Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #166
Veteran Member
Buschmaster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 806
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. The need for high megapixel cameras for "big printing" is over rated, particularly considering that few people will take a magnifying glass to a print that is 36 inches on a side.

I just have a hard time believing that two sharp photos, one shot at 24 megapixels on a full frame camera and the other shot on a 16 megapixel APS-C camera (assuming landscape photo, stopped down, similar framing) would look that much different, or that for most prints, there would be much visible difference.
You nailed it! When a print is that big, people don't hold it in their hand and look at it as closely as they would a 4x6 or 5x7.

09-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #167
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,149
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
For landscape pics, you would get ~1.5x the resolution if you went FF; I don't know if that matters to you or not. If you never print it might not. You also might be able to use a smaller and cheaper lens; I don't know if that matters to you or not.
You don't. Photographs are two-dimentional; they form an area. You get about 15% increase in resolution from 16 to 24mp.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 09-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.
09-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #168
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,149
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just have a hard time believing that two sharp photos, one shot at 24 megapixels on a full frame camera and the other shot on a 16 megapixel APS-C camera (assuming landscape photo, stopped down, similar framing) would look that much different, or that for most prints, there would be much visible difference.

I may have told this before but I have a friend who shoots Canon (APS + FF) with his own fine art gallery with large prints (his biggest is several meter - BTW sold to Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) for $5000). I was commenting on the amazing quality of modern FF camera from a large print when he told me it was shot with a Canon 10D
I can't spot which is FF and which is not and neither can his customers. BTW That large print was shot with the Canon 7D.

He basically says megapixels is bullshit; it just fill up the hard disk. I'm not there yet. But he did say something that I havent thought about: "it isn't supposed to look like reality, it is a photograph. It is art".
09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #169
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I may have told this before but I have a friend who shoots Canon (APS + FF) with his own fine art gallery with large prints (his biggest is several meter - BTW sold to Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) for $5000). I was commenting on the amazing quality of modern FF camera from a large print when he told me it was shot with a Canon 10D
I can't spot which is FF and which is not and neither can his customers. BTW That large print was shot with the Canon 7D.

He basically says megapixels is bullshit; it just fill up the hard disk. I'm not there yet. But he did say something that I havent thought about: "it isn't supposed to look like reality, it is a photograph. It is art".
Last year in a silly mood I bought an A2 print printer....
Not wasted I must say, I do print that size more often than I thought possible, not just photo's but for my work I make big signs too now... Anyway , pics with the humble K-5 (the old one, before this II sillyness) still look mighty good. Mind you , not all images I thought looked great look great at that size (but who cares). Even the off K10D image printed out nicely be it without the "ooh and aaah"factor.

09-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #170
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I print all the time and with my K5, I get good quality up to about 20 inches, which is the most that I ever print. Could it be better? Maybe, but the people who I show my prints like them, as do I.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I actually have a couple of pics at 20" that I like... that I shot with a circa 2005 Canon P&S.

If you're happy, great! I still wish I would've had a FF with me on that trip, though.
09-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #171
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You don't. Photographs are two-dimentional; they form an area. You get about 15% increase in resolution from 16 to 24mp.
We're talking about lens resolving power here, Pål. Try to keep up, I've told you this before.
09-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #172
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You don't. Photographs are two-dimentional; they form an area. You get about 15% increase in resolution from 16 to 24mp.
Might want to check your math.

Sqrt(1.5) ~= 1.225 = 22.5% increase in linear resolution
09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #173
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
I don't think that I could consistently tell apart random photos taken with the Q and K5, let alone FF vs APS-C.

09-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #174
Veteran Member
ironlionzion's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 409
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You don't. Photographs are two-dimentional; they form an area. You get about 15% increase in resolution from 16 to 24mp.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but since photographs are 2-d, shouldn't resolution be in terms of pixels/area. Therefore, if you are comparing two prints of the same size, the 24mp print will have 50% more pixels/area than the 16 mp print.
09-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #175
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but since photographs are 2-d, shouldn't resolution be in terms of pixels/area.
No. Resolution is measured in each dimension separately. Hence, Cannikin is right by quoting an increase of 22.47% when going from 16MP to 24MP.
09-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #176
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,149
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Might want to check your math.

Sqrt(1.5) ~= 1.225 = 22.5% increase in linear resolution
Thats why I said "about"
(actually I didn't do any math just extrapolated from the fact that you need to quadruple the mp to double the resoluition)
09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #177
Veteran Member
navcom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 807
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a D600 today. Sorry Pentax. Been a Pentaxian for 25 years and a loyal one at that. Too many rumors. Life is too short.

Pentax as a company parted ways with me. They are focusing on equipment I'm really not interested in. Companies have to do what they feel is best for their bottom line. But so do customers.

No regrets with Pentax...just wish they could've come through sooner. I'll keep the K5. It's an awesome camera and a great backup.
09-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #178
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a D600 today. Sorry Pentax. Been a Pentaxian for 25 years and a loyal one at that. Too many rumors. Life is too short.

Pentax as a company parted ways with me. They are focusing on equipment I'm really not interested in. Companies have to do what they feel is best for their bottom line. But so do customers.

No regrets with Pentax...just wish they could've come through sooner. I'll keep the K5. It's an awesome camera and a great backup.
Welcome to the dark side. I think I used my K10D twice since I went Nikon. I should have sold it ASAP but instead, I held onto it as a backup.
09-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #179
Veteran Member
navcom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 807
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Welcome to the dark side. I think I used my K10D twice since I went Nikon. I should have sold it ASAP but instead, I held onto it as a backup.
I still have both a K10D and a K20D. I'll probably sell the K10 but I will be holding on to the K20. I actually still use it for many things, including as a second camera for the wife or other family/friends to use when out and about.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Pentax equipment I have. I wouldn't have continued with it if I didn't. It's just that the company seems to be heading in a different direction than I am. I could care less about the Q, entry-level DSLR after entry-level DSLR, or colored bodies. I may be in the minority but that's where I'm at personally. I was hoping to keep advancing with Pentax through the years but they aren't in it for the whole photographer...just the entry level and certain prosumer niches it appears.

I wish them well and I will still poke around here!
09-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #180
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I was hoping to keep advancing with Pentax through the years but they aren't in it for the whole photographer...just the entry level and certain prosumer niches it appears.
I appreciate that Pentax is developing too slowly for your own needs, but your statement is not true in an absolute sense.

In March 2013, we'll see a seriously advanced APS-C camera and surely a Pentax FF is being developed as we speak. I have no idea when that Pentax FF will eventually surface, but I guess it won't take more than two years from now.

So Pentax will cater to the semi-professional photographer again, they were unfortunately just a bit too slow to demonstrate that this year.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to my thread about leaving Pentax? cueball73 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 10-13-2010 12:54 AM
A selling thread being pulled-- Appeal to forum CGJung General Talk 41 01-07-2009 03:38 PM
NOTE: DA* 60-250 thread pulled codiac2600 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 122 10-06-2008 09:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top