Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
what about 4/3 system.
I think its the other big front that APS-C DSLRs have to fight. I think it's the main reason Nikon and Canon both concluded they had to bring FF to a lower level at the same exact time . Think about that for a second. whens the last time Nikon and Canon did anything in *lock step*?

FF is the greatest weapon the SLR has against the high-tech mirrorless onslaught that finally reached parity with APS-C this year. like i've said before, you want a small, tough, weathersealed 16mp camera with great AF and a variety of small, high quality lenses? why not get an OM-D or GH3 over the K30 or K5? what you lose in the OVF you gain with a swivel screen and a smaller size and weight.

the landscape has changed, and Pentax still hasn't changed enough.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-17-2012 at 07:54 PM.
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #137
Pentaxian

My goodness all I see here is doom and gloom and more doom and more gloom.

I guess I have a different perspective on things (due to experience and other things) but I don't see any real reason to be all doom and gloom.

In my opinion Pentax' main problem is they have spotty coverage and spotty marketshare in a hodge podge of contries, which they master none and aren't making inroads into the biggest markets of them all. They don't even seem to have a viable network of resellers in the prime market of consumer goods...

Basically put, they are in dire need of a marketing makeover, they need a new and better sales force, and they sure to heck need more advertising and for all of that to be done in a more even keeled manner.

Any decision to create or release anything has to be justified financially which a lot of that is sheer broader economic (ie world economy) related.

Also Ricoh has only been in control 'how long'? Not very long. Not surprising at all that this year's releases are all 'legacy' products....

A lot of the 'needs to be done' stuff is not 'tangible' things but more like projecting 'power' into the camera market through a variety of means...

What I would venture to say is first off, the release of a FF is dependent on the economic situation....but I would also see the roadmap as being something along the line of pumping the brand, pushing it, advertising it, getting it shelf space, and making inroads....which I believe they can do. It will be a competitive market place, but I can see Pentax DSLRs being carried by major retailers and then in the midst of this 'pumping up' comes the FF camera.

If they are going to head that direction there needs to be some serious pre release legwork before they do in order to make it a successful release. I would say they have at very least a solid 2-3 year turn around plan in place right now...

They will slowly release various full frame lenses quietly and slowly over time...and then in the midst of the 'pump up' of the brand THEN they will release FF. To do it now is simply not logical. Yeah, we want it. I would buy one. But its not logical in a business sense.

If I had access (and time) I would be interested to do a full blown financial model of the DSLR market and the players therein...

I see good things being on the way, but asking when exactly there will be a FF is about like people asking me 'when are you gonna get married'? Its on the way at some point, but I gotta get it right before I jump in.

Everything from Pentax' relationship with major retailers, to advertising, to a great big charm offense so on and so forth needs to happen before FF...but those things can happen at the same time if things warrant it.

I just simply have a different view that many of you... I think Pentax is positioning itself well for major expansion....
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #138
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
like i've said before, you want a small, tough, weathersealed 16mp camera with great AF and a variety of small, high quality lenses? why not get an OM-D or GH3 over the K30 or K5? what you lose in the OVF you gain with a swivel screen and a smaller size and weight.

the landscape has changed, and Pentax still hasn't changed enough.

But I don't want a swivel screen and smaller size and weight on anything but a P+S. I do want a similar size and weight of a K-30 and the OVF though on my SLR camera.
09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But I don't want a swivel screen and smaller size and weight on anything but a P+S. I do want a similar size and weight of a K-30 and the OVF though on my SLR camera.
and you're not alone, but then, why pay more for the K5II?

if its for the improved AF, there are still likely better options out there.

09-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #140
mee
Veteran Member

Exactly.
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
No matter to you folks but I am taking all rumors & reports off my reading list. I can take neither rumors nor doom saying any longer. I hope a few more of you choose to step away and take pictures, it will do all of us good!
Have to agree with this.
The K-3 was an April Fools joke, and how the 645D has worked its way into rumours is beyond me.
All of this wanting to believe in a product that doesn't even exist isn't doing anyone any good.

Let it go people. What there is has been announced.
See what next year brings us.

I suppose I'll have to struggle on with a K10, K-5, and woe is me, even an ME.
09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Thanks for keeping us updated.

While I don't find any of the Pentax announcements super exciting and I probably won't be purchasing any of them, it is nice to see that they have listened to something we've been complaining about - AF. And hopefully it performs as well as they make it seem.

You guys expect too much... get out there and take some photos, enjoy your Pentax gear, appreciate what you have. Forget about the technological/FF/MP race because every year is the same thing and today's newest hottest cameras will be dated by next year.

09-17-2012, 10:25 PM - 2 Likes   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Thanks for keeping us updated.

While I don't find any of the Pentax announcements super exciting and I probably won't be purchasing any of them, it is nice to see that they have listened to something we've been complaining about - AF. And hopefully it performs as well as they make it seem.

You guys expect too much... get out there and take some photos, enjoy your Pentax gear, appreciate what you have. Forget about the technological/FF/MP race because every year is the same thing and today's newest hottest cameras will be dated by next year.
I'm getting really tired of being told to go out and take photos.

This entire section of the forum is about new gear, up and coming gear, and rumours of gear.

Maybe there should be a forum section where the "mother" types can tell people to go outside and play?

09-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I'm getting really tired of being told to go out and take photos.

This entire section of the forum is about new gear, up and coming gear, and rumours of gear.

Maybe there should be a forum section where the "mother" types can tell people to go outside and play?

LOL! This is really very true!

Whilst going out shooting is lots of fun, seeing if your favourite brand will survive or not is important too.
09-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Well, I'm sure many of us (myself included) have OD'd on the endless predictions and tea leaf interpretations that have gone on in past months (at least), so it's understandable that there's an urge to get out and do something.
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #146

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

I'll ask that.

AFAIK, the extra low EV specification is linked to that f/2.8 feature. Does the K-30 have that spec too?
Thanks!

I believe AF-sensor sensitivity (despite the name) has more to do with AF accuracy.

As an example the Canon 7D has an AF range of -0.5EV up to 18EV yet it has an f/2.8-sensitive cross-type sensor ( Canon unveils EOS 7D high-end digital SLR: Digital Photography Review ).

Here you can find a nice explanation:
Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained
09-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just got done reading some of the comments on the "review" site concerning the Canon 6D and it looks the same as this thread... people talking how Canon has gone off the deep end and that the new products are huge disappointments compared to what others released (and that they'll have to jump brands.)

I think it holds true that it is easier to be disappointed by what you don't have than satisfied with what you do.

Last edited by sunny16; 09-17-2012 at 11:59 PM.
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #148
Inactive Account

The Eternal Truth!
One of my favourite sayings which I find invariably true is

Contentment is relative to expectations.

Read the previous pages with that in mind and it is easy to understand the great disappointment of some posters and the contentment of others. I am also reminded of that Christmas morning when two brothers come down the stairs to see what Father Christmas has brought them. In the middle of the floor is a large pile of horse manure. One brother cries out in anger "What good is a pile of horse manure?" The other brother shouts "All that horse manure means that there must be a pony!"And he begins to dig into the manure immediately looking for the animal.

Personally I will be content with a general statement of direction from Ricoh so that I know whether to invest more money in pentax lenses or continue with the few that I have. Tell 8us there is a serious future for Pentax DSLRs and I will be content.

Thank you for reading
cas lad
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL! This is really very true!

Whilst going out shooting is lots of fun, seeing if your favorite brand will survive or not is important too.
Not saying that I don't care because I do love my Pentax and the brand, but if they don't deliver what I (and you guys need), then too bad; there are other options out there; they can't satisfy everyone. If I love Mini Coopers, but need a pick-up truck, well too bad, I'll have to go with another car maker.
Sitting around and complaining and dreaming (even though I do admit, rumor threads are interesting to follow ) isn't going to make that new revolutionary camera appear, sadly...

I'm not criticizing their efforts, because they are trying to fix up issues such as the AF and SDM, which I really appreciate and am glad that they addressing and working things out before they take on something new.
This just isn't Pentaxe's strongest moment, after all. But don't forget, Pentax was the one who brought the wonderful K-5 to the table and the new K-30 is also pretty great. They've done it before, they can do it again.
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #150

Everyone is venting and showing their frustraation with the lack of Gorilla size punch Pentax is offering. We have to remember that Pentax is more like Fiat than Ferrari or BMW. They are the little guy who hits it well with less. The K-x, r and 30 are all great cameras for the money. The K-5 has been great agian for hte money and against its class of cameras still today. The k-30 is unbeatable in it's price range and it is new from the new Ricoh/Pentax team. The new Mark II is probably excellent for its class and worth the money. But we all want the big splash FF and I told you so Pentax is here. Not going to happen for atleast years to come because they are the chicago Cubs and you want them to be the Yankess.

I have a k-r and I really need a more pro camera. The new Nikon 600D looks fantastic for the money. FF and great looking sample pictures. But, like you, I have a few K mount lenses and a 360 flash and I want to use them on the k 3 or what ever. I don't want to buy the Nikon plus lenses and a good flash. I would be 3 grand inot it with one lenes and one flash. So it looks like the Pentax mark II will have to do. Maybe next year when Sony opens up the FF sensor, Pentax can jump in and make the quality of the k-5 with the Sony sensor and we all lift our glasses to Pentax and give three cheers!!! It's the glass that we own that keeps us slaves of hope in Pentax.
Racerdew