can start pushing out some stuff in k-mount.

Either that or Pentax should sell their high end model under Samsung's name with Samsung's money. I don't think Samsung would mind having a high end camera and I don't think Pentax would want to take a gamble with their own money. Chalk the high end model up to Samsung. They want it anyway and they could take the loss if it doesn't sell.
That is for sure, Samsung has a market cap of over 100 Billion USD and annual sales in 2006 of 158 Billion USD
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So Samsung is making a grip, great! The camera is still being made by Pentax and sold to Samsung with some minor spec changes. It's a standard OEM deal. I'll buy the one that is the cheapest.
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What makes you think they are producing either cameras or lenses? Pentax makes the cameras and Schnieder makes the lenses. Both are just putting the Samsung name on the items.
As far as I know, Schneider is not making any lenses for Samsung, they just sold the rights to use their name to Samsung, so Samsung can put that name on Pentax lenses.
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi all

Re Marcus's comment:
QuoteQuote:
I think Samsung should just buy the Pentax camera division
What if 'hell froze over' first ? I wish things were only just that simple ! With respect, this subject has already been 'done to death' before. Might I tactfully suggest that you carefully read your history books to discover the underlying cultural reasons why the Japanese would NEVER sell one of their corporations to a Korean industrial behemoth.......prejudices still run VERY deep and despite the economic ties, the sheer 'loss of face' makes such a dishonourable deed unthinkable !
If matters turn out otherwise, I'll eat my Yen !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.
02-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Re Marcus's comment:

If only things were just that simple ! This subject has already been 'done to death' before. I suggest you read your history books to discover the underlying cultural reasons why the Japanese would NEVER sell one of their corporations to a Korean industrial behemoth.......despite the economic ties, the sheer 'loss of face' makes such a dishonourable deed unthinkable !
If matters turns out otherwise, I'll eat my Yen !

Best regards
Richard
No question you are right about taboos that have existed for a long time. The world keeps on turning and changing and like it or not (in part due to the internet) national boundaries are becoming increasingly blurred.
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Re Marcus's comment:

What if 'hell froze over' first ? I wish things were only just that simple ! With respect, this subject has already been 'done to death' before. Might I tactfully suggest that you carefully read your history books to discover the underlying cultural reasons why the Japanese would NEVER sell one of their corporations to a Korean industrial behemoth.......prejudices still run VERY deep and despite the economic ties, the sheer 'loss of face' makes such a dishonourable deed unthinkable !
If matters turn out otherwise, I'll eat my Yen !

Best regards
Richard
Yes. "...those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it."
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Bad ideea. Pentax is a photographic company, they know what's important for a camera. Samsung, well... I'm not sure they won't see DSLRs as just some bigger point&shoots.
Then again, maybe Samsung is trying to learn the ropes from Pentax with this co-development agreement. Besides, Samsung isn't that stupid to not know the difference between P&Ses and DSLRs and suddenly just jump in the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
To be honest, there are just too many possibilities and pondering over each of them is not fun. For example, the success (or failure) of the K20D and K200D would have significant implication of the direction of Pentax.
Agreed. I'm even curious also as to how much GX-20 sales will affect the K20D and the decision of Samsung to keep the GX-10 available with respect to K200D sales.

I'll buy the one that is the cheapest.
Me too.
02-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

So Samsung is making a grip, great! The camera is still being made by Pentax and sold to Samsung with some minor spec changes. It's a standard OEM deal. I'll buy the one that is the cheapest.
Samsung has to make a grip because of the cosmetic changes to the camera; they same thing occurred with the GX-10