Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macroguy Quote
Not very bright outlook for Pentax, bunch of repackaged old products while overyone else is moving full steam ahead.
Your forgetting the K30, most exciting new APS-C DSLR so far this year

09-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I can see you are a very positive person. That's good as we need more like you to help us the <negative> folks to go past this Photokina...
09-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

several new lenses and 2 new (upgraded) cameras, why isn't that exciting?
Because it proves Pentax is still very much trying to play catchup, but getting further behind.
09-17-2012, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No matter to you folks but I am taking all rumors & reports off my reading list. I can take neither rumors nor doom saying any longer. I hope a few more of you choose to step away and take pictures, it will do all of us good!

09-17-2012, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
several new lenses and 2 new (upgraded) cameras, why isn't that exciting?
In "exciting" I means something "different".
Canon, Nikon has the "entry-level" FF camera, D600 and D6;
Sony has the FF mirrorless, RX1.
"Big announcement" coming for Leica and Hassy ($6000 645 system).

and a bunch of slick looking lenses from Oly.

The "9 announcements" fade in comparison. But hey..... such is the fate Pentaxian endured all these years.
09-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
OMG Pentax is starting to lag behind the rest more and more. This is starting to become very bad. Embarrassing even.
There presumably wasn't really a great reason for Hoya to surge ahead with R+D after the terms of sale were given.
09-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"Big announcement" coming for Leica and Hassy ($6000 645 system).
I'll believe that when I see it. Or did you forget a zero?

09-17-2012, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
CDW
Site Supporter

I like new toys (audio & video gear, camera gear) as much as anyone but here are some thoughts, for what they're worth.

The existing K5 is a great camera. The sensor is still state of the art, still being used by Pentax, Nikon and SONY. The K5 delivers great pics, still has among the very best dynamic range available. The list could go on about the areas in which it excels. Do I wish Pentax would release a 20-24 meg FF? Yes, but not if it's something like Canon announced with the 6D or Nikon 600. When the time does come Pentax needs to release a FF that is professional in the same sense the 645D is professional. If reviews demonstrate the K52 without the AA filter performs as I suspect it may (that is to say, delivering images the equal of the FF entry level Canons and Nikons) I may upgrade. Until that time, I'll wait and continue to happily use my K5 or when the situation warrants, my 645D.
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The problem is after this year, the term "APS-C DSLR" has officially been downgraded to a patently consumer format.

I very much doubt there will ever be a 7Dmk II or a D400.
09-17-2012, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What a let down... Pentax is surely doomed as the competition surges ahead. This time it's for real.
I'd (at least) wait for Ricoh to dig-in before calling it.

TBH. I didn't expect anything major this year considering the recent acquisition. And so I guess we could always conclude it could be worst. Though I will admit, that staying positive may not be easy as Pentax takes the time to reorganize to start showing signs of life again. To which I'd add, I'm going to say; 2 years. That's my guess as to the amount of time the company will need to regain composure and show the effects of the acquisition. Could be sooner! But I'd rather take the conservative approach myself.

Anyways, on the K-3 front, the camera would have had of been designed prior too the acquisition. Though I get the feeling that things weren't far enough along to sustain development. Then again... I've said it before and I do maintain, that it is better for Pentax to hold-out than to pull another K20D -> K-7 debacle.

Anyways, at least the K-5 is still competitive!
And so there's that to consider.
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Falk, thanks for reporting from the site. But all this would've been a letdown, if anybody was expecting some surprise. Not even on roadmap? Wow.
09-17-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #27

Maybe they are keeping their cards very close to their chests.. This is word of mouth still . Photokina is not officially open till tomorrow.. Maybe Pentax has a surprise still If not .. K5 mkII s for me!!
09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Nice track record

Yes, I'll bet the personnel manning the Pentax booth just couldn't wait to spill the beans to the man who declared at the previous photokina two years ago that Pentax had discontinued the Limited line of lenses. NOT! Ouch.
09-17-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
- no K-3 (at Photokina)
- no Full frame on the roadmap as far as Germany is aware of
- no 645D-II (at Photokina)
So, K-3 and 645DII likely will be announced at CP+ 2013: CP+ CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW 2013
Probably, there are prototypes of these cameras behind the scenes already at Photokina.
What did Pentax USA (not) know about FF?
Impressions about the 560/5.6?
More information about the AF module inside the 5II (f2.8 sensor[s])?
Is it true that the naming 5N was not used due to a possibly problematic "Ns" abbreviation in 5Ns?

Last but not least: Have fun!
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
-> Falk Lumo: Photokina 2012: First Impressions

I'll post more after the break (the break is Leica's VIP event tonight).

From Pentax, there are the nice announcements we have heard about (K-5II, K-5IIs, Q10, 560/5.6 etc. They confined to me:

- no K-3 (at Photokina)
- no Full frame on the roadmap as far as Germany is aware of
- no 645D-II (at Photokina)

The K-5II will ship in time for the Xmas season.
Would you mind asking official information about the sensitivity of the k-30 sensors? Are they f5.6 or f2.8?