Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Agreed.

However, I'm curious if you could use the Samsung grip on the Pentax as a wifi transmitter if you only hooked up the cable? (not that I'm willing to buy a samsung grip to try it out).
My understanding is that it would probably be usable, but because of different body contours, you would lose weathersealing.

02-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
[QUOTE=JMS;171489]

However, I'm curious if you could use the Samsung grip on the Pentax as a wifi transmitter if you only hooked up the cable? (not that I'm willing to buy a samsung grip to try it out).
But I'm sure you know there's really no common development and cost issue between those right?

Making a grip, especially one using a hack like that one is rather easy to make. Not sure it even requires adapted firmware.
AF and FPS is another matter, not that it is useless but comparing those two is either stupid or full of trollness.
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
My understanding is that it would probably be usable, but because of different body contours, you would lose weathersealing.
That would be good. I don't nessessarily have a use for it, but it's nice to know the options are there

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But I'm sure you know there's really no common development and cost issue between those right?
That would go without saying. The point that I agreed to is I'd rather Pentax worked on FPS as opposed to little afterthoughts like this.
Making a grip, especially one using a hack like that one is rather easy to make. Not sure it even requires adapted firmware.
Probably not. Just idle curiosity.
AF and FPS is another matter, not that it is useless but comparing those two is either stupid or full of trollness.
No comparison was made...that I directly responded to anyway. I was agreeing with where I'd prefer R&D would best be spent (to suit my needs).

Your comment ".....stupid or full of Trollness" seems to have a certain hypocritical ring to it.
02-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Your comment ".....stupid or full of Trollness" seems to have a certain hypocritical ring to it.
I'd never do this

Sorry if you made no comparison, it really sounded like it. So many people actually making a comparison

02-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Wifi grip on the Samsung GX-20 (Pentax preferred not to give us Wifi so the K20D can be higher priced), uses a small 3" USB cable between the grip, and opening the GX-20 door to its USB port.
The Wifi grip is additional, it does not come as standard equipment.
It wouldn't surprise me if Pentax releases a new version of their battery grip with Wifi, it has just not been announced yet. No weather sealing with Wifi-function, but then it is for transferring images to the computer wirelessly and few computers are weathersealed... strictly for studio work then.
Not a bad thing for some I guess...
And no, I don't expect the GX-20 grip to fit the K20D. The GX-10 and K10D can't use the same grip, so why would the GX-20 and K20D?
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
And no, I don't expect the GX-20 grip to fit the K20D. The GX-10 and K10D can't use the same grip, so why would the GX-20 and K20D?
Only because of very little physical dimensions which can be "dremeled out" fairly easily if that's your cup of tea. Otherwise the grips are identical.