Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
Hands-On at Photokina and the Pentax Booth

Photokina 2012 in Pictures: A Tour - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com





It was certainly a fun day- and now you can read all about what we saw and heard


09-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Thanks Adam. Of note, this is encouraging:

Pentax representatives that we talked to couldn't refute that those who are patient will be rewarded with some great Pentax products in the future!* It may be tempting to switch to another brand now that both Canon and Nikon have affordable full-frame bodies, but there are certain things that even they cannot beat Pentax at, and that's why we're confident that Pentax will be making a big comeback under Ricoh's leadership.
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Member
VTerlakyPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 106
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Adam. Of note, this is encouraging:

Pentax representatives that we talked to couldn't refute that those who are patient will be rewarded with some great Pentax products in the future!* It may be tempting to switch to another brand now that both Canon and Nikon have affordable full-frame bodies, but there are certain things that even they cannot beat Pentax at, and that's why we're confident that Pentax will be making a big comeback under Ricoh's leadership.
Sigh, this is exactly what I found the most discouraging quote from the entire article. Translated into English this simply means "We have no plans currently *at all* for future products. We know that, save a few features, we're beat by the competition. We're hoping that, despite the pull to greener pastures, these few features will be enough for you to stick around, so sometime in the future we may at some point actually release new stuff that is competitive."

Sorry, but the line "...couldn't refute..." is simply a lawyers way to say nothing while sounding good. On the same note I cannot refute that I have money-printing pixies in my back-yard....
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Adam. Of note, this is encouraging:

Pentax representatives that we talked to couldn't refute that those who are patient will be rewarded with some great Pentax products in the future!* It may be tempting to switch to another brand now that both Canon and Nikon have affordable full-frame bodies, but there are certain things that even they cannot beat Pentax at, and that's why we're confident that Pentax will be making a big comeback under Ricoh's leadership.
The salesman said what you wanted to hear, while actually telling you nothing. He's a good salesman ! Vaporware, that is what we call it in the world of software development. It will be interesting to see what Pentax execs have to say about the future, but it's going to have to be awfully convincing if they wish to sustain such high hopes.

p.s. the Fuji blonde made a good impression obviously ;-) she should be handling a Q10 !

09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,248
Adam..... but you promise FF is real. Sigh...
looks like you know nothing more than us did.... :P
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Adam..... but you promise FF is real. Sigh...
looks like you know nothing more than us did.... :P
That first photo looks "full-framed" too me
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Nice, looking forward to it, and visiting on wednesday.
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,988
Obviously they will have to release *something* in the future, so there is a roadmap somewhere, we just don't know what's on it.

09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 465
QuoteOriginally posted by VTerlakyPhoto Quote
Sigh, this is exactly what I found the most discouraging quote from the entire article. Translated into English this simply means "We have no plans currently *at all* for future products. We know that, save a few features, we're beat by the competition. We're hoping that, despite the pull to greener pastures, these few features will be enough for you to stick around, so sometime in the future we may at some point actually release new stuff that is competitive."

Sorry, but the line "...couldn't refute..." is simply a lawyers way to say nothing while sounding good. On the same note I cannot refute that I have money-printing pixies in my back-yard....
Lol. The first thing I thought when reading that line was that Adam's day job is lawyer.

But Pentax's non-response does not mean they have no plans. Ricoh didn't buy Pentax simply for the rush of kissing $100M goodbye.

Pentax most assuredly has plans, they do have new products in the pipeline, and they will be announced when they're ready to market them.
09-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Adam. Of note, this is encouraging:

Pentax representatives that we talked to couldn't refute that those who are patient will be rewarded with some great Pentax products in the future!* It may be tempting to switch to another brand now that both Canon and Nikon have affordable full-frame bodies, but there are certain things that even they cannot beat Pentax at, and that's why we're confident that Pentax will be making a big comeback under Ricoh's leadership.
Yeah, and jam tomorrow...
09-17-2012, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,129
What ever happened to just being happy?

Why is "new" so exciting to you lot?

Hugs his K10, carries on with life :P
09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 332
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
What ever happened to just being happy?

Why is "new" so exciting to you lot?

Hugs his K10, carries on with life :P
You just don't get it do you? The newest is the greatest and the best. Until you get a K20 (like me) you will never understand. Shheesh! Some people.
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
p.s. the Fuji blonde made a good impression obviously ;-) she should be handling a Q10 !
Didn't even notice what she was holding.
What are we talking about?
Maybe Pentax needs more booth babes to distract users from the lack of a FF body
09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,129
EXACTLY!

People matter, Girls in booths matter. cameras of different size sensors, geees are we that boring. :P


*goes to find some booth babes*

QuoteQuote:
You just don't get it do you? The newest is the greatest and the best. Until you get a K20 (like me) you will never understand. Shheesh! Some people.
Shhhh found some babes :P
09-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Can someone fill me in what is on the GXR in the photos? I can understand how everyone missed it with that Blond- Pentax, whats a Pentax??...lol
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photokina 2012: First impressions by Falk Lumo falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 246 06-18-2013 04:51 AM
K30 First impressions and some photos TJWest Pentax K-30 & K-50 13 08-09-2012 12:35 PM
Landscape Phone Booth vinni Post Your Photos! 2 09-11-2011 04:28 PM
Pentax Booth @ Photokina 2010 fs999 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 7 10-02-2010 05:29 PM
Funny comment heard at Pentax booth at Toronto show Donald Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 05-07-2007 07:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top