Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #76

I just picked up this from the Spanish Site

Habrá Pentax K-3 Full Frame en Photokina?

My spanish is rubbish but is this trying to build our hopes up or dashing them down again until next year?

09-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I get the impression you go around picking posts apart as I have read posts from you before. Why do I have to make this simple again? If there is going to be a thirty something MP APS-C sensor from Sony in two years then why would someone need 40 MPs? I think you would agree the lens is more important than the camera.
Because it is not about mega-pixels. I think you are missing the point. Megapixels is just one small part of the equation. For certain work a 36MP FF can compete with MF, but people who shoot MF typically do so because they print large. For people who don't print large there is no reason to use MF. For people who shoot for a living, especially commercial work, then MF pays for itself. If it didn't you would not have seen a waiting list for the 645D. There have already been prototype MF CMOS sensors shown. It is only a matter of time before that technology makes its way into production MF bodies and we see MF get cheaper and much more flexible. Because of the size and weight of the bodies I think MF has the most to gain from mirror-less design. We have already seen a Samsung prototype and Hassy has one rumored to be under development. Companies are not putting millions into a market segment they think is going to be obsolete. Both the Leica S3 (2 new lenses) and Pentax 645D should be updated in the very near future.

I will agree that the lens is more important than the camera in many ways. You have to have very, very good glass on an APS-C if you want to compete with FF and large prints. Why do you think Olympus SHG glass is bigger, heavier, & more expensive than the FF Canon or Nikon equivalent? If crop sensors are going to compete with FF or MF then they need really, really good glass.
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raileconomics Quote
I just picked up this from the Spanish Site

Habrá Pentax K-3 Full Frame en Photokina?

My spanish is rubbish but is this trying to build our hopes up or dashing them down again until next year?
Yes. SATSQ.
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #79
Forum Member

Despite the pessimistic reaction from some people.. look under the hood and actually is it REALLY that bad?

ONE new camera from Canon - that means they are at a minimum in 3rd place in real world APS-C performance.

Similarly just one from Nikon, and full frame so status quo from them in APS-C.

Which means that potentially the best APS-C camera continues to come from Pentax and IF the AF performance is as good as they advertise it's potentially noticeably better.

No FF is disappointing in terms of pushing for the top tier BUT with good marketting ( where Pentax have been weak ) they definitely have a product range that won't loose ground.

For 95% of Sony/Pentax/Nikon photographers, honestly FF isn't needed. What does FF give you? Essentially better high ISO performance... but the current Sony sensor is pretty awesome there...

So why exactly is FF so important? I really don't know!!!

09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
because the high-end has moved on from APS-C DSLRs.
Where, towards entry level DSLRs with a so-called FF sensor?

This was a decent year for Pentax, two cameras - the very competitive K-30 and the stop gap K-5 II, few lenses including the long awaited 560mm and that's less than one year since they got rid of Hoya's shackles. I see no reason for complaining.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think we can summarize the thread positively this way:

1) Pentax updates arguably the best APS-C camera out there with better AF (as requested by many on this forum).
2) Pentax releases a few new lenses
3) Pentax updates their Q line - showing they haven't abandoned that group
4) Pentax releases their K-Q adapter - which they promised
5) Ricoh had only a year of control of Pentax. Give them half a year more to make announcements, and a full year to actually bring stuff to the table.
6) Hoya sucks.

I miss anything?
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having owned virtually every camera that Nikon and Canon has produced up until 2 years ago it seems to me that I am supposed to buy into the "I need a new camera every year" trap. No. I am not disappointed in Pentax. There is nothing wrong with my k-r and while my K-5 may exhibit some AF issues from time to time THAT makes me think back to when I had my MkIII which had the mirror "FIX" but still exhibited blatant problems. Why all of this doom and gloom? Would you folks be happy if Pentax cranked out a new APS-c camera every 6 months? Sheesh, let's all just go out and shoot!

09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think we can summarize the thread positively this way:

1) Pentax updates arguably the best APS-C camera out there with better AF (as requested by many on this forum).
2) Pentax releases a few new lenses
3) Pentax updates their Q line - showing they haven't abandoned that group
4) Pentax releases their K-Q adapter - which they promised
5) Ricoh had only a year of control of Pentax. Give them half a year more to make announcements, and a full year to actually bring stuff to the table.
6) Hoya sucks.

I miss anything?
Yes, Hoya does suck!
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
[B]Truth is, noone really knows how many FF cameras will be purchased in these new campaigns,.
We do. Less than one in twenty buy DSLR's at $2000 or above...
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my K-5 less than 6 months ago and added a Pentax Q a few weeks ago. It will take me quite a while to master the two of them and maybe NEVER to feel that I have outgrown them. I could care less what my neighbor's camera (or car) is. I buy for me. If Pentax isn't making a new body that makes you want to pull out your billfold and you are dying to spend some money or get something new, I suggest upgrading your glass (or discovering the fun of legacy manual focus glass). Getting good glass (especially full frame glass) will make you feel smarter when Pentax does release a FF. In any event, it won't be worth much less than it is today (and may appreciate in value).

I've got a nice selection of screw mount Takumars, and now have AF glass from 10mm (Sigma EX 10-20mm f4-5.6) up through 500mm (Sigma EX 50-500mm "Bigma") with a couple of nice primes Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 Macro and Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 macro. I feel well positioned to keep myself occupied with photography and not worry about camera body acquisitions for a couple of years, at the very least.
09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it? Lets wait for the APS-C 7DMKII and the D400 before you say that. I think you'll be waiting for a very long time.

Then they will be met with the K-3 (or whatever it is called)

And why would the 7DII and the D400 come out? Isn't high end APS dead?
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
because it makes the size, complexity and weight of high-end DSLRs worth it. there are now several faster, smaller and cheaper alternatives to APS-C DSLRs with similar image quality. for the many users who still love OVFs and SLR ergonomics, there are also plenty of excellent smaller, midrange APS-C DSLRs with advanced features like dual dials, including the K30. if anything, the improvements in the K5II are still an attempt at catching up with the firmly last generation 7D and D7000; absolutely nothing to do with the cameras announced this year.
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Then they will be met with the K-3 (or whatever it is called)

And why would the 7DII and the D400 come out? Isn't high end APS dead?
correct, they won''t be coming out. congratulations, you finally got my point.
09-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

correct, they won''t be coming out. congratulations, you finally got my point.
That would be great new for Pentax as they would have the market for themselves. Fat chance though. The Canon 7D has been one of Canon's greatest sucesses and I'm sure they will make a follow up. If something stays long in the market might be because it sells..
09-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
FF has wider angles if your really needing those extra mm for wide angle photography