Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #76
Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, while manual focus, does have electrical connections that allow for metering on some mounts - notably Pentax's K-mount. It would be nice if that were the case with this lens. Manual focus isn't that big a deal with Ultra-wide angle lenses.

12-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It will be on sale next year. April 2013. The price is ~1000 USD.
$1000?!#@**^$$$!!! Moan.
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #78
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
$1000?!#@**^$$$!!! Moan.
Compare with TS lenses from Nikon and Canon.
24mm f/3.5L and Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D
2000 USD

17mm f/4L - 2300 USD
12-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Compare with TS lenses from Nikon and Canon.
24mm f/3.5L and Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D
2000 USD

17mm f/4L - 2300 USD
OK. Complex lens made in limited numbers, but thinking back to what I paid for a Canon 24TS in the old breech mount, however that mount was by then obsolete, and the lens was used. Tricky to use, but excellent quality and could get shots, esp. landscapes, impossible to obtain with other lenses. Nevertheless, it was a pain to carry a Canon body in addition to the Pentax equipment just to have than lens available.

12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #80
Inactive Account

It's kinda funny that by 70s-80s standards the Sammy lenses would have been considered very cheap, crudely made. By today's standards the build quality gets rated as 'good', yet you have to adjust infinity focus for yourself, there seems to be no QC! (IQ is great once you do..)
12-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #81
Forum Member

Pentax 12mm f/2 would beat the Samyang

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wonder why they opted for a f2.8 instead of a f4 with this lens. Yes you lose a stop, but really who would want to use a lens this wide at f2.8?? I would trade the extra stop for a smaller package. But yes this is very intriguing, a lens that pentax should've done a while ago.
Amen to your comment on Pentax losing it's way with the prime market.

Personally, I'm more interested in this than the 8-16. While the 8-16 seems to be a very sharp lens, I'm very interested in doing low-light/night time landscape photography and the f/2.8 speed will offer much more photographic expression than going a few degrees wider.

IMO, Pentax should make a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR. Now that would command attention!

Hopefully this Samyang is <$350. However, for excellent optics - in particular the MTF resolution and contrast - I would pay $600+.
12-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #82
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dmytty Quote
Amen to your comment on Pentax losing it's way with the prime market.

Personally, I'm more interested in this than the 8-16. While the 8-16 seems to be a very sharp lens, I'm very interested in doing low-light/night time landscape photography and the f/2.8 speed will offer much more photographic expression than going a few degrees wider.

IMO, Pentax should make a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR. Now that would command attention!

Hopefully this Samyang is <$350. However, for excellent optics - in particular the MTF resolution and contrast - I would pay $600+.
There is a better chance of Pentax coming out with a FF DSLR than a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR IMHO.

12-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
There is a better chance of Pentax coming out with a FF DSLR than a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR IMHO.
Cold. That was just cold.
12-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #84
Forum Member

Heres an update on this lens, pasted from email exchange with samyang mgmt:

Please refer to our comments below.

A few questions:Is the 'end of 2013 availability' the current forecast?
==> Yes it is

Are you still committed to releasing the 10mm f/2.8 prime for Pentax K mount?
==> Yes, 10mm F2.8 lens will be available for Pentax mount

Will Pentax K mount be delayed when compared to Canon, Nikon?
=> No, all the mounts (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax ...etc) will be released same time.

So...Q4 2013 at earliest. The lens is still in development.

Last edited by dmytty; 12-21-2012 at 12:12 AM.
12-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #85

Heres an update on this lens, pasted from email exchange with samyang mgmt:

Please refer to our comments below.

A few questions:Is the 'end of 2013 availability' the current forecast?
==> Yes it is

Are you still committed to releasing the 10mm f/2.8 prime for Pentax K mount?
==> Yes, 10mm F2.8 lens will be available for Pentax mount

Will Pentax K mount be delayed when compared to Canon, Nikon?
=> No, all the mounts (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax ...etc) will be released same time.

So...Q4 2013 at earliest. The lens is still in development.
Thank you for this update. I'm glad to hear that it is still going to be released in K-mount and I'm hoping for a speedy conclusion to development.

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
That's too bad. I'm selling all my gear, because I demand Pentax make me a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR that retails for $30 and I need it next week.
12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
$1000?!#@**^$$$!!! Moan.
It will not be $1000.
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
Thank you for this update. I'm glad to hear that it is still going to be released in K-mount and I'm hoping for a speedy conclusion to development.

That's too bad. I'm selling all my gear, because I demand Pentax make me a 12mm f/2 prime DA* WR that retails for $30 and I need it next week.
If you're implying that a 12mm f/2 prime for APS-C is difficult to make, might I direct you to review existing lenses? The Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 is weather-sealed, full frame and costs $2000. Sigma's 8-16 at f/4.5 would be about ~2.3 stops slower than the theoretical lens, but also significantly wider, and is an excellent lens at $600.

I would submit that existing lenses show very well the feasibility of a <$1000 manual focus APS-C lens shooting at f/2. If lens manufacturers would implement an alternative to leaf apertures, it might even be more compact (~10-15% smaller diameter).

Beyond that, 12mm f/2 is not challenging the laws of physics by an means. If you suggest otherwise, please lay out your reasoning.

P.S. You might review my other posts to see the level of discussion and calculation that I'm willing to engage in.
12-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #88

If you're implying that a 12mm f/2 prime for APS-C is difficult to make, might I direct you to review existing lenses? The Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 is weather-sealed, full frame and costs $2000. Sigma's 8-16 at f/4.5 would be about ~2.3 stops slower than the theoretical lens, but also significantly wider, and is an excellent lens at $600.

I would submit that existing lenses show very well the feasibility of a <$1000 manual focus APS-C lens shooting at f/2. If lens manufacturers would implement an alternative to leaf apertures, it might even be more compact (~10-15% smaller diameter).

Beyond that, 12mm f/2 is not challenging the laws of physics by an means. If you suggest otherwise, please lay out your reasoning.

P.S. You might review my other posts to see the level of discussion and calculation that I'm willing to engage in.
I suspect you're reading much more into this than it merits. My comments are intended as a tongue in cheek reference to the numerous Pentax full-frame threads, which always seem to culminate with someone calling for an announcement in short order or they are selling out and moving on. Nothing more.
12-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I suspect you're reading much more into this than it merits. My comments are intended as a tongue in cheek reference to the numerous Pentax full-frame threads, which always seem to culminate with someone calling for an announcement in short order or they are selling out and moving on. Nothing more.
If Pentax doesn't immediately force Sanyang to release this lens for a sub $100 price, I'm going to leave in a huff! Also, this release is being pressured to coincide with the release of a FF body, that has a new mount allowing it to be 0.5mm thick, and will cost $45. Pentax claims it will also release a K mount adapter, but actually they have no such adapter planed, and if they did it would cost too much, be too big, contain too much/few of the thingies everyone needs, and it would be a crippled mount, which we all know is simply unacceptable. :P
12-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #90
ogl
Banned

It will not be $1000.
Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Pentax K
http://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8...mc_pentax_k%2F