Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Wifi grip on the Samsung GX-20 (Pentax preferred not to give us Wifi so the K20D can be higher priced), uses a small 3" USB cable between the grip, and opening the GX-20 door to its USB port.

A cord is involved. I wonder if the need for this cord would allow Wifi on the GX-10 as well, since the non Wifi grip fits the GX-20 as well (and the K20D only has the old non-Wifi K10D grip available for it).

By the way, this picture of the GX-20 & grip was taken with the new Nikon D60 at ISO 1600 at a -0.67 stop EC, however impressive the lack of noise is.
man Oh man is that ever a Rube Goldgerg approach. No way would I use a setup like that .. looks like someone made that in there garage ... very poor. To use a cable and have a camera door OPEN .... who designed this, Peter Sellers ?

wll

02-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The external cable approach is lame, lame, LAME. So much for weather seals with the door on the camera open. Looks more like a cheap after thought than a functional production design. Imagine how happy you would be to snag the door and break it off its hinges as you stuff it into your bag or catch it on your jacket.
02-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Again, I don't understand this.

Is the cable approach nice? Heck, no. But knowing most of the time such a setup is to be used in a studio, frankly why do you guys give a s**t about the cable as long as the job is done well?

If one need that kind of solution, why not?
02-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #19

Lol, i want text with mah buttonz!

3rd party.

I guess it works though, so for those that desperately need wifi (which I don't, i see it as another 'feature'.. but ofcourse some ppl would hugely benefit i'm not the one to argue...) it would be a real help!

Did anybody also notice mutley's neat little backstab to pentax there? Which was, ofcourse, uncalled for and, since the grip is 3rd party, not relevant.

02-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3rd Party?

I believe this is a prototype Samsung grip.

Is Samsung the third party you're referring to?

The weather-sealing argument seems ridiculous. Is this a feature anyone would really use in a rainstorm?

I personally have no use for Wi-Fi at this time, but can't help but think that if this was a Pentax camera, there would be some crowing about Pentax's major breakthrough.
02-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Did anybody also notice mutley's neat little backstab to pentax there? Which was, ofcourse, uncalled for and, since the grip is 3rd party, not relevant.
Who? Oh no, I didn't notice, he' blocked.
02-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

The weather-sealing argument seems ridiculous. Is this a feature anyone would really use in a rainstorm?

I personally have no use for Wi-Fi at this time, but can't help but think that if this was a Pentax camera, there would be some crowing about Pentax's major breakthrough.
I totally agree.
02-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not to sure but wouldn't this be really slow if shooting RAW anyway? It's great for someone shooting still life shots or indoor portrait work. But I would expect it to have a very slow data transfer.

Plus I don't like the idea of leaving the door open to potentially break. Should boost sales to a few though.

02-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

Is the cable approach nice? Heck, no. But knowing most of the time such a setup is to be used in a studio, frankly why do you guys give a s**t about the cable as long as the job is done well?

True. People have been asking for more and more features, and now that Samsung has included a bit of extra in their grip, people start complaining about how the solution looks. I'd rather have *functionality* than a good-looking camera without an extra feature.

I agree also about the setup being intended for studio work and *not* for some outdoor hiking trip in the rain.

I agree with you Tom.
02-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Actually, I think Pentax would be criticized for spending one cent of the R&D in this rather than a totally revamped AF and a screaming fps .
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
?....

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
There goes your weathersealing... course, I can't really think of a time when you'd need both weather sealing and wifi.
ourside shooting reportage for hours in the rain with your laptop in your camerbag. Would be VERY handy, if not essential.

Cheers,
Cameron
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
ourside shooting reportage for hours in the rain with your laptop in your camerbag. Would be VERY handy, if not essential.
Yeah I thought about that. Moreover, it could prevent any storage problem, as long as your hard drive isn't full

That said, I still think the wifi grip is nice. It is a hack but then ist-Ds/K100D bettery grips are too and most people consider them good things so why no wifi grip...

Ideally it should boast GPS capability as well
02-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

is like " if the camera is ugly i don't use it" c'mon!! say that pentax is lame to not give us the same choice if we want to have a Wi-Fi feature. I want it and i'll buy it!
02-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #29
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, I think Pentax would be criticized for spending one cent of the R&D in this rather than a totally revamped AF and a screaming fps .
I completely agree with whoever's saying that. IMO, fast fps would be MUCH nicer than an available WiFi grip.
02-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
I completely agree with whoever's saying that. IMO, fast fps would be MUCH nicer than an available WiFi grip.
Agreed.

However, I'm curious if you could use the Samsung grip on the Pentax as a wifi transmitter if you only hooked up the cable? (not that I'm willing to buy a samsung grip to try it out).