Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To give Ricoh some credit, you can't exactly design, develop, and deploy a groundbreaking new body over the course of just 1 year"
Why not ?

The K-01 has been announced in February 2012 and it brought a lot of new stuff : new body, new processor, new engine, new features (improved video, focus peaking, ...).

Then the K-30 four months later, same system but in a DSLR body + improved AF.

It has been very well received by the press and the community, so it was a green light for Pentax to build on it for their future bodies.

So in my opinion, a K-30 in a K-5 body + a 24 Mp sensor (FF or not) could have been ready for Christmas and announced at this Photokina, I don't think it sounds too crazy ?

09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Why not ?

The K-01 has been announced in February 2012 and it brought a lot of new stuff : new body, new processor, new engine, new features (improved video, focus peaking, ...).

Then the K-30 four months later, same system but in a DSLR body + improved AF.

It has been very well received by the press and the community, so it was a green light for Pentax to build on it for their future bodies.

So in my opinion, a K-30 in a K-5 body + a 24 Mp sensor (FF or not) could have been ready for Christmas and announced at this Photokina, I don't think it sounds too crazy ?
And what makes you think K-01 et al were not alerady Hoya/Pentax projects...
09-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I think it's extremely likely that the K-01 and K-30 were Pentax/Hoya projects. The Pentax K5II may be the first Pentax/Ricoh release, and that's only to supply the community with an upgraded camera for the holidays as a stopgap, IMO. I suspect the K3 was sort of on the Pentax/Hoya roadmap but just could not be completed in time for whatever reason. We'll start to get a true taste of Pentax/Ricoh in 2013 I think.
09-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
And what makes you think K-01 et al were not alerady Hoya/Pentax projects...
Maybe they were.

But if they are good products, why not building on them instead of starting from scratch again and losing one year and making Pentax customer base unhappy like now ?

At least they could communicate a bit more than "we want to gain market share".

09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #35
JFN
Veteran Member

They did build on what they had, K30, K-5II etc.

And they probably are working on a new platform, using a new sensor (sony?), for the future K-3/K-1 that hopefully is coming early 2013.
09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
They did build on what they had, K30, K-5II etc.

And they probably are working on a new platform, using a new sensor (sony?), for the future K-3/K-1 that hopefully is coming early 2013.
Yeah let's hope.
09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I think it's extremely likely that the K-01 and K-30 were Pentax/Hoya projects.
That is not only likely but certain. It takes at least 1,5 years to develop a DSLR. Ricoh isn't even finished with integrating Pentax...
Anyway, everything is Pentax projects,: Hoya and Ricoh are owners, not the developers of cameras (Ricohs camera division is now under Pentax).

09-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Isnt that what everyone said last year, and the year before that? Just give them another 6 months good things are coming?
Haha, Simon. You bought your D700 and it's like the Pentax FF Koolaid just wore off, or something!
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
The link doesn't work because the thread it links to has now been deleted........

If you ask me we should all be patient. Just give pentax 6 more months before you all jump ship....I'm sure good things are coming.
Ohhh yaaaa,
I was just waiting for K5 succesor in which I hoped I could find focus peaking, 24MP, phase AF, new engine with Pentax low light magic.... Now I guess I am buying NEX 7. I think I can deal with EV....
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I think adam knows a lot more than he is letting on......
This forum does nothing but loop content (about Pentax releases and news that is first mentioned by a small handful of users here on the forums and doesn't pop up in the news section until hours later) and is only in place as a revenue stream for it's owner(s). Sorry to sound sour, but instead of spreading false rumors of hope (there is no hope, no one IN THE LOOP gave anybody any impression there was one coming out or in the works so again no hope at the moment) why not focus on spreading good things about the current lineup - these FF nonsense threads do nothing but "salt" Pentax/Ricoh.

- Yep, FF Coming Soon (PentaxForums Said So)
- Wow, If PentaxForums Said So It Must Be True Because It Is A Pentax Site (when actually it is not a Pentax site, just a pentax user site)
- Hmmmm, So Maybe I Need A FF Body Because Pentax Is Developing One
- Ya, FF Is Better; "YaDaYaDaYaDa FF Chatter"
- Wow I Can Do That With FF, Can't Wait Till It Comes Out Next Month Because I...NEED....ONE
- OMG, Pentax Did Not Come Out With One, Nikon Bound I Am, Sorry Pentax, You Told Me FF Was Coming

Ya, great way to help out our beloved brand... (look back at the threads and you will quickly see what I mean)
09-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
This forum does nothing but loop content (about Pentax releases and news that is first mentioned by a small handful of users here on the forums and doesn't pop up in the news section until hours later) and is only in place as a revenue stream for it's owner(s). Sorry to sound sour, but instead of spreading false rumors of hope (there is no hope, no one IN THE LOOP gave anybody any impression there was one coming out or in the works so again no hope at the moment) why not focus on spreading good things about the current lineup - these FF nonsense threads do nothing but "salt" Pentax/Ricoh.

- Wow, If PentaxForums Said So It Must Be True Because It Is A Pentax Site (when actually it is not a Pentax site, just a pentax user site)
- Wow I Can Do That With FF, Can't Wait Till It Comes Out Next Month Because I...NEED....ONE
- OMG, Pentax Did Not Come Out With One, Nikon Bound I Am, Sorry Pentax, You Told Me FF Was Coming

Ya, great way to help out our beloved brand... (look back at the threads and you will quickly see what I mean)

Very well put. I have been involved in the rumor mill since 1995 when Pentax discuss was started. In the old days Pentax leaked like a sieve; we had incredibly high placed sources. However, interpreting rumors is like unraveling ancient history from scant and unreliable sources; like finding the real King Arthur among the myths. Information may twisted and distorted and assumption added on the way.
I have no doubt that the rumors are in good faith but someone mention 24mp, FF might be an assumption added by a bringer of news, not a fact. Likewise, professional might not mean FF; it might mean MF Digital - the latter has definitive factual basis. Another case in point is the unrealistic price rumors for certain FF cameras and hence expectation (and bitter dissapointment should it materialize) of a likewise priced Pentax FF camera. An assumee price has been added to the entry level fact turning the price to a fact as well.
So show some restraint and realism; if you want an FF camera (or any other camera) buy it from those who makes one. I'm pretty sure Pentax will make an FF camera one day, but it should be clear that they are right now busy making the best APS lens line-up out there. They may add FF at a later date. Good way to start having you APS line covered; it represents after all the wast majorty of the DSLR market and will continue to do so.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 09-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.
09-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that Sony has the A99 and the FF RX-1 on the go, and that 24MP FF sensor, we'll have to see what proof-of-concpet Pentas has coming. I think it is in the works but has to wait for release until Sony and its big buyer Nikon blood the market first with their volume purchases.

What Sony did by releasing the RX1 and the A99 at the same price point (US$2,800 MSRP) is demonstrate that the body is not relevant to the supply issue; the sensor is. You can wrap pretty much anything around the sensor and it will cost x because of the constraint on sensor supply.

That's the FF environment Pentax is operating under. Rumour away.
09-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

+1 to this.
Other than generating more web hits by letting all the whining, mud slinging, 'smartie theories', conspiracies (on the pretext of 'free speech') go round and round, on and on, I just don't see as much positive energy when it comes to encouraging people to take up the brand.
I am starting to get disillusioned with this place being a PENTAX forum.
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds reasonable. the sensors are expensive because everyone wants the new 24 MP FF and we have limited supply. I wouldn't be surprised that Nikon had already ordered the entire year of production of the sensor, effectively locking everyone else out except for Sony.
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Haha, Simon. You bought your D700 and it's like the Pentax FF Koolaid just wore off, or something!
Yes, I believe Nikon supply lots of Raspberry Cordial with your 1st FF purchase.
Closed Thread