Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Pentax <all countries> should arrange with NHK to use out-takes from this report in their DSLR advertising. It's that good.

O-GPS1 and astrotracer gives Pentaxians something unique - Astrophotography made simple - no polar mount, no adaptors required, not even a tripod! My punch line would be:

"Try doing THAT with a Canikon!"

Last edited by Dave L; 09-14-2012 at 08:11 AM.
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Pentax <all countries> should arrange with NHK to use out-takes from this report in their DSLR advertising. It's that good.

O-GPS1 and astrotracer gives Pentaxians something unique - Astrophotography made simple - no polar mount, no adaptors required, not even a tripod! My punch line would be:

"Try doing THAT with a Canikon!"
Excellent points. I've put an O-GSS1 on my wish list because of that video. It takes a single AAA battery too from what I think I have found out. Overall it appears to be an elegant solution to star trails by coupling with the sensor movement technology in Pentax cameras that is unique. Apparently Olympus also moves their sensors but they do so in discrete steps while Pentax has a fluid, stepless, system that allows for minute and continuous movement of the sensory.
09-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

No, it takes lots of AAA batteries, one at a time Using rechargeables (Eneloops?) seems a very good idea.
Also, it's not apparent from that movie but there is a time limit, which is at most 5 minutes (much less with long lenses). The O-GPS1 cannot replace a good, motorized equatorial mount.
The advantages are already known: price and portability.

L.E. The 21mm doesn't seem adequate for the task, with quite extreme coma in the corners

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-14-2012 at 01:26 PM.
09-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
The O-GPS1 unit is indeed a very worth unit. I've got some very interesting results with the couple K-5/DA200:
Astrophotography with GPS O-1 !: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review