Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Astrotracer O-GPS1 Featured on TV worldwide today/tomorrow

Well, it's relatively rare for Pentax to get any media attention, so I thought it was worth mentioning that the NHK World program "Great Gear" is, in their current episode, doing a segment on Pentax's O-GPS1 astrotracer. NHK World is a satellite channel worldwide, so you may well be able to catch it, as it will be on a few times in the next 20 hours. The lineup is viewable here:

NHK WORLD TV | TV Schedule

In some countries, you should be able to watch it online here:

jibtv.com : Japan Live TV - OnAir:About Programs

and if not, they will post in online here sometime in the next week:

NHK WORLD TV | Great Gear

09-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find, thanks for posting it.
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #3

went to set it to record and was a program on about a city hit by the tsunami - you saw the devastation when it happened but its sobering to realize that things are still bad and that a full or even partial recovery is still long way off - in this day and age you kinda expect that things should be fixed quickly, sadly not the case
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Thanks, I'll record it.

09-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

We need more threads like this.
09-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks. Just watched the episode on the internet link - very nice. Excellent description of the device, how it works, why the Pentax SR technology at the heart of it makes it possible, and a good, brief, overview of how to set up the unit. Several photos were shown taken with a K-5 and they were left on screen long enough to really appreciate the details they contain. Excellent program, thank you.
09-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

I agree, I saw it too and it made excellent publicity for Pentax. It certainly made the decision to go for in-camera shake reduction look good, which they explained and demonstrated nicely.

Nice too to see the interviews with development technicians Koichi Iida and others, they are astrophotography enthusiasts so it looks like Astrotracer is a labour of love.

I should think there will be a nice little Worldwide boost in sales of this device this week!

Last edited by Dave L; 09-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.
09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. Just watched the episode on the internet link - very nice. Excellent description of the device, how it works, why the Pentax SR technology at the heart of it makes it possible, and a good, brief, overview of how to set up the unit. Several photos were shown taken with a K-5 and they were left on screen long enough to really appreciate the details they contain. Excellent program, thank you.
Could you share that link? Thanks

09-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Could you share that link? Thanks

It's a live link so whatever show is currently on will appear. I reviewed the online schedule and just happened to catch the show this morning at the 7:30 ET time.
09-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's a live link so whatever show is currently on will appear. I reviewed the online schedule and just happened to catch the show this morning at the 7:30 ET time.
Gaaaaah Ok - I will see what I can do, thanks!
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Gaaaaah Ok - I will see what I can do, thanks!
If not it will be posted at the final link I gave sometime within the week. I agree; it was a nicely done piece (the K-5 with DA21Ltd looked very sexy too), and it was good to see some Pentax engineers talking on camera.
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
If not it will be posted at the final link I gave sometime within the week. I agree; it was a nicely done piece (the K-5 with DA21Ltd looked very sexy too), and it was good to see some Pentax engineers talking on camera.
I agree. The engineers seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the O-GPS1 and they said that several of them are avid astrophotographers as I recall. The director of product development seemed a bit...stiff...but the actual engineers seemed to laughing and smiling as they explained and talked about the products. It would be nice to get some of that positive enthusiasm for Pentax here in the US among the marketing folks.
09-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would be nice to get some of that positive enthusiasm for Pentax here in the US among the marketing folks.
Heck, it would be nice if Pentax USA even noticed that a english-language show available in the States was featuring Pentax....
09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Heck, it would be nice if Pentax USA even noticed that a english-language show available in the States was featuring Pentax....
Ya think!? I wonder if Pentax Canada has noticed? They seem to be more on the ball in my experience.
09-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well i would place more asrtopictures. But it's good promotion where Pentax has unique offer. Nice done.