Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #211

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hcarvalhoalves,
the K-5 II has more than just lack of an AA flter if wanted, they added anew high-sensitivity CMOS sensor. Probably the one from the K-30 that has a higher resolution than the k-5. Yes it has the same prime sensor as the past k-5. The new AF sensor is promising to be better with a range from -3 EV up to 18 EV. This is pretty good. You can use a faster shutter resulting in a darker picture and then boost the EV up to add light and get the esposure you want with a faster shutter speed compared to without it. That's pretty nice to add to your camera. A better AF should help a lot. Sure, it is tweaking an old camera but for the better. There's not much out there in its class that is better. Maybe the Sony A77? Don't know yet...

Racerdew

09-18-2012, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #212
Veteran Member

At least you Kiwis HAVE a Pentax distributor. We hav e 1.2 billion people in India and no Pentax at all!
09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
At least you Kiwis HAVE a Pentax distributor. We hav e 1.2 billion people in India and no Pentax at all!
Having none might actually be better than having IRL. Or else you may be fooled into believing that it makes sense to have your camera serviced by IRL only to get back with a sensor still dirty, or get back after more than 9 months, still having an issue.

It not only makes sense for Kiwis to use parallel importers because of the price advantage, but also because they can avoid the IRL service this way.
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Sony Indutrial and specifically their sensor division is making bucketloads of cash. So much so they bought back fab operations in 2011 they had sold to Toshiba in only 2008. Sony dominates sensor supply worldwide. Their consumer products and media divisions are where the bleeding is.
Indeed, but will the corporation as a whole survive? I'm not so sure. And neither are shareholders - the performance on Nasdaq has been very bad, although there has been a recovery in September. Anyway, the OP was mainly talking about their former success with consumer products.

09-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, the future roadmap of the K-01 is unclear. There is no clear committment from Pentax.
What happened to the K-01-specific lenses? Not anything shown at Photokina? If they had a real commitment, I think they would have shown something.
09-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #216
Pentaxian

+1
Beats me why Pentax would p*ss away any goodwill in NZ with an agent that also sells coffee machines.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Having none might actually be better than having IRL. Or else you may be fooled into believing that it makes sense to have your camera serviced by IRL only to get back with a sensor still dirty, or get back after more than 9 months, still having an issue.

It not only makes sense for Kiwis to use parallel importers because of the price advantage, but also because they can avoid the IRL service this way.
09-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm curious regarding future plans for the Pentax USA pricing policy. Current MAP prices are insane
I know that Adam addressed that topic to Malcolm. I am not Amaerican, so I think Adam should cover any insight he may have gained.

Wrt NZ, I've already left PK, so I'll not be able to report that back.

09-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
FF has wider angles if your really needing those extra mm for wide angle photography
I've got a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 that gives me a 15mm (effective 35mm FOV) on APS-C. (Pentax only goes as wide as 12mm on their DA zoom). I'm told that on a full frame, my Sigma will cover full frame down to 13mm (though who knows how good the corners are). I don't know too many who are going to go wider than that on a full frame camera.
09-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #219
Veteran Member

At least you Kiwis HAVE a Pentax distributor. We have 1.2 billion people in India and no Pentax at all!
Sounds like you're all too busy having sex to take photo's anyway... .unless you do both at the same time.
09-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I agree with falconeye about Canon and sensor quality. The way sensor tech has evolved is towards a single mainstream supplier in the form of Sony, with all others playing catch-up (Canon, Samsung, Panasonic, Fuji, even Leica whose sensors have never thrilled anyone).

The new Olympus OM-D has decent IQ, so advances have been made there.

If you want pure sbsor-level IQ, however, a Sony sensor is where it's at.
The OM-D uses a Sony sensor.
09-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Thanks, Falk, for sharing this with us.

I'm curious regarding future plans for the Pentax USA pricing policy. Current MAP prices are insane (at B&H an imported Canon 70-200/2.8 L lens is cheaper than the Pentax 50-135/2.8) and many Pentaxians hope that the current situation where one can get a Pentax lens for 50% of the online price by phoning the dealer will be replaced with something more satisfactory.
Adam posted in another thread that the MAP is just that... and advertised price. If you call and ask for the best price you can save a bundle. If you just go on-line and check-out then you pay MAP. Pentax does don't dictate what they sell for, only what they advertise.
09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Adam posted in another thread that the MAP is just that... and advertised price. If you call and ask for the best price you can save a bundle. If you just go on-line and check-out then you pay MAP. Pentax does don't dictate what they sell for, only what they advertise.
Fine, granted for arguments sake. How does that sell more lenses and broaden the user base? Who calls vendors on the phone in 2012 and price checks unless they are already a committed user of a brand?
09-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Fine, granted for arguments sake. How does that sell more lenses and broaden the user base? Who calls vendors on the phone in 2012 and price checks unless they are already a committed user of a brand?
By raising the MAP the Pentax line becomes more appealing to brick and mortar stores who can not compete with on-line retailers.

You have a choice. Do you want the Pentax line to get exposure in B&M stores or do you want a cheaper advertised price? If Pentax is going to grow they need retail exposure. The ignorant need to be able to walk into a store and see it next to Canon and Nikon. They need to pick a K-5 up and play with it to know that it is an excellent camera with ergonomics that beat Canon and Nikon.
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
By raising the MAP the Pentax line becomes more appealing to brick and mortar stores who can not compete with on-line retailers.

You have a choice. Do you want the Pentax line to get exposure in B&M stores or do you want a cheaper advertised price? If Pentax is going to grow they need retail exposure. The ignorant need to be able to walk into a store and see it next to Canon and Nikon. They need to pick a K-5 up and play with it to know that it is an excellent camera with ergonomics that beat Canon and Nikon.
And that happens where? Target? We all have heard that line before, Ritz is closed, Atlanta has 1 non-bigbox retail camera outlet.
09-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #225
Pentaxian

we have 4 Million people and one Pentax distributor looking for a home...
maybe give them a call and make an offer ? Ian R. Little Ltd
They may have specials on the coffee machines