Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I think DSLR will still be with us for quite a while. I can't see pro's using mirrorless as a main camera to do their job,
I agree.
One of the drawbacks for those is the rather limited batterylife. Take Sony A99, just 500. An dthat is one of the longest mirrorless battery lives I could find. Oly OMD (it looks nice!).
Oh, forgot to tell, A99 500 is with :LCD use, 470 with the EVF. This is not a DPR typo, it is the specs I found on the Sony site. Ofcourse you could add a grip but so can one on mirror-using dslr's.
And this makes one of the mirrorless advantages (size) useless. What you reduce by leaving out the mirror must be added with batteries.

09-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #122
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Did you say too much adam? =)
Maybe because it is not coming anymore.
09-15-2012, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Maybe because it is not coming anymore.
Yeah, perhaps the Ricoh representative that Adam was drink... talking with thought it was a great idea worth doing, but changed his mind when he sobe... thought about it some more.
09-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stingray Quote
Hi, love all the complains about Pentax here...try and read about "Shitty Products" at diglloyd.com
or see long time industry watcher Thom Hogan's take. while a Nikon guy, can't really argue with the view that Pentax just keeps fading:

Photokina 2012 Dissapointments

09-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #125
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
or see long time industry watcher Thom Hogan's take. while a Nikon guy, can't really argue with the view that Pentax just keeps fading:

Yes, but Thom Hogan has been railing on Pentax next to forever. Heck, he may even be RiceLow.
09-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #126
Pentaxian

I'm not surpriced that this kind a 'opinions' is floating aroud. Mostly because many seems think that K-5II is not like'upgrade' but more an 'update'. Now few days to photokina, some big news from allaround. Let's see what will happen in few days. For me K-5 upgrade is great thing. Can't wait to see how it performs.

About taking thread away that has so 'famous' image at front was good idea, even there would(which I doubt) appear a 24MP monster. (which seemst be already on few brands semiprofessional camera.).
09-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #127
Site Supporter

Regardless of the various opinions of the K-5 II, I have to say that I find the K=5 II/s intriguing. The Canon 60Da got my attention but decided that it was a bit too far for me. That said, it will be interesting to see just how improved the II is regarding AF and some other areas.

09-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I think DSLR will still be with us for quite a while. I can't see pro's using mirrorless as a main camera to do their job, and as long as there are amateurs aspiring to take photo's like "pro's", (thinking the camera actually makes a difference, even if they're using auto mode and the LV of the camera, shooting pop up flash in daylight of people 50 meters away), DSLR will still have a following.
Agreed, dSLRs aren't going anywhere. Not only pros, but "enthusiasts" or "serious amateurs" are unlikely to run to mirrorless cameras in droves. Many might buy mirrorless cameras as "second" systems for travel and such, but anyone serious about photography (unless limited physically from using/carrying something bigger) will generally prefer the superior functionality, battery life and handling of a dSLR system over anything without a mirror.
09-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #129
Veteran Member

He may be Nikon guy but does he realize the number of bad shooters with Nikon vastly outnumbers the number of bad shooters with a Pentax....
That is the drawback of being a big seller... Not only the good things are multiplied, also the bad.
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Thom Hogan have been constantly wrong in his Pentax prediction. Pentax certainly isn't fading....
09-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #131
Pentaxian

Something like weather guy at TV? he says it will rain -> sunshine

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Thom Hogan have been constantly wrong in his Pentax prediction. Pentax certainly isn't fading....
09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I jumped ships 4 years ago... I can wait 6 more months without problem! Hell, I could wait 6 more years if need be! ;-)
09-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I still want to know why the thread was pulled and the text removed... Another prank by Adam just like his K-3 fiasco (I still hate him for that because of the damage it has done to the Pentax community)?
Probably got pulled because RiceH got a hold of it

Last edited by Blue; 09-15-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: removed blog link
09-15-2012, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Agreed, dSLRs aren't going anywhere. Not only pros, but "enthusiasts" or "serious amateurs" are unlikely to run to mirrorless cameras in droves. Many might buy mirrorless cameras as "second" systems for travel and such, but anyone serious about photography (unless limited physically from using/carrying something bigger) will generally prefer the superior functionality, battery life and handling of a dSLR system over anything without a mirror.
yes but again, why would people "serious about photography" stay content with Pentax's APS-C only offerings? enthusiasts and serious amateurs are being sheparded to the D600 and 6D as we speak, by the CaNikon powers that be.

as has been said a thousand times before, SLR mounts and their clearances (size), including the K-Mount, were meant for FF. mirrorless cameras have reached the image quality of APS-C DSLRs (if they're not APS-C themselves already) thus the size and weight penalty for the mirror/OVF and corresponding lenses brings diminishing returns now that only FF brings a significant boost in IQ and ISO.

want a highly regarded weathersealed, camera body with a hotshot 16mp Sony sensor, great AF, and a ton of small high quality primes? you just described an OMD (and maybe GH3), as well as a K5II, only noticeably smaller and lighter (and a little cheaper).

now more than ever, Pentax needs to fully live up to it's legacy and legacy (FF) mount.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-15-2012 at 01:08 PM.
09-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
to his credit, he wasn't predicting bankruptcy again, he was just stating the Photokina disappointments thus far, which many here have echoed.

that said, being handed off to two separate owners in the past ten years isn't quite bankruptcy, but its not exactly an encouraging sign of runaway progress either.

I'm still waiting/betting my (FA) lens collection for further Pentax announcements this year.
Closed Thread