Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
See Schneider 28mm f/2.8 PC Super-Angulon Manual Focus 06-039789NO

"This version does not come with a lens mount. Optional mounts are available for all popular 35mm camera systems. By simply fitting different lens mounts on the lens, it can be adapted for different camera systems."
But...
Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8 Lens (For Pentax) and Schneider PC TS Super Angulon 90mm f/4.5 Lens (For Pentax) certainly are listed as having dedicated mounts.

09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
No, they all use interchangeable lens mounts. If you download the User Manual for the tilt-shift lenses from the Schneider Optics web page you will find the following statement in the technical diagram:

"Interchangeable camera-specific bayonet lens mount"

When you buy the Pentax variant it comes with the Pentax mount, but this is not a fixed mount. It can be exchanged for a Nikon, Sony or Canon mount. This a GREAT feature! First, if you decide to switch systems, or if you add a second system, you can use the lens on the new system (as long as it's Nikon, Canon, or Sony). Second, it helps to preserve the resale value of the lens, since you can sell it to users of other systems. Third, because adapters are easier to produce than dedicated lenses, it is unlikely that they will do what Voigtlander and Zeiss did and withdraw support for Pentax. (Fortunately I managed to acquire all of the Voigtlander APO-Lanthars before Cosina quit making them.)

A dedicated fixed mount is an overrated feature. For manual focus lenses such as these I much prefer an interchangeable mount. Sure, these lenses are expensive. But if they have superb performance they should hold their value, since they can be used on any of the major camera systems.

I am pleased to see that they are branching out to non-TS lenses. This is really exciting news! It will help feed the lens-buying addiction for those of us who love high-quality manual focus lenses.

Dan
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Huh - interesting. Nice to see that these are coming out for Pentax as well.

28 F4.5 Tilt shift - whoah...
85 F2.5 macro - Be interesting to see how well this compares with the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 105
35 F1.4 - huh.. this is pretty nice
50 F1.4 - Wonder what this one is priced at
Sigma dropped the 105 macro for k-mount.
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
No, they all use interchangeable lens mounts. If you download the User Manual for the tilt-shift lenses from the Schneider Optics web page you will find the following statement in the technical diagram:

"Interchangeable camera-specific bayonet lens mount"

When you buy the Pentax variant it comes with the Pentax mount, but this is not a fixed mount. It can be exchanged for a Nikon, Sony or Canon mount. This a GREAT feature! First, if you decide to switch systems, or if you add a second system, you can use the lens on the new system (as long as it's Nikon, Canon, or Sony). Second, it helps to preserve the resale value of the lens, since you can sell it to users of other systems. Third, because adapters are easier to produce than dedicated lenses, it is unlikely that they will do what Voigtlander and Zeiss did and withdraw support for Pentax. (Fortunately I managed to acquire all of the Voigtlander APO-Lanthars before Cosina quit making them.)

A dedicated fixed mount is an overrated feature. For manual focus lenses such as these I much prefer an interchangeable mount. Sure, these lenses are expensive. But if they have superb performance they should hold their value, since they can be used on any of the major camera systems.

I am pleased to see that they are branching out to non-TS lenses. This is really exciting news! It will help feed the lens-buying addiction for those of us who love high-quality manual focus lenses.

Dan
Thanks for the info Dan, definitely not a bad idea for a purely manual lens.

09-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Sigma dropped the 105 macro for k-mount.
Yes appears to be dropped, but... Still on the B&H site is the "ever to be released??" Sigma 150mm macro, retailing at about 11k. But then again it has been up on the site for a while, without any further news
09-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Yes appears to be dropped, but... Still on the B&H site is the "ever to be released??" Sigma 150mm macro, retailing at about 11k. But then again it has been up on the site for a while, without any further news
Sigma backed off that announcement a long time ago and it stayed up at BH. Outside of Tamron's 90, Sigma 50 & 70mm, and maybe Zeiss, there is no 3rd party macro lenses in production.

Last edited by Blue; 09-19-2012 at 06:52 AM.
09-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian

these lenses are like.... if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
09-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
these lenses are like.... if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

I checked up on theese and i almost fell of the chair. Are they really THAT good?

09-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
I checked up on theese and i almost fell of the chair. Are they really THAT good?
The currently available lenses are all Tilt-Shift lenses, which are very expensive regardless of brand. The Canon TS lenses run $1200-$2500. The Nikons are priced from $1600-$2000. The Schneiders are north of $3000 so they cost more than the Canons and Nikons, but they are not an order of magnitude more expensive.

The exciting news from my perspective is the announcement that they will be offering high quality non-TS lenses:

- Makro-Symmar 85mm f/2.4
- Xenon 35mm f/1.4
- Xenon 50mm f/1.4

These will be cheaper than the TS lenses, which is not to say that they will be "cheap". Hopefully this is just the beginning. I would like to see something like a 24mm f/1.8.

It will be interesting to see how the new lenses perform.

Dan
09-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
Dan

Hey, I just noticed that you are Norwegian. Wages are so high in Norway that you should be able to buy the full set of Super-Angulons.

My brother is a factory worker in Norway. He's spending this month on his sailboat in Greece. (I'm not kidding.) Besides, prices are relative. One of these lenses is not much more than a few meals out at the Credo in Trondheim.

Dan
09-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Hey, I just noticed that you are Norwegian. Wages are so high in Norway that you should be able to buy the full set of Super-Angulons.

My brother is a factory worker in Norway. He's spending this month on his sailboat in Greece. (I'm not kidding.) Besides, prices are relative. One of these lenses is not much more than a few meals out at the Credo in Trondheim.

Dan

That is only true for some sectors . I'm an engineer at a university, and the wages (compared to other sectors) are dreadfull. A similar position in the oil industry would pay $ 35.000 more a year ($ rate of 6 NOK). Another thing you have to take into account is the insane housing prices in the cities.

But yes. In general we have it very good.

I have not yet been to Credo, but everyone says it is very good.
09-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #27
Dan

That is only true for some sectors . I'm an engineer at a university, and the wages (compared to other sectors) are dreadfull. A similar position in the oil industry would pay $ 35.000 more a year ($ rate of 6 NOK). Another thing you have to take into account is the insane housing prices in the cities.

But yes. In general we have it very good.

I have not yet been to Credo, but everyone says it is very good.
I am in the same sector (I'm a professor at a university), and so I feel your pain. When colleagues visit from Norway we compare notes on pay. I'm always shocked by the low salaries in academia in Norway. On the other hand many Norwegian universities have insanely good sabbatical policies, which provides lots of time for travel to interesting photography venues where they can use their tilt-shift lenses! (How's that for bringing it back on topic?)

Dan
09-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Sigma backed off that announcement a long time ago and it stayed up at BH. Outside of Tamron's 90, Sigma 50 & 70mm, and maybe Zeiss, there is no 3rd party macro lenses in production.
The question is not what is listed, but what is actually selling. Schneider will make 100 K mounts and use them up as needed. Zeiss is not offering all their lenses in K-mount anymore, so it is partly surprising that Schneider wants to cover that customer base - if there is any. Schneider has not offered large aperture lenses for 35mm sensors in a VERY long time. They are famous for wide angles, macros and industrial lenses. I am sure they know how to do the job, but specs alone don't make one happy yet.
If you want the Schneider lens, you typically not operating a Pentax... the dimensions of most lenses don't really fit, but some people will always go for it.