Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Ben.....

Since there seems to be rumors that Pentax had at least 2 working prototype 645D's did you ever get to try it???? Did you ever ask????
Just idol curiosity........

02-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Since there seems to be rumors that Pentax had at least 2 working prototype 645D's did you ever get to try it???? Did you ever ask????
Just idol curiosity........
I can't answer that question...It is not something that I can address at this time.

Have a Great Week End..

Ben
02-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #3

A new NDA, and more tight than ever, is this?

I really think the 645D will depend on success of K2**D series...
02-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I can't answer that question...It is not something that I can address at this time...
Sounds like a yes...

02-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or a no. Seems to me, many of us like to get even the little tidbits of Ben's hands on experiences. But only a certain limited few, not long ago made comments that were not that complimentary (I'm being diplomatic) after the launch.

I know if I were Ben, I'd not be very eager to share much for awhile. He might just like to stay away from this type of future speculation and avoid the potential trash talk.
02-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

Ben, Just a Note !

I can't answer that question...It is not something that I can address at this time.

Have a Great Week End..

Ben
Ben, I just hope that if they are working on the D645, that it has a rotating LCD. For studio stuff, tabletop, product shots, etc it would be a great benifit. Remember composing on a Hassy screen?

WiFi or a good tethering program .... It's important to see the image on the big screen right away. (WiFi would be much better as no cords are involved)

These thing would save me lots of time in the studio.

Thanks,

wll
02-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Or a no. Seems to me, many of us like to get even the little tidbits of Ben's hands on experiences. But only a certain limited few, not long ago made comments that were not that complimentary (I'm being diplomatic) after the launch.

I know if I were Ben, I'd not be very eager to share much for awhile. He might just like to stay away from this type of future speculation and avoid the potential trash talk.
As fun as it is to speculate and hope, you really hit the nail on the head. Its just like in politics, these statements can easily go either way in the grand scheme of things. Some people need to learn to filter "diplomatic language" a bit better and not jump at every possible tiny thing someone says thinking it is a harbinger of what is to come.

Just my 2 cents

02-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Well said, and I feel the same way. Unfortunately most of the camera forums become a venue for too much speculation and/or negativity when announcements are pending or just released.

I admit I am interested in the latest too, but I'd rather learn to work within the camera's limitations (they all have issues, regardless of manufacturer). Better to try to master the tools instead of complaining about it.

(Jeff, my apologies - not my intent to hijack the OP in any way... )

Regards,
Marc
02-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Have a Great Week End..

Ben
Fair enough. Actually didn't think it would be a hot button since all public reports said at one time it was ready to go at one point. . A release of a 645D doesn't really matter much to me. I'd never buy one. Barely can afford a K20 at this point. Funny if the 645D was branded Samsung though, which in my current mind is the route it may go........
Anyways thanks and you too
02-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #10

The 645D situation is a touchy one. But Ben caring about negative feedback? Gimme a break. I don't think Ben would even reply to this thread if he was afraid of the negativity. He's a grown man. C'mon. He dropped Canon for Pentax. If he cared for negative responses, he would've stopped shooting then. He doesn't care about negativity. Why even go there?

Anyway, I used to say I would never even think about a medium format digital camera. But now that I think about it... if I purchased this 645D for... let's just imagine... $5000, it would be the very last camera system I'd ever buy. I'd be shooting with it years and years from now. Maybe 15 or 20, if technology doesn't leave the 645D technology behind and it's file formats are no longer supported. So for me, that is something to think about... in the long run. But then again, that might be the same reason Pentax is holding back.

I wonder what the product lifespan will be for a digital medium format camera...
02-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
WiFi or a good tethering program .... It's important to see the image on the big screen right away. (WiFi would be much better as no cords are involved)
Wifi grip on the Samsung GX-20 (Pentax preferred not to give us Wifi so the K20D can be higher priced), uses a small 3" USB cable between the grip, and opening the GX-20 door to its USB port.

A cord is involved. I wonder if the need for this cord would allow Wifi on the GX-10 as well, since the non Wifi grip fits the GX-20 as well (and the K20D only has the old non-Wifi K10D grip available for it).

By the way, this picture of the GX-20 & grip was taken with the new Nikon D60 at ISO 1600 at a -0.67 stop EC, however impressive the lack of noise is.

Last edited by mutley; 02-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.
02-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There goes your weathersealing... course, I can't really think of a time when you'd need both weather sealing and wifi.
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
and
Veteran Member

errr not really a nice solution with the cable going into the body there, looks more like a third party addon than the real thing. The problem is they kept so much from the k10d including the grip and the grip connector so assuming the old connector doesnt have any free pins for data transfer so you cant make any new accessory grips for it. They would have to make a new, more flexible connector to allow for more interesting addon grips.
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The question is, would this work on the k20d? I figure they're using the microUSB port, the same way you would if the camera was tethered to a computer running remote assistant.
02-03-2008, 02:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If that's how they did it, it will probably work on the K20D too (and possibly the K10D?). Looks like the WiFi grip just does the same as the Pentax remote software would do when you attach a PC to your camera through USB?

Anyone willing to try this when available?

Wim